AI Value on Strategic Resources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI Value on Strategic Resources?

I've been playing a game on Monarch as the Germans. Stuck on my own continent, so I got a bit behind in the tech race, so I saved up a bunch of money and just bought techs like mad when I bumped into people.

Anyway, my stupid little continent doesn't have any iron, however, there are several civs around me with excess Iron. However, I cannot get them to sell me access to Iron with anything (and everything) I can come up with. Is there any kind of guideline as to what kind of things the AI considers it worth their while to trade strategic resources for? Do I have to have several luxuries, or a strategic resource they don't have? Although this continent provides a lot of food, it doesn't provide much in the way of strategic resources.

Just curious to see if I can work a little harder to come up with more money if that will do it, or if I have to have strategic resources of my own to get access to others.

I do have a nice fur monopoly. Doesn't seem to be helping much.
    Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?

Yes, from my experience, there is no chance to use luxury resource to exchange strategic resource.
    Not only AI, but also I do think strategic resource is more important than luxury resource, do you?

Comment

They sell when they like and trust you. Inmy games it's mostly a question of how much to pay.

Comment

My experience is that they value Iron extremely high. I can regularly sell Iron to AI civs for 80 g/turn.

Comment

The more the AI respects you (as in your military is larger than theirs) the better trade deals you get. Higher culture also helps to get you better deals too.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I wonder why you get a civ that is in modern age, and able to build mech infantry and the like, but demands saltpeter from you (they have all the other resources, so no need to build frigates). I guess the AI is kinda like a resource hogger. (BTW, the one that from me was India).
            I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05
              I wonder why you get a civ that is in modern age, and able to build mech infantry and the like, but demands saltpeter from you (they have all the other resources, so no need to build frigates). I guess the AI is kinda like a resource hogger. (BTW, the one that from me was India).
              Isn't saltpeter req'd for coastal forts too?? Maybe that's what they want.
              "There's screws loose, bearings
              loose --- aye, the whole dom thing is
              loose, but that's no' the worst o' it."
              -- "Mr. Glencannon" - Guy Gilpatrick

Comment

Working...
              X