Changing map options is unfair to the AI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing map options is unfair to the AI

Heh just a random thought I had... you know those map options, like water coverage / age etc etc. WELL, by changing those from the defaults, does a human player give themselves an unfair advantage? For example if the human player chooses an Archipelago map, they know that MapMaking will be more important to acquire early than normal - but the AI won't! (presumably)

I'm guessing the AI is tuned for a default/default/default/etc map, and doesn't get told nor can adapt to a different map. So should people who, like me, play on Regent for a level playing field, also always leave the map settings at default?

The alternative is that the AI gets 'told' the map options and adjusts internal parameters accordingly... but I suspect such a feature wouldn't have made the time constraints.

I notice I have an easier time of it if I increase the land mass or eliminate a civ or two before starting.

I haven't played on archipeligo, but some people say that the AI can't hack it at all.
    Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

The other alternative is that you pick Random/Random for your map settings as well - then, supposedly, no one in the game is sure what is happening

Comment

I Play Random on as mush as possible.
        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Another vote for playing random.
          "There's screws loose, bearings
          loose --- aye, the whole dom thing is
          loose, but that's no' the worst o' it."
          -- "Mr. Glencannon" - Guy Gilpatrick

Comment

If you go with random civs, then random map is the way to go.

If you purposely chose your civ, then choose a map to fit your playing style, its not cheating, but it is throwing the odds in your favor.

Likewise if you choose your civ and your srategy, and choose a map which hinders you, and enemy civs which wil thrive on that map type, you can really challenge yourself.

Comment

Working...
            X