large & huge maps why?? impossible due to waste&coruption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• large & huge maps why?? impossible due to waste&coruption

well i am allways playing on large maps,but i am now in a game where i have like 60 or 70 towns (on the same continent).
    the towns farest from my palace or fp are producing 1 shield and if i want to build something there well only hurrying will do the thing
    when i was in democraty (and i was a long time) all was ok
    but now i am at war and in a communist gov and well .....
    so my question is why they added the option to play on large and huge maps if its allmost impossible to play conquest on them
    next game will be on a normal map unless i find a sollution for this problem
    turning them in money producers is not a solution and hurrying can work for a while but after a few times civil disorder will stop growt since you have to put entertainers.
    i am playing on regent.

You might help it a little by going into the Editor and putting the "maximum" cities higher. The default value is 32 for huge maps. The patch brought corruption down some, but not a lot.

Comment

You can still conquer. You just can't do it (as a practical matter) with units produced in far-away conquered cities. This isn't terrible, or unhistoric; I don't recall the US recruiting a lot of Japanese from Okinawa to help finish off the empire ...

You just have to have your base continent crank out tanks, and ship 'em. Put an airport in the first far-away conquered city, and lots of airports in the home area, and this won't be any problem.

In conquered cities, I mainly focus on building temples, to extend the borders and get closer to the 2/3 of the squares necessary for domination.

Comment

You might help it a little by going into the Editor and putting the "maximum" cities higher. The default value is 32 for huge maps. The patch brought corruption down some, but not a lot.
        hm...yes maybe but i think there must be a solution other then hacking the game...
        anyway thx for the info
        You can still conquer. You just can't do it (as a practical matter) with units produced in far-away conquered cities. This isn't terrible, or unhistoric; I don't recall the US recruiting a lot of Japanese from Okinawa to help finish off the empire ...
        you have a point here,but on a large map it's kinda sloooow......to move your units to the other end of the world.

Comment

Why do you need those cities to produce anything? Put no more than walls and temple, maybe a barracks if you need to defend there. Get the 1 shield and move on. I only want the city (if I want it) to allow use of the roads. You can make a case for not even putting in walls or temple if no actions is going on in that area. I leave a mech and forget it. Once I am on the move to eliminate that civ they will not have an army to attack with. In any even the RR will allow me to get there in force if needed.

Comment

60 or 70 cities and you are complaining? Get the he11 out of here. How big of an empire do you want?

I play huge continental maps and I rarely have more than 50 cities, and usually anything over 30 are just there as a buffer between me and other civs. I keep the population at whatever happiness it can support and build no buildings (maybe a temple), put a couple defenders and let it sit there.

No offense, but I just don't understand what it is you want corruption to be? Like someone else mentioned, raise the number of cities permitted, otherwise live with it. Remember, more isn't necessarily better.

Comment

60 or 70 cities and you are complaining? Get the he11 out of here. How big of an empire do you want?
              i am not complaining,but when i had like 50 to 60 city's the ai's town started to revert and if this goes on at the same pace i will have near the end of the game all towns on that continent and that will then be far over the 100 city's so .......from wich maybe 40 will produce shields
              and yes i dont really need those towns,best part is if the ai bombard coasts it is those city's he bombs ....who cares...
              but i just would like to see that those city's with a courthhouse still would produce at least 4 shield ore more well at least the 20+ city's !

Comment

Well, I wouldn't say it's impossible to play on huge maps....it's just that if you build any cities too far away from your capital/forbidden palace, they'll be useless
                If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

In late stages of the game, I normally have 6 to 8 cities around the capital and another 6 to 8 around the forbidden city that are well developed, and each producing 50 to 100 shields per turn. Another 6 to 10 remote cities are producing 20 to 40 shields per turn. This productivity translates to about 10 modern armours per term. Any cities above this number does not increase the productivity, however, it does add to the final score ( land + population). The huge map breeds big and powerful AIs. In one game I battled with Babylon who had 40 cities and was producing 5 to 10 tanks per term. It was fun. In this game, I saw Babylon sent 50 calvary to conquer a Chinese city. During the heat the war (Persian allied with Babylon against Aztec + Zulu + Iroq (me)), I witnessed that a leader was produced almost every other term. Some of the AI's leaders were destroyed immediately. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw a Zulu Army loaded with two calvary and a conscript rifleman. Definitively, large or huge maps is fun to play.

Comment

Get luxuries and build marketplaces. I've found that "We love the Mahatma day" was more effective at reducing corruption than Courthouse/Police Station combined (or maybe it was the combo of all 3).

I thought Mahatma was his name, not his title.

Anyway, I'd go into the editor, make a tiny map, change the rules so that various other improvements also reduce corruption:

Banks, since banks keep records, and that leaves a trail allowing criminals to be caught.

Barracks, since that implies that there's guards around to catch these people.

Temple, since spiritual people commit fewer crimes. (Well, against your own people, but against the enemy's Pentagon...)

Heck, why try and justify it. Just add "reduce corruption" to a whole horde of improvements reduce corruption. You're not unbalancing the game, since the AI can use this too.

Now, when you want to play a random map, load the Tiny scenario, and then go to the map editor, you can switch the size and everything else, and still play with your modified rules.

Comment

Originally posted by jan3

you have a point here,but on a large map it's kinda sloooow......to move your units to the other end of the world.
                      Rush buy an airport in a conquered town on the enemy continent and you can move lots of units over in each turn. On the other hand, I agree that corruption on huge maps s*ck. I personally prefer to play on a huge earth map, but I have fears that I will grow bored of it due to the corruption. The scoring system does not encourage peaceful playing, and conquest is a pain on these huge maps.
                      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Olaf, what does corruption have to due with bordom? The core cities will do all of the prod and research and the corrupt cities are used to provide access to roads and deny them to the AI (and add to score). I just put in the min stuff and they just sit ther adding 1 gold each turn. If I have SUN wonder they get the barracks, if I have wonder for free Granary, fine, then maybe a temple.

Comment

Originally posted by Aqualung
                          Get luxuries and build marketplaces. I've found that "We love the Mahatma day" was more effective at reducing corruption than Courthouse/Police Station combined (or maybe it was the combo of all 3).

I thought Mahatma was his name, not his title.
                          Nope. His name was "Mohandas" (or possibly "Mohandes").

Mahatma loosely translates as "master", I think, and Gandhi preferred that people use his name instead of that title.

- ICMB

Comment

50 - 60 cities? I have close to 250 cities on my huge map game. After a certain point, i just build a library for the culture and expanding borders and not even garrison the city...

as for the airport idea - it works! every good city i have (maybe 40 to 50 out of the total) has an airport in it. as soon as the city builds a unit, i just ship the unit to the front - i know it is very micromanaging, but that is the bane of huge maps.

Comment

Yes that is why I play noting more than Large and very few of those. Standard is enough. I only use airports in a few cities as I like Pangea maps and you can use RR to get anywhere (for the most part).

Comment

Working...
                              X