No announcement yet.

Anybody got any experience with nukes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody got any experience with nukes?

I've just rush built the Manhattan project because my neighbour was building it.

If I attack them, are they likely to use nukes? In other words, do I need to strike first with the nukes or can I attack with conventional forces and hold back on the nukes? If I don't attack them is a surprise nuclear attack possible/likely?

We currently have a mutual protection pact but I think its about to expire.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

I have never launched a first strike, but I can guess there would be retaliation.

The only times the AI has launched at me were when the two following conditions were met.

1. I was at war with them already.
    2. One of my cities was building space ship parts.

The always nuked the city where the space ship part was being built. The first time it happened, I was quite surprised since I never let the AI get nukes in CIV II. I almost jumped out of my chair when I heard the sound effects. It took a second to figure out what had happened.

I'm sure the more games I play, I will find other examples.

RAH
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
      I have never launched a first strike, but I can guess there would be retaliation.

The only times the AI has launched at me were when the two following conditions were met.

1. I was at war with them already.
      2. One of my cities was building space ship parts.

The always nuked the city where the space ship part was being built. The first time it happened, I was quite surprised since I never let the AI get nukes in CIV II. I almost jumped out of my chair when I heard the sound effects. It took a second to figure out what had happened.

I'm sure the more games I play, I will find other examples.

RAH
      Sounds like an improvement over Civ II at any rate. They never hesitated to use them. I finally resorted to getting rid of the nukes altogether after I got heartily sick of being blasted. I converted them into a more powerful version of the cruise missile, with more range.

Comment

I've used them. They will retaliate, but I don't think they're apt to be proactive about it. I had an interesting time getting all but one civ into an MPP, attack the last civ, carpet-ICBM his entire empire, and let the others jump in, then repeat... got nuked twice in return (my capital and my highest-production city), but it was worth it!

Comment

Well I'm in a right pickle now.

I've built the Manhattan project but I didn't seem to get a nuclear capability out of it.

Meanwhile our mutual protection is about to expire and I have a large conventional army poised to invade as soon as it does

The trouble is, my neighbour is certain to get tactical nukes before me and my main cities are well within range.

If building Manhattan doesn't give you nukes that is a major glitch in the game.
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
            Well I'm in a right pickle now.

I've built the Manhattan project but I didn't seem to get a nuclear capability out of it.

Meanwhile our mutual protection is about to expire and I have a large conventional army poised to invade as soon as it does

The trouble is, my neighbour is certain to get tactical nukes before me and my main cities are well within range.

If building Manhattan doesn't give you nukes that is a major glitch in the game.
            You do have a source of Uranium don't you?

Comment

I played a science game, built the SDI wonder, and [i]then attacked the next-most powerful civ with some nukes. They replied in kind, and a few turns later after building some more, nuked me again. However none of their nukes hit my cities

After that, i carpet nuked the germans, and their entire island with 6 cities was covered in pollution. But i retired before i could see them all die.

The AI will use nukes, and will build more to hit you again with them. If you plan on not being nuked, build a nuke for each enemy city, and a transport or two for each city, and take their entire empire on the turn you declare war.
              Otherwise, weather their attack or build the SDI
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I'm in luck with the uranium. I have lots. If they don't get any I might be in with a chance.

Comment

I got nuked by Mao when I invaded their continent in order to stop their space program. I was the leading power in military strength, but I lagged behind in science. I was puzzled by their choice of target - a captured rim city of 1 shield production on my home continent - until I noticed that nearby was my only source of aluminum and the road was destroyed in the attack! They attacked another rim city later, but never targeted my capital for some reason.

I got a little carried away building ICBMs...
                  (also note how the # of Modern Armor overlaps...)

Re: Uranium

Do the concentrations start decreasing as soon as you connect? I think I ran out before I had built anything which would have required uranium.

Comment

With telepathic ability I found that an enemy would always nuke cities building spaceship parts (rather than the ones building tanks to attack them with) or a 'beachhead' city with lots of my units in. Once they start building them they seem to stockpile quite an arsenal of them in preference to any decent size of modern army.

Yes, uranium runs out fast, even if you are not using it.
                    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                    H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Tuomas Seijavuo
                      Re: Uranium

Do the concentrations start decreasing as soon as you connect? I think I ran out before I had built anything which would have required uranium.
                      Uranium has a 1/100 chance of disappearing each turn, regardless of whether you use it or not.

Comment

Does the AI ever nuke troop concentrations outside cities?

Comment

Working...
                        X