The Breath of God: Only the Penitent Man shall pass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Breath of God: Only the Penitent Man shall pass

This thread is the result of my musings on Vel's "The Virtues of Being Industrious." Specifically, Vel concluded that Industrious is THE best trait. Though he presented many good points in favor of Industriousness, I (after some in-game testing) disagree with that conclusion.

*DISCLAIMER: I play primarily on Monarch, and accept the possibility (though I doubt it) that playing on Diety boosts the relative power of Industriousness*

Why it's good to have God on your side

Religious, IMHO, narrowly beats out Industrious as the #1 trait in the game. Combine the two and you will find a wonderful civ to play, as many have discovered already. But our discussion here is about 1 trait over another, not combinations.

Let us examine the advantages of each:

Industrious:

2x worker speed
    1 extra shield in size 13+ cities

Double-speed workers are, clearly, what this trait is all about. And it is very, very nice. Roads, irrigation and mines go up with shocking speed, at a time where a few roads and mines can really make a difference. Also, as Vel pointed out, aggressive roadbuilding for troop movement is also quickly done. Even the slaves you will soon capture work faster than they normally would.

It is a primarily early game trait, because its real strength lies in developing your basic terrain improvements faster than your neighbors, which allows quick expansion and/or conquest. There are two other, though less important, boost phases: upon the switch out of despotism, when mined hills & mountians are suddenly worthwhile (those take a long time for non-industrious workers to road/mine) and upon the discovery of steam power. Clearly, if you start near a large jungle, Industrious becomes even better.

Religious:

1/2 price temples & cathedrals
    1 turn anarchy

This trait is also about speed. But a different kind of speed. Religious civs can get their temples up and running very quickly (30 shields is pretty darn easy to do, especially when 1pop = 20 shields). This means two things: 1) quick border expansion & linkup; and 2) An early cultural advantage. Later on, you save 80 shields per cathedral. That's a lot of shields boys and girls. But just as important is the time you save switching governments. Anarchy for non-religious civs is what, 4 turns minimum? A religious civ can switch government many times with hardly any penalty. I often use a despot -> monarchy -> republic -> democracy government path when playing a religious civ. When playing a non-religious civ... lets just say the 2nd and 4th gov'ts were cut out entirely, and I STILL spent more time in anarchy.

So why do I favor religious over industrious? It's really a combination of factors: Culture, Happiness, and Tech (I'll explain that last one, I promise).

CULTURE: is extremely important in CivIII, and having more culture than your neighbors is a real advantage. Early in the game, the AI is particularly bad at building cultural improvements, so you will often find yourself surrounded by civs who are in awe of you. That's good for diplomacy, but it's GREAT for war. How so? Culture flips quite honestly, are gonna be all in your favor. Further, rushing temples in captured towns is really easy. As a despot or communist, you can either blow 2 pop points (sometimes desirable in a capitol) or wait 10 turns and use 1. With a non-poprush government, you're gonna save a lot of money.

A second part of this, not to be overlooked, is the fact that without culture, a city may only use the immediately surrounding squares. IF (and I know there are many who do not) one builds one's cities with the full 21-square radius in mind, you will be missing out on bonus tiles until you have 10 culture points. Religious civs can quickly expand those border to get at bonus or resource tiles.

HAPPINESS: keeping your people happy is easier too. I've played non-religious civs, and spending 60 shields on (what I consider to be) an esssential building early in the game is BRUTAL. Same thing, to a lesser degree, with mid-game cathedrals (160 shields... you gotta be kiddin' me, right?). Happiness can be crucial. Less need to rely on luxury spending or lux. resource imports, easier to get into WLTKD, which of course reduces waste. A happy civ is a more powerful civ.

TECHNOLOGY: It's simple, really. 4 turns wasted in anarchy is essentially 1 tech lost. In ancient times you're not getting 1 tech in 4 turns, it's true, but later on you're getting them in 4 turns with money to spare, so it evens out. The less time you spend in anarchy, the more you can get done, both in terms of research and city builds. It adds up.

