Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the AI handle multiple strategy units?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the AI handle multiple strategy units?

This has bugged me for a while, and I'm close to an answer. However still one thing remains to sort out...

Lets take the Rifleman as an example of a multiple strategy unit (just to make it a little less abstract).

Rifleman is set both to be Offenseive and Defensive.
    This means that the BIC has two Rifleman units in it: One offensive and one defensive. When you play you only see one of the units, namely the offensive. However, the AI sees both and builds both of the units.

So long that's it idf the AI need an defensive unit it will build a defensive Rifleman. Now to what I haven't sorted out yet:

What happens if you destroy say 50% of an AI's defensive Riflemen, but don't kill a Single offensive?

Will it use the offensive Riflemen as a replacement for the defensive, or will it Keep all of them on offense, even thou it needs more defense?
    Have anyone noticed any strange behavior from the AI when deling with multiple strategy units, anmd the AI have lost a great deal of them?
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

I wasn't aware that outwardly-identical units such as the rifleman may be programmed to primarily serve as offensive or defensive units. If so, it's... disappointing.

In most of my games, riflemen are defensive. I'd think it would be very hard to keep track of one particular enemy unit's behavior.

Comment

Yes, it's hard. However, I'm 100% sure that both units exists in saves.

Comment

Gramphos, can you share as to where do these beliefs come from?

I have been attacked by lots of AI Infantry in 1.21f, but it also uses the units defensively. It's so good to no longer see Longbowmen from an AI without Oil.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

It come from me working with my multitool. I was testing out different things, and checked on some (Roman) cities what units were in them.

One particular city had a big number of Legionaries. I then changed to the units tab to see if I could get more info about these units. So I set it to filer for Legionaries in that city, and I only found about a third of the units listed on the city tab. I stated to investigate why (thinking it was a bug with my tool) when I realizxed that the missing units were another Legionarry type (in the bottom of the list)

I compared the types, and the difference was that the first had it strategy set to offensive and the second were defensive.

As I said I don't know how the AI acts if all defensive units are killed. however, I know that the only units not in cities were offensive.

Comment

Now this does then raise a very interesting point, as you said in your first post, as to using units on both purposes. Wish Soren came here.

Comment

Do yuo think it can have any connenction with this?

Comment

Uhmm I read that thread, yes. You know, I really believe this is something we can hardly solve without a post from Firaxis. In case it is so, that's a huge AI weakness. It surely should be ready to use the same unit on both purposes depending on the situation.

Soren, plz post.

Comment

Another issue is of the upgrading. I think that both units will upgrade to the one wlagged offensive (if multiple strategies for that unit as well)

Soren, where are you?

Comment

hi ,

Gramphos , Solver , some players have put as barbarian units rifleman , advanced as infantry , and behold , the AI seems to use them very nice , ...

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

To answer your question... when I added some offensive flags to some traditionally defensive units, I found that the AI would attack with massed stacks of 'defenders' (infantry and mech infantry) in addition to 'attackers.'

I also found that they would frequently ABANDON their cities, leaving them utterly defenseless, if such flags were set. And yes, they were set to offense AND defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Nakar Gabab
                        To answer your question... when I added some offensive flags to some traditionally defensive units, I found that the AI would attack with massed stacks of 'defenders' (infantry and mech infantry) in addition to 'attackers.'

I also found that they would frequently ABANDON their cities, leaving them utterly defenseless, if such flags were set. And yes, they were set to offense AND defense.
                        Now that is interesting. Pretty much answers the question I guess. It also answers the question of why the AI only leaves a couple of defenders in its cities to oppose my stack of 12 invading tanks whilst marching around in my territory with a stack of 50 some infantry. By the time the AI's attacking stack gets in range of one of my cities I've already taken most of his...

"Too easy." - Any ut 'bot.

Cheers,
                        "There's screws loose, bearings
                        loose --- aye, the whole dom thing is
                        loose, but that's no' the worst o' it."
                        -- "Mr. Glencannon" - Guy Gilpatrick

Comment

Growing even more sure we need a post from Soren .

Comment

I've seen the AI use them in both offensive and defensive roles. I would assume this would be based on their attack/defense ratings. Or perhaps each unit has a predetermined method of how they are used by the AI.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Nakar Gabab

hi ,

okay , seen that , but why will the AI not put units on more squares , ....and why will the AI , when he comes , if he comes (!) , always put these large , giant stacks , that need like 2 screens to read , .....

have a nice day
                              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
                              X