How do i beat deity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i beat deity?

I've managed to beat the AI on Monarch level, but at any higher levels I get trounced every time. I've been using the tactic posted on this site by randomturn, whereby you try to rush your opponents in the early stages of the game, capturing cities and gaining techs from the peace treaties. This was working fine on all of the the lower levels, but i can't get it to work on the highest levels. I simply find that the AI expands so fast, i'm easily outnumbered by the time i have created a 'raiding party' of around 5 units. I've been playing as the Japanese because i like the cheaper barracks and temples, but I'm starting to think I'm choosing the wrong Civ.

Does anyone have any other tactics? Because playing the 'Rush' tactic does get kind of boring, and depends largely on the site of your first city and the location of enemy cities.

Do I need to be choosing a different Civ?

I need help her people because I am running out of ideas fast and i don't want to cheat and edit any rules)!!!!

Tia,
    James.

Good question.
    "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
    -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

You should move on to higher levels once the easier levels are 'easily' overcome. Once emperor doesn't bring in many surprises anymore, you could try deity. My first deity win (three weeks ago, haven't played since ) was my sixth deity game. On a large map it's easier, since you'll have more time to build up military, and since the human brain outwits the AI's in warring ...

But generally, there is not such thing as the one-way-ticket to victory (5 warriors? on highest levels you'll only have a very short period of using them effectively), it's more something as a three-way-ticket to victory (landgrab, war/build up, build up/war, war, build up at infinitum), where the frequency and chronological order of the three ways will differ, but not the game experience .

Never be weak: if you're getting weak, strenghten yourself (military build up) and 'eat'.
      Be smart, be patient, plan your military campaigns carefully.

AJ
      " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
      - emperor level all time
      - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

Play with the Aztecs with only one rival on a 80% water pangaea map. Its cheap, but then add civs/play larger maps/use harder civs.

That's how I did it. Now I'm up to France on the Marla World map (extremely large) with 16 civs.
        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

yep, exactly what Jaguar Warrior said. Use the Aztecs with less than the max amount of AIs. Last week I played my first Monarch game, with the Aztecs with 5 other civs on standard map and won pretty easily by domination. So now I'm trying the Japanese on standard map but with 7 AIs so it's much harder.

Comment

Another cheap first win is with the Persians on a tiny map with 1 other civ.

But don't do those cheap wins forever.
            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

ah yes 2-4 civs pangea on tiny map is easy win for persia if they can get their hands on some iron...

Comment

I don't know if you need to deviate from the map you usually play on, but do agree that the Aztecs or any of the civs that give you a quick, cheap UU (Aztecs, Egypt, Babylon, Zulu, even the Iroquois) give you the best chance to hold your own and prevail in the crucial early turns of an Emperor game. That said, if you find yourself with insufficient troops, the main problem likely isn't the type of unit, but the number of cities you have producing them. If you have a city with cattle, etc, then pump out settlers to build more cities quickly. Don't worry about defense at the outset - the AI could destroy you if it wanted to, and the pragmatic designers coded them not to. Once you have enough cities, then I would focus on producing vet units as soon as possible. Those cities on plains that don't grow past size 2 unaided? Build a barracks and set it on auto-UU. The only other variable is starting location; sandwiched among three aggressive civs, you may have a tough time regardless. But the game often starts the human civ on Emperor on a peninsula with at least one food-rich location. In this scenario, with no one behind you, your nearest neighbor will likely be toast. It doesn't take that long to build a strike force - say, eight or ten units - with more coming from your single-minded production efforts. The early AI plays too balanced a game (building offensive and defensive units, workers, and wonders) to hold its own against an enemy with the advantage of all-offensive units and surprise on his side, and nothing else on his mind.

Comment

Persians forever! I think.

My approach was to start at the lowest level and when I won there, move up to the next level. It probably took me fifty nearly complete games (and countless early restarts) to reach Deity. After five or six butt-kickings there, I thought, heck, I'll start the entire process over.

I kicked butt at Chieftan in about an hour of playing. Moved up to the next level, was WAY ahead (I thought) and wham!!! The entire AI declared war on my. Very humbling!!

But I will survive, I will persevere, I WILL conquer Deity level! I just hope I accomplish it before Civ VII is on the market.

BTW, in my last Deity level game, I plopped down my city on my first move, moved a scout two squares, and what to my surpise appears??? An AI city is plopped down within my view and out pop not one, not two, but THREE frigging workers on the AI's first move. What's with that???
                  Frodo lives!

Comment

First, pick a civ with a good early UU. If you are playing a diplomatic or spaceship game go for the Egyptians. For conquest/domination go with a militaristic civ. Build 4 or 5 cities, then barracks, then units. Do not attack too early, because the AI gets too many free units; you need to wait till the AI has expanded to a poor defensive position. As with Randomturn's strat you need to use the AI's expansion against it, but remember now size 1 cities without culture are razed.

Of course, don't attack too late either, as AI pop = units, and then unuseable cities after capture. If they are in Monarchy this is ideal. You should be able to level the tech race somewhat with some early aggression, as well as obtain the territory you'll need for a good builder game if that is your object.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Think i'll go down a few levels and try out some of these tactics.

I'll let u know how I get on.

Comment

Originally posted by Txurce
                        Don't worry about defense at the outset - the AI could destroy you if it wanted to, and the pragmatic designers coded them not to.
                        Not too sure about this one. Had the AI do a warrior rush on me on emperor with 5 warriors on my third city (real early cuz I had cows). Just something to keep an eye on.

R:PM
                        We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Deity are you kidding?? Heck I am getting schooled like clock work on Regent. Best way to beat Diety...don't play it and go down a few levels
                          -PrinceBimz-

Comment

I have the idea that with the new patch Deity has become even harder. I played CIV3 alot a couple months ago, and then I was able to beat the Deity level twice (with Indians and Greeks) in a space race victory. I used the "broke technology" startegy, not the early razing.

After not having played CIV3 in 2 months, I decided to started a new game with the Belgians , based on the French and using the same strategys.
                            I got my butt kicked like hell.
                            Second game, again with the Belgians (again based on French), I'm doing better, but still not good enough. Looks like I'm going to lose it again.

The problem is with the broker tech, that I manage to keep up reasonably (+- 5 techs behind) but I can't jump over them in the tech race... Something that did went well in those 2 earlier games.

Any thoughts on this???

Comment

Build up your military for a decisive strike against your main competitors. Goals: massive pillaging, destroying some metropolises, capturing border cities and lux/res and techs --> idea is wrecking up AI infrastructure and 'system' in the hope they won't form a real treat concerning tech race anymore.
                              (Before, don't bother researching yourself, buy and build up your empire and city/science/money improvements for an attempt to tech lead)
                              Best timing: asap after tanks, but campaign must be finished before mech. inf. kicks in. If needed, do again with modern armour.

Go for the space race if possible, if competition is running too hot try to destroy their ship (not exactly sure how, destroying capital?)

The Belgians you say?

Damn good choice you fellow citizen.

Antwerpen leeft, Antwerpen lacht, ik voel het ritme van de nacht ...

AJ
                              " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
                              - emperor level all time
                              - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

Working...
                              X