Gah!! I'm Being Subdued!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gah!! I'm Being Subdued!!!

I hate when this happens! The AI is getting a ridiculous military advantage!!

Every battle I'm in, I lose. I just fought an attacking Chinese Regular Swordsmen with my defending Elite Swordsmen who was on a MOUNTAIN mind you, and the Chinese won!

On the other side of the map, I've got the Germans who are launching a full-scale invasion that I have virtually no way of halting, and I had three Swordsmen to blunt their attack (All Veteran) and their puny Regular Swordsmen rolled right over them, and wiped out the Spearmen defending a Size 11 city!!

What the hell is this?!

I've also played other games were the AI would win every single naval battle I fought with them even if it was my Frigate attacking theirs, or my Ironclad vs. their Frigate!

Does the AI or more specifically the Militant AI get a special bonus in combat????
    Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Could you post a save of this? It would be interesting to see.

Comment

I have noticed the AI seems to get 'lucky' far too often, but a Swordsman beating another swordsman is not impossibile in the conditions you describe, remember they have THREE attack and TWO defense... you were just unlucky i think...
      Up The Millers

Comment

Rothy, normally I would agree with you. But time and time again my Swordsmen have been defeated when attacking enemy swordsmen even on level ground. It's just annoying.

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

OH YES I LOVE THIS GAME!

Well, here it is over a century later, and thus far I've managed to fight the uphill battle against those dastardly Germans. It's basically cost me 2 of my units for every 1 German unit... (It's never been so difficult to fight somebody before). In the end, I have had to completely abandon my assault on China after capturing only one city, Beijing.

I took back Dover (actually it was destroyed in the fighting). I took back Nottingham, which was reduced from a size 11 city with a courthouse, barracks, temple, and library to a size 4 city with nothing. I couldn't recapture Newcastle, a size 4 city guarded by 3 spearmen, with an Army of three Swordsmen as well as five other swordsmen moving in as support. And in the last turn, Canterbury fell to a single German archer. : I even have an ally, France, on the southern border of Germany who has done precisely nothing to divert Germany's forces away from me.

Yep, this is a great game!

Comment

Ah! you're the English!! Great Stuff!!

My (frustrating) war has took a turn for the better , and my since I managed to get that 9th leader (shortly followed by the 10th) I have myself back as #1 power
            Up The Millers

Comment

I lost a war vs the Aztecs because a stack of veteran hoplites, fortified, in a jungle, across a river, lost to an equal number of veteran archers. I counted 11 times in that war when my hoplites lost to their archers, while the Aztecs lost a grand total of zero archers in the process. Of course 5 of my archers couldn't kill the lone spearman defending that size 2 city.

Comment

i did once throw approx 15 jaguar warriors against what must've been several spearmen to try and take a city at the beginning of a game once. IIRC about 5 died and the majority of the rest lost their battle, with only a couple of wins (i didnt take the size 5 city).

I stopped playing as the aztecs after that

Generally I find the AI has a little bit more luck than me on average...but luck is luck...

Comment

Well, then I guess it was all just bad luck on my part.

Darn, and I thought there might be one area of my life where'd I'd have the advantage!

Oh well, I started a new game as the French...

Ok, actually, I started a new game as the Chinese.

That went rather bad due to poor starting location and annoying Indian and Japanese neighbors.

Sooo... I started another game as the French. What a disaster! If I had started on the planet Mars, it probably would have been more hospitable. I founded Paris on Hills because it was the only tile in a ten-square radius that wasn't mountains or ocean. I went with it for a little while anyway, and I managed to found Joan's summer home of Orleans on a nice piece of beachside Tundra surrounded by... lots more Tundra! And who wouldn't want to get away from home at a nice wind-swept ice plain? Well, with a home like that, a dank cave with a hibernating grizzly bear might seem more cozy.

So I embarked for a third and final time like a pioneer who can't ever find the right homestead. I tried the French again. This time I found myself a nice cushy little spot with all of the right materials for building an empire. The goodie hut with the settler in it gave me a nice little head start above everybody else. Long story short, I got my revenge on the Germans in this game... soon they'll be gone.

Comment

I didnt get the chance to kill the Germans in this game cos the Japs did it first
                    Up The Millers

Comment

Start a new game. Be somebody you know will start by them. The French work. I can testify to that. Russia works too. Consider it like reincarnated revenge.

Comment

I find myself immediately restarting a great many games soon after I start them because of a poor starting position. I know some people consider it unsporting, but, I hate to waste hours of my time on a doomed game and would rather play a game where I stand a fighting chance.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Talk about unsporting... I reload saved games. How unsporting is that? Of course, I don't do it often. Only when something truly ridiculous happens that I should have gotten a warning about or something like would happen in any real life event.

But its important to feel like you've got a fair shot at winning. I mean, I have loads of games I never play all the way through.

Comment

I never reload, but i dont play crap starting posistions tho....
                            Up The Millers

Comment

Working...
                            X