Where do I start my next city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I start my next city

Attached you'll see that I have a big decision I need to make...where do I start my next city?

Zardos
    Attached Files

I like to keep to a strict spacing pattern wherever possible. Temporary cities could always be built inbetween, and later disbanded.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
      I like to keep to a strict spacing pattern wherever possible. Temporary cities could always be built inbetween, and later disbanded.
      What do you mean ny strict spacing pattern? I remember seeing an attached image, somewhere, from one of your games and that was indeed strict. Even the naming!

I worry about you - I worry a lot!

But do you mean no leftover tiles or no overlapping city tiles?

Comment

Just took a look at the map w/ numbers and that kind of clarifies it for me.

Comment

THe map with numbers is almost identical to the placement i'd follow too..
          Up The Millers

Comment

Many people strive for this pattern, including me too. It has maximal city space with minimal overlap (0-2 tiles per city). It's not that easy to apply on non-huge maps though, and sometimes I allow minimal changes to build my cities near rivers, or have one more harbor.

Comment

No matter what type of placement you go for, your next city near number 1 would be your best bet. That much food potential can only help your civ
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Site 1 is the best, all other things being equal. But 3 might be a contender depending on what's hidden in the lower righthand corner. If it's an isthmus leading to more land with nearby AI, it might be better to block it as soon as possible.

Comment

Aeson's site #1 is the place for the next city. That's a certifiable no brainer.
                  Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

Personally, I agree that you should go for the food-rich site.

-Arrian

Edit: I suggested building it in a different spot than #1, but I looked again and I was wrong. Go w/#1, no question.
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

That map really lends itself to a nice tight pattern. I might personally upgrade #3 to #2 in order to get that ivory into the road net.

Er, of course by the time that you plant the city there your culture boundry might overtake the ivory anyway. Jinx on anybody who points that out while I'm editing...
                      Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

One other suggestion I would make in this situation. Don't build any infrastructure in Thebes. Just keep building settlers/warriors/workers there, and eventually disband Thebes to get a Palace jump to city 2. Just make sure city 2 is the only one size 3+ at the time you disband Thebes and it should center your capitol quite nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Purest Warrior
                          But do you mean no leftover tiles or no overlapping city tiles?
                          It is mathematically impossible to achieve both goals simultaneously because the 21-square "fat X" does not tile the plane. The best that can be done is to take away one of the corner tiles because that 20-square shape does tile the plane.

As for the original question:

I would build the second city on the #1 city site (the one with the cows). Send a worker there with the settler and start mining the cow square next to the city. This city will be able to produce settlers more quickly than the other sites, thus giving the fastest colonisation speed.
                          None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

While I'm not at all strict about precision city placement, the tile marked 1 is the best place to go. Work the cattle, you can roll out settlers for the other spots.

My only objection to site 2 is that is would need irrigation in order to later use all of its tiles (hills). I would consider putting two cities in the center of your landmass.
                            The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                            intelligence to few.

Comment

Without a temple (re: in expansion phase), on site #1, you have access only to 1 cow.
                              If you build a temporary city on the grassland just midway between #1 and #2, you have access to 2 cattles and 1 game: most juicy place for a settler/spearman city.
                              And this temp city does not forbid you to build later city #1 and city #2.
                              I would go for this grassland tile.
                              The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Working...
                              X