Obtaining Scarce Resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obtaining Scarce Resources

I've seen a lot of folks complaining about the scarcity of strategic resources (SRs) in the game and how they couldn't get coal or iron or such. I've played half a dozen games now and have only had a few problems getting all of the SRs I need to be competitive. In each game the method of securing them has been similar. I ignore no terrain when considering territory in the early expansion period of the game and will build cities on just about anything.

First, let's review the various tile types and what resources can be found on them. This is sorted by the number of SRs they can have:

Hills: Aluminum, Coal, Horses, Iron, Saltpeter, Uranium
    Mountains: Aluminum, Coal, Iron, Saltpeter, Uranium
    Plains: Aluminum, Horses, Oil
    Desert: Aluminum, Oil, Saltpeter
    Forest: Rubber, Uranium
    Jungles: Rubber, Coal
    Tundra: Oil, Saltpeter
    Grasslands: Horses

Everyone wants to build their cities on grasslands. But if you just restrict yourself to that, you're guaranteed to not have the resources you need. They only give horses. Forget all notions of what's the best place for a city. Forget Civ2 where you and the AI ignored large desert or mountainous areas and left them unfilled. Anywhere is a good city site in Civ3. Yes, get as many cities as you can jammed on grasslands near rivers for super growers. That's a given. But every city can't be a super grower. You need a lot of "resource" cities. Moreover, you need potential resource cities. Since you can't see them until you get the advance, you have to anticipate. If you see a giant swath of plains and desert that you think would make terrible city sites, and thus ignore it, you're making a big mistake.

I've played all of my games on continents with standard settings. In these games you have a lot of contiguous tiles of the same terrain type. Sometimes over 100 squares of similar terrain bunched together. Typically, these areas end up being borders between civs. A lot have complained about this, but this is not right, use it to your advantage. This is how I've categorized them:

The Alps - tons of mountain and hill tiles. These make very natural borders between civs, and they also are highly likely to contains resources. So go ahead and build a city on a hill surrounded by mountains. It won't do anything for you production wise. At least at first. When your borders expand, you'll capture more of the mountains in the Alps in your territory and are much more likely to get that coal or uranium that you never seem to get. Late in the game it will come into it's own when you have every mountain mined and maybe get lucky and find iron and coal in same city and can build iron works.

The Sahara - vast desert & plains. Typically you see plains on either side of a core desert. These can be really huge. And seemingly poor for cities. But you must capture a lot of this territory. You'll have a high chance of getting saltpeter, oil & aluminum if you do. Don't be afraid to build a city of all desert tiles if it means preventing the AI from gaining territory. Again, it won't produce a heck of a lot for you, but you're upping your chances for later SRs. You're likely to get that early saltpeter from one of your Sahara cities and later oil and aluminum.

The Amazon - large tracts of jungle and forest. Jungle is particularly ugly for cities because of disease. But with a lot of workers, this can be cleared for fantastic late game grassland cities. In one of my games, I had an all jungle city I built for the iron in a lone mountain. It was cleared of jungle, later produced a coal and I was able to build the iron works. This city was useless early in the game except for access to iron, but in the modern era with iron works it was producing 120 shield a turn. It cranked out SS parts every 3-4 turns for a Monarch win.

The Heartland - River filled grasslands for your fast growing core cities. No need to go into detail here, we all know these are great city sites and should be the core of your empire. But they only make up a part of what you need in your territory for a complete civ.

The idea is to get as big a piece of each of these separate categories as you can in your empire. Typically, a continent will have at least one each of these four large contiguous areas. Not always, but mostly. Identify them early and try to get your piece of each one if you can.

In my current Monarch/16civ game, I have perfect placement. The Sahara was to the north, the Amazon and Alps to my south, and my core empire in a Heartland. I built/conquered 3 cities of all desert in the Sahara in the expansion phase. The Sahara established my border with America. I ended up with my only 2 saltpeters and my only oil with those "useless" desert cities. I'm betting aluminum will be in one of these cities when I need it later.

The Babylonians were to the south and Alps separated us. I saw iron before they did and was able to snag it all building an all mountain city and they ended up with none of it. Most of Babylon was in middle of a huge Amazon. I only had a little jungle, so I knew I must gain control of their territory or I might not end up with any rubber or coal. I concentrated on making the Babylons weak and thru the first two ages managed to knock them out and took over the now cleared jungle. This area is now giving me 3 rubber and 3 coals. Resources I wouldn't have had otherwise. The Amazon provided everything I needed and more. Now I have large pieces of the Alps, Amazon, & Sahara on my continent and I should be able to produce all the resources I will need.

