culture victory...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• culture victory...

OK, how is this achieved? What are the best tactics for winning this way. At the moment I only ever play on warlord and all the other civs are always in awe of my culture but i never have yet had a culture victory, help me!!!

You'll have to read the manual to make sure my numbers are accurate, but as I recall, for a culture win your entire civ needs to generate 100,000 culture points, or, you can have a single city with over 20,000 culture points.

And no other civ can have over half your culture points (don't know quite how that applies to the city condition).

Hope this helps.

I myself have never had the patience to win by culture, I usually either launch the spaceship, or 'accidentally' dominate the globe.
    Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?

Comment

I won only once by culture, it was an OCC game as the Greeks, as far as I remember on Regent, or Monarch. I won with the city option (20,000 points). This and the UN victory are the lamest victory conditions and I usually turn them off.

The strategy for a city win is, build all improvements that generate culture in that city, build them early (that matters!) and try to build as much culture generating wonders as you can. The Great Library, for example, is a very powerful culture generator, even after Education.

Far from building those improvements, all you can do is wait. For long. Till 20,000. An OCC game is fine for this. In my game, I did not build any military far from 3 hoplites. Pretty much free capacity to build improvements and wonders.

Comment

I also got a culture OCC win on Monarch as the Babs - you need to build all the wonders and culture improvements you can in one city. The earlier the better as the culture doubles after the improvement gets to a certain age. All the waiting round is pretty boring although I guess you could build some explorers later on with you spare production and go spy on any of the worlds interesting wars

Comment

i actually succeeded in a cultural victory on warlord last night myself (standard map, 6 civs)... the bad news is i wanted to win with the space race, but as i was finnishing up the last tech advance when i got the "Congratulations You've Won!"...

oh well, better luck next time...

it seems i usually win with a cultural victory these days. i'm just not a warmongerer, so i build my cities up much faster than my armies which of course results in a high culture.

as dac said... the rules are 100,000 points for the civ or 20,000 points for a single city... the key is most definitely to build a lot of wonders if possible... but in this last game i only managed to build the great library, colossus and lighthouse. i missed bach's cathedral and the sistine chapel which are huge for culture.

just build libraries, temples, universities, cathedrals, research labs, ad infinitum.... rinse and repeat. a little monotonous, but it gives your cities something to do other than "wealth" while you are waging your wars.

the only other key is the fact that the older things are, the more culture it produces, so if you have a nice core of cities with wonders and temples, you should be in good shape for a cultural win.

if by some chance you reach 100, 000 cp and still haven't won, figure out who is number two on the totem pole and go after his cities so that you can eliminate his culture production. this should be enough to help you take the victory.

hope it helps...
          the shows in my mind are almost always better... The Maxx

Comment

I've heard people say that an improvement's culture doubles in 1000 years. Is this true, or just an approximation? Because if it's true and not linked to turns but linked to years, that definitely would have drastic consequences of when you build (ie. A temple built in 4000BC will double culture in 20 turns, while one built in 1060AD will never double before the game ends.
            "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
            -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Yesteday I was playing as the Aztecs on Regent and I won culturally (was also going for the spaceship actually). I had 100,000 culture.

In the beggining I used the warmongering strategy and cleared out my continent, then I cleared out about 40% of the other continent and when I got to Communism I just built all the cultural buildings. Also I had about 10-12 wonders some of them were the first wonders so they give a lot of culture because they're old.

Comment

An improvement or wonder's culture output doubles after its existed for 1000 years.

This is huge! This is why you rush build temple/library/cathedral and your core industrial cities should be working on the high culture wonders.

My quickest culture win came from building the GL, JSBach, Shakes Theatre, and Cistine all in the same city, along with temple, library, and cathedral all rush built. Granted, this was ridiculously hard, but my gambit paid off.

Under normal circumstances, the GL library is key, The Pyramids, Oracle and Hanging Garden are nice too. Then JSB, ST, Newton and Sistine are keys. Keep in mind, anything you finish after 900AD wont have as great as an effect. Also, if you cant build them in your capitol, still try and get them anyway, if only to keep the computer from getting all that culture.

Find out who your cultural opponents are. If they've built key wonders, take that city and hope they cant get it back, give it to a culturally poor ally or just raze it. Do this in the late middle ages or industrial age, and that opponents culture drops significantly. Look at your own culture break down, you'll see that just a few core cities contribute enormously.
                On normal+ sized maps, I find this to be the easiest victory (besides the b.s. UN victory).

India is a good choice because they get half priced temp/cath and start with alphabet, only 2 from writing. Egypt is good also due to the industrial factor.

Lastly, if by 1000AD your culture lead over the computer isnt significant, except for maybe 1 other civ, then you may want to rethink your strategy. If 1 other civ is close, deal with them, and bask in your cultural glory.

Comment

being a non-warmonger i love the cultural victory. Even in civ 2 i always was a builder not a fighter. many find it tedious just building and building, but i love it, i feel that i can actually see my civilisation grow and develop rather than just sending out the storm troopers and dominating the world..

the posters above are spot on, to get culture victory, the ealrier you build wonders and improvements the better. i usually get a slight defence up then go all out culture, with upgrades to city defence as i go. then if needs be late in game just conquer any enemy wonder citys.
                  GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Working...
                  X