I want a cultural win!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want a cultural win!

I really want to win culturally but I can't seem to do it. I have tried building all the cultural buildings as soon as they come available and as many early wonders as possible but it doesn't seem to work. I always end up having to win by space race or diplomacy. I play on Regent about 80% of the time and Monarch 20%. Any suggestions or tips? I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong...

Lilith

I have just passed 100,000 Culture points in a Regent/Large Map game in the 1930's, but it seems that 2 or 3 other (remaining) civs have at least half of my culture rating. I am leaning towards destroying their capitals and major cities so they do not generate any MORE culture.

The whole problem is that I really dislike the idea of lowering myself to their government forms (e.g, communism) to wage an offensive war again.

Comment

In order to win culturally at Civ III, you must not only build all the facilities required ( Temple-Library-University-Cathedral-Colosseum-Research lab- +some great wonders at Regent, a few at Monarch+) , but also conquer some AI territory because of the doubled culture points needed next to the closest AI. At Regent I achieved that in the 1900's, and so far my only 2 cultural wins at Monarch were close before Rank victory: 2041 and 2049!!! Civ III is a wargame, culture is a facade. You must conquer at least twice(more like x2.5) the territory you have colonized peacefully, ( let's say something like 45-50% of an average map and 25% of a huge like I usually manage near the end) AND weakening the strongest AI culture. In short, be a warmonger and build units between facilities rushbuilds. Don't stay in Communism too long; reswitch to Democracy after being involved in a world war.
      The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

The other way to get a cultural victory is to get one city's cultural value to 20,000.

I've done this once with the English where I built every wonder possible (great and small) in my capital and won a cultural victory in 1962. The only one I missed was the Oracle and I had to use a few great leaders (provided generously by an overly aggressive Tokugawa) when other civs were building them.
        There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Okay, great, thank you for the answers, I didn't realize I would have to be so aggressive to win culturally. Guess I'll start building some offensive units

Comment

Working...
          X