Abandoning a city?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abandoning a city?

I've heard people talking about abandoning cities they don't want to avoid domination victories.

I'm nearing that point and i accidently installed a new governer instead of razing. How do i get rid of the city?

To abandon a city, build units that require population points (settlers, workers). Starve the city down (or pop-rush/draft) to either size 1 or 2, and then make sure there is no extra food per turn at that size. At size 1, a worker being built will give the option of disbanding the city. Use a settler at size 2. If there is excess food per turn it will just wait until the city grows before building the settler or worker.

Comment

thanks Aeson, yeah i always have the extra food so it waits

Comment

u just cant. i'v tried

Comment

I dont understand why people want to avoid a domination victory??
          Up The Millers

Comment

u just cant. i'v tried
            Then you're city's entire 21 square radius is made up of Grassland cows/wheat or irrigated floodplain
            Up The Millers

Comment

Originally posted by Rothy
              I dont understand why people want to avoid a domination victory??
              (if you were being sarcastic, ignore this reply )

The big reason for me is that it's unpredictable. With every other method, you have a measurable condition for victory. With domination, it just happens suddenly...no chance to pull in your workers for extra population points or to finish a last wonder. For that reason, I always disable domination victory in my games.

If someone knows how to tell when you are about to achieve domination, I'd love to hear it.
              "Government isn't the solution to our problems; Government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

No, I don't have Civ4 yet...

Comment

I think on Cheiftain (maybe Warlord too?) you have to be at size one to disband a city. This is because you can normally build a settler at size 2. The only Cheiftain game I've played was my very first, and never a Warlord, so this may have changed in the patch.

Comment

First, zoom to the city, then remove all of the workers at the fields and turn them into taxmen or beakers (at least you'll get somthing out of the city before it goes). Then build a settler and rush build it (pop or cash). Wait a few turns and your domestic adivor should pop up asking you if want to abandon it.

If your settler is of some other nationality (say this city was culture flipped to you), I HIGHLY recommend you disband, as one time I added them to one of my cities that culture flipped to the other size 'cause of it.
                  I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Working...
                  X