The Dilpomacy Database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dilpomacy Database

I'm hoping to start a database of knowledge on Civ 3's diplomacy.

Perhaps those with a lot of experience with the game's intricate and somewhat hard to understand diplomacy system can chime in with their observations.

Particularly needed are cause and effect stuff

in example: Break Rop --> AI won't trade ROP

I'd appreciate it if people will keep their rants about the AI elsewhere. Just tips for otherplayers please.

Thanks
    AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
    Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
    Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

How to fight a strong civ who outresearches you

Settings: There is a far away civ who has a strong infrastructure and discovers techs faster than you. This happened in a recent game of mine on Emperor level, random settings who gave an archipelago map. I was the Babylonians and the rival civ was America. What do you do in such a situation? They are far away, therefore you will need a lot of time to get to their territory, by the time you get there they may have better units etc.

What I did: I contact the Americans and ask to buy technology. They have free artistry, scientific method, communism and replaceable parts. I buy RP, I don't give them any cash but agree to pay 120 gold per turn. Then I negotiate peace. Since their forces outnumber mine they ask for "something" in order to agree to a peace treaty. I let negotiations fail. Now I am at war and I don't have to pay the 120 per turn.

I contact all the other civs and ask them to ally with me against America. They ask for money, or a resourse or a technology. I give them whatever they want. Now America is at war with everybody. That's all. Essentially I got RP for nothing and have my rival at war with all the others. I continue with Democracy and have no unrest because my forces are within my borbers and no battles ever took place. America is far away and too busy fighting the others she has borders with, to send an expeditionary force to invade me. The 20 turns pass quickly, I cancel my alliances and sign a peace treaty with America. The others, or most of the others are still at war

Poor America doesn't research as fast anymore. My relations with the other civs are good (I kept my treaty with them and "fought against" a common enemy)

-

Comment

Alkis, this is a very effective strat I often use. Should you post it in Sir Ralph's thread on this very topic?

Comment

keep the posts coming guys
        AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
        Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
        Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

Ok here's another but this is one isn't mine. It's Sir Ralph's (TM)!

Suppose you play a scientific civ and you have made contact with non scientific civs only. You still need currency and contruction to get out of the ancient times. Someone else had contruction already and he just discovered currency.

This is what you do: You buy from him both currency and construction, supposing you have got the money. Then you enter the middle ages and because you are scientific you get Monotheism. You sell him Monotheism and you get your money back. Nice and easy.

Txurce, I already did that but without all the details.

Comment

Break a trade treaty (by declaring war) where you are giving gold/turn .
            --> AIs will be really reluctant in accepting gold/turn trades from you for the rest of the game.
            Other type of trades will be hard to got too.

It's funny seeing foreign advisor going from "this deal will probably be acceptable" to "they would never accept such deal", by adding gold/turn from to the trade.
            "In some of its more lunatic aspects, political correctness is merely ridiculous. But in the thinking behind it, there is something more sinister which is shown by the fact that already there are certain areas and topics where freedom of speech, in the sense of the right to open and frank discussion, is being gradually but significantly eroded." -- Judge Neil Denison

Comment

Working...
            X