Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Herr David
    Urgh, workers.
    Late in the game, I just sell away the foreign slaves because it's so annoying to move twice the amount of workers around when your own units could do it with half the number, and thus half the micromanagement.
    With an industrial Civ, under a late-game democracy even the slaves are quick - and they're free. OK, if you're raking in the gold unit upkeep is not so essential but can still make a difference.

For speed-play I tend to manually develop the mines that I need for production then CTRL-SHIFT-I to let it do the rest, without altering existing. The AI workers prefer irrigating, and this command stops them trying to march through rival territory to get to an outpost.

Comment

Personally, I like micromanagement.
      It is the thrill of completing a 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle or solving a rubix cube. It is writing the perfect story or programming a game on primitive calculator assembly. It is the joy of seeing so many little struggles and challenges come together into a grand vision of perfection.
      Est-ce que tu as vu une baleine avec un queue taché?
      If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.

Comment

Micromanagment prevents the stress from watching the computer mis-manage your workers.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Blech, I hate micromanagement. Its like work.

Comment

I wish I could program my workers. For example... Ok, Workers, this is what you do with a grassland tile, this is what you do with a forest / grassland tile, this is what you do with a jungle tile, this is what you do with a desert tile, etc. And of course, this would only be within city limits. And you program them to work in stacks or spread out one per tile (whichever you prefer). And of course, the order in which these improvements will be built. Road, mine, rail.

And I wish you could set workers to specifically "Wait and Clean Up Pollution Otherwise Pass Your Turn". There could be a worker advisor screen to activate some if you'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by dunk999

And I wish you could set workers to specifically "Wait and Clean Up Pollution Otherwise Pass Your Turn". There could be a worker advisor screen to activate some if you'd like.
              In my last game, I had a huge number of workers (kept captured ones) and left almost everyone on "automate, don't change existing improvements." After a while, my empire was totally terraformed. Whenever one of my cities polluted a square, they'd wake up, clean it up, and then go to a nearby city and bunker down again. Pretty cool, but took a few seconds to "think" about it, even on turns with no pollution.

Comment

dunk,
                And I want an option, when you assign workers to Improve City, to tell them you want 'X' number of food surplus, so they will mine the remainder.

JB

Comment

I wish I could program my workers. For example... Ok, Workers, this is what you do with a grassland tile, this is what you do with a forest / grassland tile, this is what you do with a jungle tile, this is what you do with a desert tile, etc. And of course, this would only be within city limits. And you program them to work in stacks or spread out one per tile (whichever you prefer). And of course, the order in which these improvements will be built. Road, mine, rail.

Right on... some sort of macro/waypoint/task queue would be the way to go.
                  ------------------------------------
                  Cheers
                  Exeter.
                  -------------------------------------

Comment

Currently I am playing with 12 Civs on a large map ('course we're down to only 9 Civs now) and just past the industrial age... I have timed each turn as taking a minimum of 30 minutes - this includes the AI movements then my response (or vice-versa). Can we say days???

Personally, I like micromanagement. It is the thrill of completing a 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle or solving a rubix cube. It is writing the perfect story or programming a game on primitive calculator assembly. It is the joy of seeing so many little struggles and challenges come together into a grand vision of perfection.
                    Right on Trevman! There's nothing like starting a game (or beginning a program) on Friday night and looking up after countless pots of coffee to see the sun coming up on Sunday morning. Feeling that fine psychosis of sleep depravation setting in. Maybe I should just Nuke 'em all and for god sake get some rest! But then the voices start again... "but if we do this, then that and fortify here..."
                    Currently I am playing with 12 Civs on a large map ('course we're down to only 9 Civs now) and just past the industrial age... I have timed each turn as taking a minimum of 30 minutes - this includes the AI movements then my response (or vice-versa). Can we say days???

Personally, I like micromanagement. It is the thrill of completing a 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle or solving a rubix cube. It is writing the perfect story or programming a game on primitive calculator assembly. It is the joy of seeing so many little struggles and challenges come together into a grand vision of perfection.
                    Right on Trevman! There's nothing like starting a game (or beginning a program) on Friday night and looking up after countless pots of coffee to see the sun coming up on Sunday morning. Feeling that fine psychosis of sleep depravation setting in. Maybe I should just Nuke 'em all and for god sake get some rest! But then the voices start again... "but if we do this, then that and fortify here..."
                    You have not converted a man merely because you have silenced him.

Comment

Sorry 'bout that... but the whole script thing freaked out on me after I previewed and it appears I double pasted my edit! Honest... I've been sleeping lately!
                      You have not converted a man merely because you have silenced him.

Comment

Four hours?!?! Two weeks?!?!

Wow, I finished one game of Civ3 to date, and it took me 7 weeks. Yep, seven weeks of playing an average of about 10 hours per week. This was a medium sized world, on whatever the second level difficulty up is. It was my first game.

And that was December.
                        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I liked CTP's "public works". That was a kind of micromanagement, but at least you could do it quickly.

Comment

You can do this with Ctrl-Shift-P (or maybe Ctrl-P, I can't remember exactly).

Comment

Working...
                            X