Finally, one point about the speed of industrious workers: while they are nice, cities don't often grow fast enough to outstrip the ability of workers to develop terrain. Cities with lots of floodplains and mountains are the exception here, of course, but by and large, non-industrious workers can do the job. If augmented with large numbers of slaves... the half-speed no longer matters (slaves are free).

Any way you cut it, Civ is about turn advantage. If you can build and learn faster than the enemy, you win. And though Industrious is the obvious "speed" attribute, Religious is actually the Ferrari here.

[Dennis Miller Voice] Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong[/Dennis Miller Voice]

Discuss.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Thread link to Vel's Industrious Thread:

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Re: The Breath of God: Only the Penitent Man shall pass

Originally posted by Arrian
      CULTURE: is extremely important in CivIII, and having more culture than your neighbors is a real advantage. Early in the game, the AI is particularly bad at building cultural improvements, so you will often find yourself surrounded by civs who are in awe of you. That's good for diplomacy, but it's GREAT for war. How so? Culture flips quite honestly, are gonna be all in your favor.
      Actually, I think this is the most important part of being religious. In a recent Regent game (testing some cultural attack ideas) with the Eqyptians, I had at least 20 times the culture of the other civs on my continent by the middle ancient era. I started putting down cities 2 squares from another civ's towns when the distance ratio was huge, and one city 3 squares from another civs capitol actually flipped to me. This is because it takes on the order of 20 military per foreign square or citizen in this case to prevent a flip. And a single garrison was enought to prevent my city from flipping, with change to spare.

Regardless, even on higher levels, this trait will give a chance to remain competetive in the culture game, which is 90% of the game as far as I am concerned (builder).

Any way you cut it, Civ is about turn advantage.
      Of course, but the real question is what kind of turn advantage are you going to net yourself? Shields, culture, or gold? And I will take culture as a #1 almost everytime, so long as you have the basic defenses available (otherwise it's shields).
      Fitz. (n.) Old English
      1. Child born out of wedlock.
      2. Bastard.

Comment

Fitz,

It's funny that you see it that way, as a builder, and I couldn't agree more... as a warmonger. I am consistently amazed by the repeated whining about culture flipping, because it almost never happens to me. I routinely capture my enemy's capitol, stick a few healing units in there, rush a temple, bring up a defender, move the now-healed units out and forget about it. Like you said, the ratio of your culture to your opponent's is a MAJOR factor in the flip equation.

-Arrian

Comment

As for early culture wars, don't underestimate the library. A scientific civ gets 1/2 price libraries, which net you 3 music notes per turn, more than the temple. If you are pumping out settlers anyway, the temple can come much later before happiness is ever a concern.
          The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
          intelligence to few.

Comment

Marquis,

Yes, cheap libraries and universities are nice (I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Babs), and the libraries do come fairly early... but the ability to build those 1/2 price temples begins on turn 1 (not that you would do it THAT early) for religious civs. So that's a lot of accumulated culture while you're researching your way to literature.

I like scientific as a trait, but I have to rank it fourth for my current style of play. When I was a builder, it came in third. I leave expansionist out of "ranking" at this point, because it is so evident that map settings can take it from #1 to #6.

-Arrian

Comment

A splendid piece!

And, it looks as though we're not far apart at all in our analysis of the traits....just minor shades of variation in how we value each aspect that leads me to the thinking that Industrious nudges out Religious,and vice versa for you, but yes! You have summed up exactly how both traits shake out IMO! I think the reason that I value Industrious slightly higher than Religious is the 'right now' impact that the industrious trait brings to the table -- I view Industrious-driven conquest as being a "shieldless" methodology to happiness, and once the dust settles on those ancient era conquests I can pursue the game in an almost leisurely fashion (all the major opponents are dead)-- but every single word you've written about the Religious trait rings true in my ears.... Arrian, it's an absolute masterpiece!

-=Vel=-
              The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

And, it looks as though we're not far apart at all in our analysis of the traits....just minor shades of variation in how we value each aspect that leads me to the thinking that Industrious nudges out Religious,and vice versa for you...
                Hence the fact that the two test games (one Japanese, one Chinese) ended up pretty equal... but I enjoyed the Japanese game more.

