Loans and Threats: Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loans and Threats: Why?

I'm wondering if anyone has ever gotten a loan of gold or successfully extorted a rival they were at peace with.

It seems to me they couldn't get these features to work, but put them in anyway.

I've never gotten a loan.

Does this feature actually functions any time at all?

AJ
    " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
    - emperor level all time
    - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

I've never tried for a loan. I have never used "give me this or else" except to anger an AI enough so they would attack me: gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme, remove your troops or declare war!

Extortion, however, as in renegotiating a peace treaty, works rather well.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I've gotten a threat to work before, got 2 techs out of the Indians after I had just gotten done crushing the Russians and the Romans (I was the Persians). The Indians were next on the chopping block, so I figured I'd give it a shot and got what I wanted. Didn't deter me from going after them 10 turns later, though

Comment

i'm a warmonger and a master of extortion.

when you're killing an AI, and they come begging for peace, make them pay 20 gold per turn (lump it in with the peace treaty offer).

then, in 20 turns or so, they'll come to you and ask to renew the peace treaty, and you can put in a new number (usually a lower one if they got stronger etc), and if you dont like the deal, you can go to war without a blackmark, and your not the agressor (for you people who like democracy).

and as for a loan, the button never works for me, but i did get 100 gold for 10 gold per turn.
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I've managed to get the other Civs to offer me a loan a few times, but I've never accepted it. It worked in SMAC, because you could use the money to rush SPs, but it doesn't work in Civ3, largely because in the early game no-one needs money and no-one has any, and later on you should have enough money anyway.

Comment

Yes, it's fun to create "Versailles" style peace treaties, but I want to skip the fighting phase of the bullying. It never seems to work, even when I'm obviously poised to do some damage. I'd rather "shake the mailed glove" and get some quick cash then deal with a bunch of 100% corrupt cities that are conquered, at least later in the game.

I'll have to try extorting right after "making an example" of another rival, as suggested.

Comment

well you have to put the AI's in their place.

in the game i'm playing right now, i was at war with 4 civs at once. the whole continent was at war with eachother, but since i'm the largest i get the most flak.

anyway, i was china so my riders started smashing babylon up. i took 7 cities with a total of 2 wonders (great lighthouse and copernicus') and i was planning the kill. they had just gotten saltpeter from somewhere, so they were actually putting up a defence, so i was open for a truce, until i can get calvary. so they come up to me (as they do every other turn) and beg for peace.

so i took silk, 27 gold per turn, 2 techs, and 3 cities in the peace deal.

but the cities start out empty... and the other AIs bumrushed them .

but anyway, each turn of peace yields me gold and free silk. good deal.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

but the cities start out empty... and the other AIs bumrushed them .
                  Aren't cities you get through culture flip/diplomacy meant to come w/ a free defender?

Comment

I have used the extortion feature successfully, but never had any success with loans.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralTacticus

Aren't cities you get through culture flip/diplomacy meant to come w/ a free defender?

cities that culture flip come with defenders, cities that are given through diplomacy are not. Probably to avoid the loophole in future mp where two players could trade cities back and forth to raise a quick defensive army.

Comment

never got a loan, only tried a few times. but now w/ 1.17 the ai seems so broke, that it would hardly be worth it. too bad, I remeber the AI asking for loans all the time in SMAX

Comment

Yes to both

I've had loans and tribute in nearly every game.

Comment

To loan do the following:
                            We want:
                            90 gold
                            We give:
                            5 gold (per turn)

It worked the other way around as well (it was prepatch.)

But I gues that is not what you ment.
                            It is really stupid the AI can come over to you with demands and can immediately declare war if you choose not to comply, while you can't.

Comment

Originally posted by Beren

It is really stupid the AI can come over to you with demands and can immediately declare war if you choose not to comply, while you can't.
                              ?

You can declare war anytime. You can even declare war honorably as long as the original term of the peace treaty (20 turns) has expired.

Comment

Working...
                              X