No announcement yet.

Top Civ choices for MP.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thrawn05 Yes, if you consider internet connections and the free time everyone has to play (that is, assuming the game dies if the server quits, like most other games). There might have to be a special save feature to restore games with other people that have not finished in MP.
    Even getting 12 people together in the first place would be a nightmare. More work than it's worth IMO. You'd need subs etc. and it would all have to be very well organised. Diplogames like that might work. In civ2 the game didn't always die when the server quit - the host would sometimes transfer, but 90% of the time it didn't and the game hung. Not sure what you mean by special save feature - surely it would work ok as it is right now, and I'd be shocked if they set it so you couldn't save MP games.

Comment

If they include a pbem option, I could see a twelve civ game on a gigantic map. I play CTP pbem games and most move at a good pace of a turn every day or so. I find more diplomacy in those games than in online MP games, maybe because of the time investment players seek to make peace with at least one nearby player as insurance against early elimination. Also, playing on larger maps allows a richer game playing experience; time to build adequate forces before your neighbor desends upon you with a couple dozen archers, area to settle your core withour butting up against someone else.
      "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

how are you people overlooking germany? sci/mil is the best combo (IMO).

sure, you'll never see their panzers in a zone game, but i love the combo!
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

One thing that occurs to me is the fact that it seems just about everyone gies the 0 science route in the ancient era. But, if there are no AI in MP, then this strategy may not work, and you'll end up with a bunch of rich dumb civs. I think this factor may play out well, because someone will decide to go for science, and sell to everyone. Exciting
          "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
          -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Originally posted by punkbass2000
            One thing that occurs to me is the fact that it seems just about everyone gies the 0 science route in the ancient era. But, if there are no AI in MP, then this strategy may not work, and you'll end up with a bunch of rich dumb civs. I think this factor may play out well, because someone will decide to go for science, and sell to everyone. Exciting
            #1 I do not go the 0 science route, but thats just me.
            #2 I wouldn't sell to those stupid civs and I'd roll over their warriors
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

OK, not everyone, but I doubt it will be uncommon to find games with four players or less who all use that strategy. (I use it)
              "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
              -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

I Claudius...

can't get no respect.

That's OK. We'll just hide here in the weeds. Us with our cheap barracks, lower corruption, and band of killers.

No seriously, never mind us. We're just collecting your silver for the War Orphan's charity drive. Well be gone soon. Say in a couple thousand years or so. Hey, nice temple. How many of those does it take to garrison your capital?
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

No, Claudius. I respect you. When roman legions first set foot in a conquered city, you never get it back. An archer counterattack just doesn't work. By the time you get three swordsmen that you need to beat down a legion, the romans have built three more legions in the same time frame. Legions cost 50% more than the hoplite, and the same amount pop-rushing,but they have three times the attack. They can beat all non special units of the age on attack and defense.

On the other hand, the roman traits are crap.
                  "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Working...
                  X