Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading in the open slavemarket

howdy

Im an old civ' and civ2'er that hasnt quite grasped the full consept of slaves and slavetrading. Does the use of slaves intimidate the nations from which these slow but o so welcome workers originate? I was wondering if trading slaves from an enemy to a third party could be used as a way to worsen the relationship between these nations? Or am I completely on the wrong track?? I also cant seem to determine when slaves can be traded...

You can trade workers (yours and foreign) while they're in your capital. Whether that has influence on the mood of a foreign worker's civ leader or not I can't say, because I never sell but only buy workers. Some say yes, some no.

Comment

According to Soren, captured workers will cause that nation to dislike you. I don't know about traded workers, though. It wouldn't make much sense if they did, IMO.
      "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
      -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Trading in the open slavemarket

If memory serves correctly, keeping slaves working made their home country dislike you, while adding them to your cities was viewed more favourably. Giving them back to the home civ naturally got the best response (but somehow I just don't feel like doing it...). I don't recall if you suffer any penalty for selling them to someone else. I imagine that using bought slaves would cause a worse relationship with their home civ, but I don't actually know if it is the case or not. If it is, then it could serve as a nice way to try and provoke a war between two civs (or at least lessen the chance of them allying against you), if you happen to have a lot of slaves from one (or both) working around your empire.

Comment

Re: Trading in the open slavemarket

Originally posted by vulture
          If memory serves correctly, keeping slaves working made their home country dislike you, while adding them to your cities was viewed more favourably. Giving them back to the home civ naturally got the best response (but somehow I just don't feel like doing it...).
          I didn't know that. Currently I am playing with the Babs, and since I have gotten many slaves in my aggressive policies (out of 100, only 30 are Babs). I just love exploiting foreigners... those Zulus are my favorite, they must feel so sad without their crazy Impi uniform. Anyway, they must be quite tired after 1500 years of road building. But they DESERVED it! Ha ha!
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Hehehe
            If I happen to have slaves in the railroad era, I use them to build the really long railroads through tundra, forests, jungle and the like. Or to clear jungle, you know, all the labour-intensive things.
            There should be a loss rate if you send slaves into harsh terrain... or you should be able to set up Gulags that produce a small amount of money per turn.
            "One fool can ask more questions in a minute than twelve wise men can answer in an hour."
            - Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Comment

Personally I always make a point of raizing German cities, using them as slaves for awhile- before sending them to work the colonies or be exterminated in the cities and their hair made into pillow-filling, for the greater good of the Empire.
              Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

Comment

In my last game as the Aztecs, I captured a Japanese city. Peace broke out and the Japanese were annoyed at me for the longest time. I decided to send the captured workers to the capital and I gave them back the the Japanese for a song. The Japanese attitude immediately went to polite.

In my latest game as the Americans. I have the exact same situation with the Germans. Same as before, I gave the slaves back very cheaply. The Germans stayed annoyed, as if nothing had happened.
                "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

To trade workers, you also need to have a city on the same land mass as the other civ. This can be as simple as both civs having far away colonies on the same little island.
                  [c3c] 1.22(f?)
                  For better barbarians, add NoAIPatrol=0 to conquests.ini (see this thread )

Comment

Originally posted by MosesPresley
                    for a song
                    ???

Comment

Originally posted by civman2000

???
                      That's a figure of speech.
                      "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                      —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

man, you were lucky they were annoyed. once i battle it out with some civ, they stay furious till the very end no matter what (actually they might get in a bit better mood if we are later fighting against a common enemy)

Comment

Working...
                        X