X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quest for victory with all civs

18.75% done
    Attached Files
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

You really ought to be more careful not to misspell Deity, if you're going to post edited scoreboards on these forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
      You really ought to be more careful not to misspell Deity, if you're going to post edited scoreboards on these forums.
      Or it's yet just another pointless flaw in the game.
      I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
        That's how it is spelled. Or at least in the version I have. I know it was spelled wrong. I haven't patched my game yet, maybe it is different in the patch.
        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

Do I sense some jealousy here?

Anyway, I'm working on Japan. Does anyone have any tips for fighting Riders with Samurai? Thats what this game is probably going to run into.

Comment

Then you should download and update the game.
            I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Yea, I want to, my PC just hasn't been able to download it from the site I tried. Could you recommend another?

I think this Japan game will be frustrating, but winnable.

Those other three games were much easier. In the highest Aztecs victory, I just sent my Jaguar warriors into the middle of all three AI civs. I pillaged everything, signed peace treaties for all the AIs money, switched to monarchy, sneak attacked, captured an Iron city, and upgraded to swordsmen. Game over. I use that strategy often, this time I was luckier than usual though.

The Zulu victory was cool, because there were maybe 3 lead changes.

The Babylonians game mostly involved chasing around settlers across jungles. I had all but one civ with one settler gone by 900 BC. I finished in early AD. That game coud have been my top score.

Comment

Get a downloading program if you have problems.

Comment

Samurai vs Riders.

Get a stack of Samurai on the Chinese Iron as soon as possible, sign a ROP and wait until it expires if you have to. If you can get any Samurai on the Iron before the Chinese get Chivalry it's basically over. Fortified on a hill or mountain, Samurai are very difficult to move even for Cavalry, and the AI often won't even try if you have a stack of 4 or 5 of them. If the Iron will take some time to get to, you can always hit their Horses. But Iron should be your primary target.

As far as fighting goes, use the Samurai somewhat like suped up Impi that can counterattack. Because of fortification (50%) and terrain modifications (10-100%) they are better on defense than offense against Knights. Bait the AI to attack you on good defensive terrain near their borders. Of course if the AI is sending Longbowmen hit them first. Once you have their Iron and have absorbed their offensive your Samurai should have an easy time taking cities.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05
                    Get a downloading program if you have problems.
                    How? By downloading one?

Here is the Japan save for all who are interested. I am building a road network so I can start on swordsmen for my next few wars. I intend on eliminating India before they get to the middle ages. Knights in the middle of my territory is just to dangerous. The French will probably be reduced to Tours and then kept as a mini-vassal. The good news is that China doesn't have iron on the huge starting area they managed to claim. The trouble is that they will probably go colonize somewhere else and I'll have to chase them around forever. Oh well, no hugely high score. But I'm just going for a win anyway.

BTW, thank you Aeson, that's about what I thought. I suppose that I have to keep them on defense as well. Facing riders isn't fun. They can pillage, move, and pillage again in the same turn.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
                      How? By downloading one?
                      That's for those 30 day trials. You can get a good one for $20 at EB i think.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
                        Do I sense some jealousy here?
                        Lol, some people still seem to think deity is an unbeatable level.

By the way, are you winning with each civ using early conquest-type victories? That's good for civs with early UU, but I suggest trying 'appropriate' wins for each civ, makes the game more interesting (for example I tried an OCC cultural game with the babs, only game I've played with them but I tried it on monarch).

Comment

I seem to be the only person who thinks the Bowman is a powerful offensive unit. I always have thought of the Babs as being like the Egyptians. Great builder traits, but with a powerful UU for conquering. I haven't technically beat the game with them, though, because I always get annoyed with the greeks. Last city, finally my 15th swordsman takes it, and then I realize they just built one more city. That means they get three free hoplites again, along with two new settlers. It can really drive you nuts.

Comment

I was inspired to play the Japs today by your game... unfortunately I went to the demos screen in 3950bc and the game crashed. So I decided to pick China, and now I'm all turned round on the subject of medieval UU. The GA is usually a lot more effective in medieval times, and the UU comes at just the right time to finish off the second civ. Never tried conquest with the Babs, I've archer rushed several times and though I could see me saving a few archers with 2 defence I'd prefer it if they were a 3.1.1 unit.

Comment

The chinese can be a real ***** to play against if they get chivalry first. They are my best friends until the middle ages . Japan and/or India have to get their iron before they get chivalry. I never face riders. I am in the closing stages of the Japan game. Just a bunch of stupid island cities to mop up. I've discovered a good trick is to offer a big mainland city for all their island cities and peace. You condense the AI into one poorly defended city right near your troops. I did that to china, because I didn't feel like sending triremes to all of their outposts. I still have to deal with france, because they escaped the main continent and now have a few small islands.

Comment

Working...
                              X