Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading

What is required to uprade a unit?

Sometimes I can updgrade and sometimes i can't. In my current game as the indians I have a bunch of warriors ready to become swordsmen and I have researched iron working and have it in the resource box. What else do I need?

Barracks in the same city the troops are in.

- ICMB

Comment

Yup, you need a barracks in the same city as the warriors to upgrade.

Although not directly applicable to your situation (warriors - swordsmen), I thought I'd also let people know that I encountered an upgrade problem that really caught me off guard. I happened to fall way behind the various AI civs and found myself with neither saltpeter nor the military strength to go take some saltpeter. No problem, I thought, I'll play very, very nice until Nationalism, and upgrade to riflemen then (skipping over musketmen, which require saltpeter; riflemen do not). Built a bunch of pikemen in the meantime, both as a deterrant and as an "upgrade force" for when I hit Nationalism. Discovered Nationalism; went to upgrade; could not upgrade one single pikeman! until, of course, I sold my first-born for a supply of saltpeter -- then I could upgrade straight to riflemen. Tells me that the upgrade algorithm clearly looks at steps: i.e., spearman to infantry is actually spearman to pikeman, pikeman to musketman, musketman to rifleman, rifleman to infantry; which means you effectively need iron, saltpeter, and rubber to upgrade that lowly spearman!

Catt

Comment

Also, Mac versions seem to have a bug when upgrading to a UU.

Comment

Catt, the new Vel.

I don't know why or how, but you seem to be discovering new aspects of the game on an ongoing basis.

I've got a new one too: GL generation is not as simple as we thought. I screwed up moving an elite-leader Cav (again, that's an elite who has already created a GL), and re-loaded. I figured, what the heck, and used an old elite Swordsman to generate the GL, planning to disband him afterwards... NO GL!!!! I tested this 3 times... the Cav creates the GL, the Swordsman does not!
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

You two are little gemstones.
            I'll give 1000 gpt and Synthetic Materials for Theseus and Catt as MPPs in MP

-Jam
            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Working...
            X