-Arrian

Comment

Religious is by far the best trait, that's true. But I would surely miss to play a lot civs, that are not blessed with it, if I would stick with it.

There are other useful traits, but they are limited to a map setting. Expansionist trumps at huge pangaea and is nil at archipelago. Militaristic is good at standard and less maps. Industrious can be your saver, if you start at poor terrain (you can't always restart, only think MP). Commercial is the weakest, but it seems to me (no investigation done) that it's more useful on larger maps (more cities in the "2-shield-zone"). Scientific and religious don't depend on the map, they are always good.

Scientific comes close: Halfprice libraries, halfprice universities, 3 free techs, bigger culture than with religious. Compared with halfprice temples, halfprice cathedrals and basically also 3 free techs (1 turn anarchy), if there was not the happiness issue. I can safely let a city without a library and an university. I can make it without that goddamn science at all, extorting techs from my enemies. But I can not keep my citizens content without temples and cathedrals. Hence, religious trumps.

Good article, Arrian!

But who the heck is Dennis Miller?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                    Scientific comes close: Halfprice libraries, halfprice universities, 3 free techs, bigger culture than with religious. Compared with halfprice temples, halfprice cathedrals and basically also 3 free techs (1 turn anarchy), if there was not the happiness issue. I can safely let a city without a library and an university. I can make it without that goddamn science at all, extorting techs from my enemies. But I can not keep my citizens content without temples and cathedrals. Hence, religious trumps.

Although I play Roma 99.9999999999% of the time... I do find the babs very appealing just from what you said right there.

BTW: Dennis Miller is a comendian. He was on SNL for a few seasons and was in various movies. He's now a Football comentator... I think.
                    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

I too prefer religious, with industrious as a close second.
                      "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                      -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

"God created Civ3 to train the faithful. One cannot go against the word of God."
                        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Except to go with the word of Mars. Roma Victor!
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Play the egyptians, and no need to choose.

For what it's worth IMO for a builder game religious is best, with industrious 2nd. For a conquest/domination game religious and industrious both aren't that great (though religious is better for domination than conquest). In this case militaristic is the only trait really worth having, and UU is more important, so your choice should be predicated on those 2 factors.

Comment

I find the attributes so close it is hard to choose. If anything, the Industrious may sneak out ahead by a little IMHO. I've sinced lumped Religious, Scientific, Militaristic, and Expansionist close together, with very little to part them. Commercial still drags up the rear and has not climbed out of its hole yet. So, I very much agree with your argument, but find myself slightly differing in opinion on the importance of some details.

I agree happiness and culture are important and often times critical, but it can be achieved in other ways. Therefore, while I deem them important, I don't consider Temples the "critical" building. Here is my counter to your 3 points. Not to put Religious below other traits, but the reason I see them as quite even.

Happiness: 1 gold off the luxury slider equals the maintenance of a temple and gives me a happy face instead of a content one. 1 military police "may" be 1 maintenance and also gives me the content face. Therefore, non-Religious civs can produce cheaper units for the same happiness effect. Saying building Temples early with non-R civs is BRUTAL is quite correct, and as a result, I'll instead build a warrior or spearman for the same effect. It doesn't produce culture, but it also comes maintenance free with Despotism and defends the town too.

Culture: As pointed out, scientific buildings produce more culture than the religious buildings but are produced later. I think this may balance them out, especially since I don't have all my cities by the time I usually hit Literature. Then by the time Universities come out, they are the culture monster at 4 per turn (same culture as many wonders) and the same argument can be made on Universities for non-scientific civs than Cathedrals for non-Religious civs.

Anarchy: I can't find much to argue there, except to say that I find in civ if I am not warmongering till I get a definitive edge in territory, I'm not headed to victory as easily as I could. After this point, it doesn't matter what civ I am or which government I choose or which traits I have - I will win. It could be just my style, but I find I can not out-build the AIs on Emporer as well as I can beat them up with a military force. As a result, few of my games feature many government changes and I value this bonus less.

Now, compare a Religious civ to a non-R and non-Sci civ and the comparison is much tougher. I dare not extend this reply much further but only to say that I find I am missing some culture if I don't have one of those traits.

Comment

Working...
                              X