Buy or research?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy or research?

It's my observation that many people prefer to run science low, and buy it from the other civs. Others still follow the traditional reseach methods.

I have tried out both, and I must say I strongly favor research. Not only it's my style, it also seems better from the strategic viewpoint. If you buy techs, you won't get any faster than the best AI civ, while if you research, you can actually get ahead in tech.

Above that, if you research and decide to sell the techs you got, it's an instant source of income, one that can keep you running more science for even MORE tech.

What's your take on this?
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Hi Solver:

Interesting observation. I tend to play a hybrid style. What I mean is that in the early game I set research low and just buy all my techs.

Later once I have a reasonable infrastructure in place I increase research a little but still lean towards a decent income.

Later still once I have many marketplaces, banks, libraries, universities, and 4-5 size 8+ cities I increase research even further, surviving on 5-12 gold per turn income. My tech buying at this point decreases, while I look for any buyers of my tech. I find that I'm usually behind only the strongest AI WRT to techs this way.

My two cents..............
    signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Thanks for the opinion. This is exactly what I dislike - being behind the strongest AI. Generally when I'm behind in tech I don't feel too secure, either.

Also, I will usually play a game with less income from taxes, just for more tech... the income is there from the others.

Comment

I was doing fairly well in version 1.16f as far as researching and selling techs. But when 1.17f and 1.21f came out my playstyle had to change. I just couldn't stay in the lead anymore by pure research alone like I used to.

Do you play using the 1.21f patch and if so how do you maintain your tech lead?

Comment

Yes, I do now play with 1.21f patch, and don't maintain the tech lead anymore? I'm somewhere a tech or two behind the best AI all the time, and am not the world's most powerful country.

Comment

I haven't played enough with 1.21f to comment there but in higher level 1.17f games it wasn't worth having research infrastructure until the start of the modern age or just before. In those games buying tech and favouring markets over libraries and banks over universities was the best strategy. On Monarch even in 1.17f you could get and maintain a tech lead, so researching on that level was arguably more worthwhile.

Comment

DrSpike:

Agreed however I find that one must occasionally build libraries and unis only to maintain a respectable culture value.

Comment

When playing 1.17 and now 1.21, I have tossed aside my "peaceful builder" mindset and gone warmonger. Early game is essentially a large military buildup with science set low to gain cash for a massive upgrade of troops. Then I beat the crap out of anyone I can reach, gaining tech parity after I knock each civ down to 1 city. The main goal is a solid forbidden palace area set up early on, which gives you a huge production/commerce boost.

Ideally, the warfare is wrapped up by the early middle ages and then I build like crazy. If I got lucky, I probably rushed either the Sistine or Sun Tzu with a leader, breaking the cascade and allowing me to nail the other wonders at my leisure.

Basically, once I've hit the middle ages, I'm researching on my own. The AI typically jumps out to a large tech lead early on, and I have no intention of making bad trades (sure, I'll give ya masonry and ceremonial burial for warrior code... suuuurrre) and spend all available cash just to maintain parity. I'd rather use my upgrade gambit to attain a potentially dominant position for the balance of the game.

Monarch difficulty/Standard maps/Continents/8 civs, btw.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Nice input, Arrian. It's just a shame to see people to convert to warmongers, though.

Comment

Unfortunately early war is the best strategy no matter what your goal. Even on Monarch for a largely builder game you want more territory than you're going to get peacefully. Better taking it early than late.

Comment

Succinctly put, Dr. Spike.

My early warmongering is a result of my continuing search for "the game of ultimate power." I'm a wonder hog, I want a big tech lead, I want the most territory, I want the most people, I want the best culture.... you get the idea. More than that, though, I started setting little goals like getting Tanks before the AI has infantry... on 1.17. Clealry impossible playing as a builder.

I have discovered that the best way to guarantee I will get the wonders I want and a good tech lead is to create a desolation and call it peace (i.e. claim my continent in the ancient age, hoping like crazy I get a few leaders for wonders/forbidden palace).

Winning while playing a builder style is certainly possible, but I want more than just to win. I want to totally dominate the AI. And I want a high score, which requires that you be big, populous and happy as early as possible. Best way to do it? Kill, maim, destroy, burn, pillage, enslave...

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Unfortunately (or not?) early war really is a must, just for territory, and for a peaceful game later. What changes is how much you kill the enemies.

Comment

I see here that war is a terrible necessity in Civ3.

I used to be a peaceful builder but got tired of all the strokes I suffered everytime the AI beat the living daylights out of me. So I became a major warmonger with a very minor in buildering.

Having suffered terribly for so long I agree with Arrians' assesment that it is a must to dominate the AI. No more peaceful building for me.

Comment

Playing emperor and deity games with default settings (standard/huge maps) there's no real alternative:

you won't be competitive if you're researching yourself. So stick your tax glider to 90 or 100%.

Only near the latest stages of the game you might aim for a (minor) tech lead.

Firaxis has made it this way, can't help that.

Below emperor I suppose a substantial tech lead is possible.

AJ
                            " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
                            - emperor level all time
                            - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

Getting a lead in research gives you an advantage on the battlefield; you have cavalry, whilst they have pikemen? Guess who's gonna win. If you have to trade for the techs, the AI already has the battlefield advantage and you're still playing catchup in that respect anyway.

Invest heavily in research.
                              Up the Irons!
                              Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                              Odysseus and the March of Time
                              I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Working...
                              X