How do you setup your game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you setup your game?

I have been playing with every last setting on random with either a large or huge map using max number of nations on Regent level. I find it creates extremely different games and my maps have been night and day different in every way. Its exciting to see everything blacked out and not finding out to way later what the map mostly consists of. Maybe lots of water and islands, huge continents, tons of mountains or whatever. However I do find it makes the game more difficult doing this because you go into it more blind folded to say.
    -PrinceBimz-

Standard size (large/huge games get too slow later on), Continents, Normal climate, Warm temperature, 5 Billion yr old earth. Max. number of civs, alternate between difficulty levels.
    "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
    "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Standard size. Enjoyed playing on Huge with 16 civs, but sorry, I haven't got a kick-ass processor of 1.4 GHz, so standard.

Roaming Barbarians. All other things I set to Random and then, really, my games are different slightly. Anotehr thing I like is not knowing whether I'm on island or a continent before I explore.

Rules: culturally linked locations off, all others on.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

ok - Solver, I have a 750MHz processor and I play Huge maps no problem - I just turn off "Show our automatic moves" in Preferences, that way it isn't bogged down by showing all the automated workers. I also find that the turn change (when the AI does it's thinking) isn't that long either. I always play on Huge maps with 16 civs.
        Up the Irons!
        Rogue CivIII FAQ!
        Odysseus and the March of Time
        I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

OK, I have a two year old 500 MHz processor, know it's time for a change of it, but haven't done just yet. And by the end of the Middle Ages the speed started to really annoy me, especially the moment after AI has moved, but I didn't still get control... must have been some in-game things processed.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

My 4 year old 350mHz processor definitely has trouble coping with huge maps and 16 civs.

Maybe when I get a new job, and more money, I'll buy myself a state-of-the art way ahead of industrial standard computer. Then I might enjoy huge maps.
            "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
            "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
            "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I struggled 4 months on my old PII/350. The only try I gave Marla's map turned in a disaster with 30-45 minutes per turn in the industrial age. Same with attempts on huge maps. Now I made it my DSL router, set up a new computer and started to enjoy huge maps again.

My favorite settings: Huge, 16 civs, continents, 70%, normal, normal, 4 billion years.

Comment

standard, monarch, 12 civs, everything random (still thinking about switching UN and spaceship off), AI to AI 115, tech rate 280

Comment

standard map, warm, wet (huh huh), 4 billion years, roaming barbs, 5 other civs.... and... warlord level. i'm so ashamed. i tried regent a couple times, but got beaten badly. i used to play SMAC on the second-to-highest difficulty, so i don't know what my problem is. going to regent after i beat my current game. i still gotta get used to the game! i also intend to try a larger map.
                  drones to the left of me, spartans to the right - here i am, stuck in the middle with yang

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                    I struggled 4 months on my old PII/350. The only try I gave Marla's map turned in a disaster with 30-45 minutes per turn in the industrial age. Same with attempts on huge maps.
                    I'm not alone !! It's exactly the same with my poor Celeron 300 MHz. I thought I should change this; I am now sure I must change it.
                    Whatelse, I usually play with all random.
                    Nym
                    "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Yeah, all us poor guys with old comps, have one Hell of a time on anything bigger than standard, esp. when I've got 100+ auto slaves running around after pollution.
                      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

again, if it's the automated workers that are pissing you off, you can turn that feature off in preferences...
                        Up the Irons!
                        Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                        Odysseus and the March of Time
                        I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

More RAM definitely helps.

My preferred settings: standard maps, 8 civs, everything random, all victory conditions, varied difficulty levels.

Occasionally I enjoy some large or huge maps games, but never with more than 8 civs (it bothers me to change them in the foreign advisor).
                          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Large random map; 7 random opponents; culturally linked off; raging barbs; random civ usually; monarch level

PII-300, 224 RAM... i turn off animations as the game progresses but never turn off enemy animations or battles.

I figure, especially during wars, that if i am spending up to 2 hrs taking my turn there is no reason to complain about the AI taking several minutes. There are too many other frustrating things in the game.
                            [c3c] 1.22(f?)
                            For better barbarians, add NoAIPatrol=0 to conquests.ini (see this thread )

Comment

watorrey, you have the patience of a saint.

P-3 500, 256 RAM.

I've turned all animations off except my own units.

I actually keep a book or magazine next to me for the delays.
                              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Working...
                              X