Here's a new one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a new one!

I've been in the habit of occasionally giving other civs the odd gift of gold here and there. Seems only fair seeing as how I usually have plenty of it, and they're always broke. And sometimes it really helps to avert a war with someone I'm not quite ready to tackle yet.

Anyway, I ran into the Zulus and did my usual offer early in the game of giving him a gift of 25 gold, and he refused ! I couldn't believe it, I've never had that happen before! I even upped the offer to 100, but still no. He could really have used the money too. He wasn't doing at all well, being sandwiched between three large civs, myself included, but he was not going to accept any free money. Go figure.

Hmm ... maybe you offered 25 gold per turn for free, and your cash-flow didn't allow it? (I find myself hitting the wrong gold button more than one time.)
    "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

No, there was no mistake there. And even if there was, I could easily have paid 25 per turn. And he was Polite towards me, plus we had never had a single war, so hostility towards me wasn't a factor. So I can't quite figure out why he would refuse. Very strange indeed.

Comment

Reminds me of Civ2's lame "gift of military unit" option. I never had an opponent accept such a gift. Why not?

Also makes me think of that cliche line "We don't take charity" from just about any movie-of-the-week.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotten999
          Reminds me of Civ2's lame "gift of military unit" option. I never had an opponent accept such a gift. Why not?

Also makes me think of that cliche line "We don't take charity" from just about any movie-of-the-week.
          No???

In Civ II other civs would always accept free military units so long as they were advanced enough technologically.

You played Civ II a lot??

BTW, I wish in Civ III an ally would be able to accept military help or at least tell us when they are losing a war. The only way I know about it sometimes is when they are wiped out!

Comment

One of the real great things about CivII and especially SMAC/X was the fact that you could give units to allies.

I used to make export versions of units in SMAC/X and give them to weak AI factions that were friendly towards me.

I miss not being able to share units with other countries in CivIII.
            signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

me votes to bring back smax unit workshop... well to civ 3 n e way
              Man causes all problems. No man, no problems. - Stalin

Comment

I vote too.
                Traigo sueños, tristezas, alegrías, mansedumbres, democracias quebradas como cántaros,
                religiones mohosas hasta el alma...

Comment

Working...
                X