Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh, I guess I just have bad luck

Comment

i played one game as the romans and got 2 GL in the BC turns, with the heroes epic built. I got crushed by the AI though so I never got to see how much more GLs I would of acquired.

Armies and unloading... you can't unload the units, even if it says so in the manual or readme. That feature is broken, and like another post mentions, you need to add the unload ability to the Army unit, using the editor. I don't because it essentially makes armies last forever. Last thing I don't want to see is four to six AI armies running all over the place.

Comment

Last night I was playing the French on a huge map 80% water, continents. (Admittedly on warlord) Shared huge continent with Rus, Germs, Brits & Greeks. Wiped out the Germs in short order and soon had a massive horseman army (using a sloppy variant of Vel's training camp technique, no iron so no swordsmen, decided I liked the extra movement point better anyway).

Anyway violating every rule of combined arms, I turned against the Brits, softenening up defenses with Vet horsemen then moving in for the kill with elites. Took out Brits' 8 cities (plus respawning) or so this way, always killing only with elite horsemen (Vet horsemen have no chance to kill against full-strength fortified spearmen, but they don't die). No leaders emerged. By this point I was expanding my own empire extremely fast and needed one for the FP. So I attacked the Greeks, again with horsemen (madness indeed), solely to generate one measly leader. Same strategy, soften Hoplites with Vets (lots of them), kill with elites, down go the 5 greek cities (trapped in jungles, ha), but no leader.

By now I was desperate, French empire, still in despotism had something like 60 cities (probably 30 or so training camps to rush horseys) in 100AD, even Paris was suffering from bad corruption. So I attack Rus, they were very far away used same strategy, but still no stinking leader. Had to quit, as I wan't going to manage a 100+ city continent at 1 shield 1 coin.

Lessons: 1) when you need a leader, you won't get one. 2) Horsemen, in sufficient quantity and keeping an eye on approach vectors, are the combined arms of the ancient era. I will never build a catapult again.

Dyrlac
        <insert clever sig>

Comment

never build a catapult again?! Catapults make for great defenses as it provides a free shot on attacking units, fantastic to soften up attackers. Granted if you play peacefully you won't worry about this, but there is another plus by building catapults early, and that is the foundation for empire wide cannons, then artillery and then radar artillery. Using the upgrade feature, catapults dont seem so useless after a while, especially when you reach to the point of artillery.

See those ships off my coast? move a few artillerys, reduce their HP to 1, and see them sail away fast

Comment

Perhaps I should rephrase ... mobile units, used as I described in the ancient era, obviate the need for catapults on offense. Thus I will never include catapults (which need roads to travel through mountains or jungles and only hit 1/3 of the time) in my expeditionary forces again.
            <insert clever sig>

Comment

Regarding the probability of producing leaders:
              I have *mostly* been playing the Romans.
              Some quick metrics:
              1) Most games are Monarch with Standard Settings
              2) The Romans are a militaristic so they do have an increased chance of producing leaders.
              3) I usually fight two major wars (the first one in the ancient era with legions, the second with Cavalry or tanks based on game dynamics and diplomatic relations)
              4) I only produce units in cities with barracks. So all combat units start at vet status.
              5) Usually 10-12 (or so) turns are spent with units in ACTUAL combat, for each war (defense and offense). (this does not include building units, or moving them to particular locations, or lulls in combat)
              6) Usually 15-20 units actually see combat through out each war
              7) Of those 5-7 become elite.
              8) I do not optimize my attacks for leaders, in other words I will usually lead of the attack with my best unit (the elite ones). This is because my primary concern is taking real estate, not leader generation, and I want to kill their best unit rather than make the AI's units vets or elite

I have had a leader generated in every game (expect one). Most games I get two leaders (once I got 3).

Comment

Working...
              X