Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Style Fighting (Off your own territory)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Style Fighting (Off your own territory)

Why do people always try to take there content? I always find it much better to take other people's. if you are fighting a war on the other side of the world you are much better off. Particularly when you are just getting coracles.Bulid 6 or 7 of them you have quick transporting and can easily dominate the seas. That means no drop off on your continent but you can dropping off at your leaser on the other continets.All you can lose is military troops. If you have enough variety and size of units you can make it through with few losses.

If you are all grouped together by land no sweat. Pick an enemy on the other side of the world drop off there and don't allow there ships to go around either side. It takes a while even on a horse to cross other civs territory. Even though the AI can cross other AI's terriorty with a right of passage agreement. If you ally with another civilizations against them they can't cross then anyway.

This strategy shows the advantages of a strong navy. In modern times if a civ can't move by water they will have trouble fighting if they are not next to you. This will be particularly true in multiplayer when they can't just walk through other civs land. This shows that a navy at least half the size of your ground troops can be very helpful.

This idea is not really hurt by civs taking to the air. They often can't get in range of you. You should be able to use the air better then them anyway.

So in summation be respectful to your neighbors but not those damn far off foreigners!

Good points. The enemy that is far off can hurt you less than the enemy who is near to you.

But I don't really see how "American Style Fighting" is a pertinent title.
    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

I have played this style before. It has good benefits, in that you can crush a weeker civ (on an off-shore island) and thus add to you might; however the corruption problem means those cities are of little productive use. Also, taking far away civs on the same continent can cause you to have a great many number of fronts to fight on in the later stages of the gam. Multi-front wars are not cool.
      "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
      --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President
        Think of it as a compliment: only the US has the capability to fight wars in far away countries
        In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
        In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President
          Good points. The enemy that is far off can hurt you less than the enemy who is near to you.

When was the last time war took place in America. LEt's see, SEptember 11, and Pearl HArbour, and that's it for the past century. The other 30 or so wars America has been involved in in the past fifty years or so were not on US soil, which is why September 11th seemed like such a big thing.
          "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
          -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Correct the only actual wars fought on American turf where the revolutionary War, The War of 1812, and The Civil War and then we became a world power only vulnerable to terrorist attacks If even that

Comment

Ummm... Pearl Harbor. The Aleutians. Every attack on a US embassy.
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

9/11 was no war, it was an act of terrorism and hence a crime. Wars can be between countries or alliances, not between some criminal citizens and a country. It were the US who made a war out of it.

On topic: I don't like much to fight wars far from home. That, because the benefit of capturing one shield cities is usually very low. If luxuries, resources or wonders are involved, it's another thing. If I fight such wars, I usually try to limit them.

Another thing is, if my outposts get attacked. In this case I perform huge invasions and usually wipe the attacker out completely.

Comment

To me, it doesn't really feel like American tactics untill you get helicopters, paratroops, marines and transports.

No matter what civ I am, when I'm conducting a long-range strike with those troops, it seems very Vietnam.
                  'Say, what are those Russians with the funny hats doing?'

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                    I consider Pearl Habour a terriost attack. It was a bombing at peace time between Japan and US even though the rest of the world was fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                      Here's what he meant to say.... Ever since 1812 there has been no troops or attacks on the continental United States. You could also say the States. Hawaii and Alaska were not states.

The Heart and soul has not been threatened by another sovergn power.

Comment

Fair enough.

However, bringing this back into Civ and Aplyton, I consider every incursion upon my interests, whatever the form, to be a wakening call for the sleeping giant.
                        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

An option to reduce corruption on a foreign continent is to save your foreign palace for that continent or to move your capital to it, that way you can be sure both zones of your Civ will be productive.

Comment

An option to reduce corruption on a foreign continent is to save your foreign palace for that continent or to move your capital to it, that way you can be sure both zones of your Civ will be productive.

This is good advice. I find when I build the Forbidden Palace on another Island, it becomes very productive. However, on large maps and continents the influence wanes very quickly.

PS. Neat nick-name; Objectivist.
                            "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
                            --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Originally posted by Sean

This is good advice. I find when I build the Forbidden Palace on another Island, it becomes very productive. However, on large maps and continents the influence wanes very quickly.

PS. Neat nick-name; Objectivist.
                              The better way to do this is to build your forbidden palace in your center of production/income (ie your oldest, biggest, baddest cities) and then move around your palace. Not building a forb. palace when you can initially will put you way behind, and since you cant move it place it in your 'big city zone's' center. Then you can move your palace anywhere. Its funny cause most of the time I want to build my forb. palace at my capitol, but that isnt allowed.
                              "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X