Nuclear Plant Meltdowns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuclear Plant Meltdowns

Does anyone know the likelhood of a Nuclear plant having a meltdown? Or any factors that would increase the chances? I've never had one happen before, but I have only built afew per game in statigic locations. I would make my entire nation Nuclear if it was safe enough.

A nuc. plant will have a chance (probably 50%) of meltdown if the city it's in is in civil disorder. Therefore, beware war weariness if you build a bunch of nuc. plants.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

and when it does meltdown then what happens? is it the same as a nuclear explosion? ive never seen a tactical nuke or an ICBM either nor have i seen a meltdown in Civ2.

Comment

It's the same as being hit by a nuke. There is a graphic of the detonation, and roughly 1/2 of the city's population is killed. The squares immediately surrounding the city are stipped of improvements, turned into desert and polluted. Units in the city are all beat up, but I don't think they die.

The irony is that the city's structures survive. I had a nuc. meltdown once, and the plant itself wasn't destroyed, and continued to operate as normal. Heh.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Arrian,
          Was that in Civ3?
          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Um, yeah, it was. It taught me about the joys of war weariness, or "how we learned that if we don't watch carefully, our capitol may go BOOM." I haven't touched Civ II since Civ III came out.

-Arrian

Comment

Sinister MP startegy (when it comes out).

Give other human 3 luxuries for cheap price.

Wait more then 20 turn.

Wait until he makes some nuclear plants.

Then make an embargo, and watch his cities turn to dust by meltdown.

Unbalancing.
              Suggestion: make that chace a 20%, a same as for riot (destroyed buildings by unhappiness)

Comment

well of course the buildings should survive.

although they might need to be decontaminated.

I'm not sure Firaxis understands what a nuclear reactor meltdown really is.

But it's just a game right?

Comment

Originally posted by player1
                  Sinister MP startegy (when it comes out).

Give other human 3 luxuries for cheap price.

Wait more then 20 turn.

Wait until he makes some nuclear plants.

Then make an embargo, and watch his cities turn to dust by meltdown.

Unbalancing.
                  Suggestion: make that chace a 20%, a same as for riot (destroyed buildings by unhappiness)
                  Would that really be a viable thing? I mean, first you've got to have access to a bunch of luxuries he doesn't have. Second, you've gotta be able to convince (pay) the AI to sign the embargo. Third, how many MP games will last as long as "Nuclear Power?" Fourth, don't you think that MP playbalancing should take place once MP is available? The best way to deal with that is to provide that "robust" editor that the game is supposed to have, so that when MP comes out, the hardcore MP'ers can modify the game to deal with potential MP-only tactics that are unbalancing.

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                  X