Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many cities?

here's the deal,

32 cities should be the optimal number of cities in your civ, on a huge map that is. But my advisor is always telling me to build more cities, should I....?
    ICH BIN EIN WARMONGER!!!

I build far more on huge maps, usually about 60-100 in the ancient and early medieval age. In this game phase, concerning cities, more is better. Most of them will be hopelessly corrupt, oh well, but they seize land for later resources, deny it from the AI, which otherwise would settle every little piece of ground, and let you look stronger. Meaning the AI will be more respectful.

Also there's simple math: 10 size-1 cities work on 20 tiles and all citizens are happy with only 1 luxury. 1 size-10 city works on 11 tiles and needs massive improvements and luxuries to have 10 happy citizens.

Generally: Don't listen to your Civ3 advisors... they're morons.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Also there's simple math: 10 size-1 cities work on 20 tiles and all citizens are happy with only 1 luxury. 1 size-10 city works on 11 tiles and needs massive improvements and luxuries to have 10 happy citizens.
      Not quite. In order to build 10 size-1 cities you would need ten Settlers. Ten Settlers could build a size-19 city (ignoring the need for an Aquaduct and a Hospital). So you should be comparing 10 size-1 cities with 1 size-19 city. A size-19 city can work 20 tiles and needs massive improvements and luxuries to have 19 happy citizens.

On the other hand you can't build a size-19 city until after the Middle Ages.

In general I agree with you. Spread lots and lots of little towns every where you can. Once you have grown out and filled all avalable land then you can grow up (larger cities).

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
      Generally: Don't listen to your Civ3 advisors... they're morons.
      Actually they are just talking heads. :-)

Mik G

Comment

Perfectly agreed!

The more cities you have, the better it is for your Empire!
        So.... expand!

I once tried a game with the Chinese using ICS-strategy combined with pop-rushing..... Extremely powerfull!!!

Saluti
        "Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else.
        The trick is the doing something else."
        — Leonardo da Vinci
        "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
        "In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio

Comment

Working...
        X