Razing cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razing cities

I was playing Civ3 with version 1.17 @ my friend's house and I noticed that most of the cities I conquered were automatically razed. In my game (with the original version of Civ3) when I conquer a city a little message pops up and asks me if I want to raze it or keep it. Are the cities supposed to be razed like that in 1.17? btw this was on regent, don't know if that matters or not.

Size one cities are automaticly razed unless there is surplus food. Since the AI maxs out production, there is little chance unless the AI is trying to build a settler. Then the AI sets up for pop growth, thus has extra food. This was a change implemented in the first patch.
    "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

I don't think the limitation on auto-destruction is food. I believe it is culture.

If you capture a 1 pop city it is destoryed, UNLESS it has a cultural value greater than 0.

In other words, I have a size 2 city building a temple. I'm 10 shields away from completing it. I'm a despot. My neibour declares war. I want to switch all my cities to produce units, but I really want to finish the temple in this city. I pop rush it (cost 1 pop for the last 10 shields). The city is now 1 pop. 4 turns later, the city has not yet regrown to 2 pop. My enemy's Horsemen burst though and capture the city. The city remains even though it is only 1 pop, because it has produced a few culture points and is now important enough in the scheme of things to escape the auto destruction of 1 pop burgs.

I think that's how it works.

Salve
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

As NYE said, it is based on the culture of the city.

This was introduced to prevent the player from following around the AI settler/defender pairs and attacking as soon as the city was built (when it was at its weakest).

If the city is BOTH size 1 AND has no culture, it will be razed automatically, otherwise you can choose to keep or raze.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Working...
          X