No announcement yet.

Getting the most out of your Elites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AI targeting Elites... YES (and too successfully for my taste)

I have recently been playing as a warmongering evil SOB (see also: the Dark Lord style) and this has (obviously) put me in MUCH combat. Recently, I have noticed that if I have, say, two stacks of, say, archers, with one stack containing 3 elite 3 veteran and the other stack containing all veteren, and with the elite stack on a mountain and the veterans on plains, the AI attacks the Elite stack EVERY TIME. Not only that, they win FAR MORE than they lose that way (attacking with regular archers, I think that the odds work out to being just slightly in my favour there). Here's the math (I might have some math from previous versions of civ mixed up here, if someone could correct me then I would be much obliged)...
    Regular AI dude (3 hp), 2/1
    My Elite Dude, (5hp)2/1, Mountains (+3/*3???), defender bonus (+10/20%??), fortified (*2). Seems any way you crunch these numbers, you end up with my guy winning hands down most of the time.
    Not the way it works though (in my recent experience). I have always played the 'good guy' builder type civ, and have only recently realized the joys of the dark side...
    My answer: ALWAYS have a good defensive unit (at VETERAN so it's expendable and will fight first) in the same stack as your precious elites.
    Anyways, that's just my $0.02. Don't spend it all in one place.

Comment

I always bring a vet spearman or two along with my major attack stacks. Those guys eat up the counterattacks (and often win, since the AI uses regulars most of the time), leaving my attack troops unmolested until they get around to doing what they do best. Attacking.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

The elites will defend first, if all else is equal as they will be the best defender. The attacker does not get to choose to attack your elite. If you had a better defensive unit in the stack it would defend first.

Comment

I like to see the game picture, could you paste some on site? Sorry I couldn't read too many english.

Comment

Working...
          X