conquerization 2.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, the waterbombers.
    "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
    -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
      Ohhhh. Nooowww you've all done it. That's it! The bombers are enroute to Alex Baldwin's estate as I type this.

But seriously, sorry if I came off harsh dikwhit. Just that I may be overly defensive of the people who continue to serve with honour and commitment while being p*ssed on by our own politicians. The state of our military is an issue to some of us. A bit of a sore spot as I may have demonstrated.
      Notyoueither, having served in the Canadian Military, even if it was for a short while (5 years), I too am rabidly protective of our Armed Forces. If anyone in this country should be complaining about being taken for granted, they should be. And yes we need to change the governing party and dump most of the senior civil servants as well: Ottawa has had status quo for too long.

And if the body would allow me to serve, I'd have volunteered for Bosnia and Afghanistan. (too old and too many sports injuries)

As for the scoring in this game, all I can say is that it's a good thing that you don't loose points for each combat casualty. Seems to be the harder I try to get 10 to 1 superior numbers on an AI Civs, the more casualties I take. Considering that one of the highest scores I have ever had was playing on Monarch and using the Egyptians for a cultural Victory. That was at about 3000 points when the closest AI was about 1500. I was taking cities by culture and pumping most of the populations into workers who were transfered back to core cities and Egyptian workers sent in to the new cities. Couldn't wait for the cities to grow on their own...and the AI was kind enough to keep up some wars to weaken alot of the cities I captured.

That win was before all the patches and I managed to get every culture related Wonder and most of the military related ones too. Have never come close to that again. Nor have I had as good a starting site: 2 wheat on a river in plains and a couple of plains with resources.

I'm going to see what fun I can have with the editor because if war is the only way to win, then the units should be a little more terrifying to both sides... nothing like fear of conflict to make an AI more cooperative.
      "Not the cry, but the flight of the wild duck,
      leads the flock to fly and follow"

- Chinese Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
        dikwhit I couldn't agree with you more

Especially with arguements 1,2,3, and 8. Civ3 has degenerated into a game where through skillfull play you may be able to delay or stall war but you can't avoid it altogether.

Play nice with everyone, bow to their every demands no matter how ludicrous, keep up a strong military, and you still end up getting betrayed by a gracious ally. WTF? Even if you don't end up getting attacked by someone you end up going to war over and over again just to increase your score (i.e. increase your territory = increasing your score) or to secure 1 saltpeter from your neighbors inventory of 3 saltpeters.
        WTF - that sums up Civ 3.

You bet I have had Gracious civs I've had previously Polite relations with for a thousand years suddenly attack me. Why? That dumb bean-counting AI and its goofy coding.

The resource thing is also a joke. If you play with Firaxis' stupid values you HAVE to go to war regularly to obtain resources - even though such as coal and iron were NEVER that rare in reality. At least that I can Edit up a bit.

Comment

I agree that the scoring system needs to award points for things other than just territory, future tech, and population. I would suggest adding (at default Regent level):

1.) 1 point for every 100 culture points your civilization has generated.

2.) 20 points for every city that has amassed more than a certain number of culture points (say, 5,000 points), and 5 points for every city that has amassed more than a certain lesser number of culture points (say, 1,000 points).

3.) 50 points for each Great Wonder you have BUILT (captured Wonders do not give this score bonus).

4.) 20 points for each Small Wonder you own.

5.) 1 point for every turn after 1 AD in which you are not at war with any other civ (this number never decreases, only increasing), providing you are in contact with at least one other civ (which means that if you know no other civs, you cannot get points for this). You get 2 points per turn any time it has been more than 20 turns since your most recent war ended.

Granting points for culture, peace, and Wonders would definitely make peaceful building more appealing, I believe.
          Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle

The resource thing is also a joke. If you play with Firaxis' stupid values you HAVE to go to war regularly to obtain resources - even though such as coal and iron were NEVER that rare in reality. At least that I can Edit up a bit.
            Have you noticed any differences since you edited? Even in patch 1.21f I find that war is still a necessity. Getting a big population and a large territory under your belt and then milking the game is the only approach that seems to work for me.
            signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Working...
            X