Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guerilla Warfare Strategy?

Hi all-

I am hoping some of you Civ3 guru's can help me out with a question concerning strategy:

1.) In the old Civs (if memory serves), you could "gift" units to friendly civs? Does anyone know of a way to do that still? The idea would be to supply an allies army to fight an enemy you don't want to directly engage in combat. This would seem to be a very useful, albeit subversive, combat strategy.

Thanks again, I enjoy reading all the insightful posts.

Cheers,
    Edub

I do not see any mechanism to do it. You can sell workers cheaply, but not units. You can give maps, lux,resource, and money. The best thing is to make an MPP and be forced into the war, or just attack and help them.

Comment

So it seems it may not be possible anymore. Am I just imagining this, or was it possible in CIV2?

edub

Comment

The only unit you can gift is the worker (and then, only if it is inside your capital).
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I figure they took this option out, since the idea is if they don't have the tech to build it, they can't use it (like those cannons and such).

It would be funny if you gave a civ who didn't get Iron tech yet a Swordsman and watch them fight holding the blade end and stabing the other guy with its handle!
          I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by edub
            So it seems it may not be possible anymore. Am I just imagining this, or was it possible in CIV2?

edub
            Yes it was! (and still is if you haven't abandoned the 'good old' CivII!!!
            googol... this is a number!
            "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
            "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

Civs now give advanced weapons to other civs all the time. Look at the stingers we gave the Afghanians and they were able to use them. Surely a sword is not that tough. Not having the tech means not building, it does not mean not using if given to you. Too bad it is not allowed in the game.

Comment

I have to say this is not a feature I have seen on too many people's "Desires for the Next Patch" list. I guess it would be a somewhat major change to gameplay, but it seems to be to be a glowing deficiency.

I loved those "guerilla" wars in CIV2. Build up your own power, supply a weakling with tons of the "best of breed" weapons for their technological age, and then let them wear down an opponent that far outmatches them.

Even when the little guy loses (if you stop your support), they have drastically worn down your opponent without you ever lifting a finger!

Comment

I have to say I am surprised to have not seen this on more people's "Desires for the Next Patch" lists. I guess it would entail some major gameplay changes (and balacing), but would add a very important and realistic aspect of war.

I loved those "guerilla" wars in Civ2, where you would supply the little guy with "best of breed" weapons for their technological age, then watch them wear down a bigger opponent.

It was a great way to keep an opponent busy, and wear them down without your empire ever declaring war.

Comment

i couldn't agree with you guys more
                    Project Leader of Civiliza, an Alternative Civilization game based on Civ 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05
                      I figure they took this option out, since the idea is if they don't have the tech to build it, they can't use it (like those cannons and such).
                      This cant be the case (unless Firaxis stuffed up ) as you can capture buildings that you dont know how to build yet. I captured a city with a police station, and about 10 turns later discovered the tech for it
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns

This cant be the case (unless Firaxis stuffed up ) as you can capture buildings that you dont know how to build yet. I captured a city with a police station, and about 10 turns later discovered the tech for it
                        There is a difference between Buildings and units in the codeing.
                        I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Working...
                        X