You should do the same in your games. Make it a priority to get a piece of the Sahara, Alps & Amazon on your continent. These areas make very natural borders with your rivals. What's nice is that on the off chance you don't produce, say, a saltpeter in your piece of the Sahara, chances are there's one tantalizingly close on your rival's side of the Sahara border. A nice quick war for the resource shouldn't be a big problem in this case. Easier than getting the one deep in their territory anyway.

If you don't border one of these vast regions, than see who does have what you're missing and concentrate your energy on conquering them and getting your piece of the resource rich area.

This lesson in one sentence: Don't ignore any tile in this game!

e

Sound advice. You deserve a

Comment

Indeed a nice summary. But of course you never get guarantees. I once colonized a whole montainous peninsula, the largest towns getting to a whopping size of 4. And despite there being 10 or so cities spread out evenly, there was no strategic ressource - no iron, no coal, just some gold for commerce. Quite a disappointment.
      Attrition is not a strategy. Attrition is the apparent lack of strategy. - Sun Tzu

Comment

And I think the same applies to luxuries, but you can see those all the time. In one of my games there were three incences in the middle of a huge mountain range, but them being there (and the map being somewhat poor in luxuries) made it totally worth it to build that little outpost in the middle of nowhere and clear a road to it. If I kept playing that game, which I didn't, it probably would've yielded me some other important resources as well.

Also, the way the map works in Civ3 is that after you cross a desert, you usually hit a bunch of plains. They might not look too appetizing for a city, but they're definitely better than a desert. If you can, try to cross the desert early on (when you see one) and find out what's across, then try to settle on the other side if it's not way too far. I did that with my current game and now have cities on both sides of the desert, and basically own the desert. This way you don't have to "waste" settlers building cities that are worthless, but at the same time have control of the saltpeter (and maybe oil later) that I need in the game. I know for a fact that the Russians, who are to my south, still doesn't have saltpeter. It's a good thing

Comment

I've gone back to each of my finished games that I've saved and did a survey or where SRs are found. I didn't make a formal count, but it seems that some tiles are more likely to give a resource than others that are also supposed to have it.

So, for example, saltpeter is said to be found in hills, mountains, desert and tundra. But in my games the majority of it seems to be found in desert. Hardly any in the other tile types by comparison. Anyone else seeing this kind of uneven distribution it their games? Here are the resources that seem uneven in distribution and the tile they seem to be the most prevelent in my experience:

Aluminum - desert
          Coal - jungle
          Oil - plains
          Rubber - jungle
          Saltpeter - desert
          Uranium - forests

Is this just me, or do others see this pattern?

e

Comment

The catch with the later emerging resources is that the terrain may have been modified by the AI in the meantime. I've found coal in jungle, hills, and mountains. Iron in mountains and hills. Aluminum on plains. Uranium in mountains and grassland. Rubber mostly in jungle, but some in forested tundra.

I still think that while you need to settle otherwise inhospitable terrain to prevent the AI from doing so, you need to start with good high food producing tiles or your civ is crippled from the start. Jungle is death, literally, for example, but can serve as a useful barrier between you and a rival. In my most recent game I was on the north side of a huge expanse of jungle, and the English and Russians on the south side. The jungle gave me a lot of time to develop my cities before I could strike at the English and Russians (with the help of my French allies) and put them away.
            Gary Frazier
            Civ Freak from way back

Comment

Resource Distribution

eMarkM-

Here is a quick off-the-top-of-my-head recollection of where resources have shown up in my games:

Horses - Grassland, Hills
              Iron - Mountains, Hills
              Saltpeter - Desert, Hills (rarely, though... most desert)
              Coal - Jungle, Grassland (although it may have been jungle I cleared), hills.
              Oil - Desert, Plains, Tundra
              Rubber - Jungle, Forests (in Tundra, mostly)
              Aluminum - all over the place, particularly Plains
              Uranium - Forest, Mountains

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Great summary,
                in the game I'm playing now I burned all Indian cities except for a few that I considered crappy and gave to the French in exchange for science and stuff. Unfortunately, one of those 'crappy' cities later had two coals in it's city radius. But they had not built temple there yet, so one of the resources was outside their border. So I went in and founded a city on top of the coal, built a temple there and after five turns it's borders expanded, pushing back the french border and taking the other coal resource. The french ended up with no coal at all and it was all pulled off in a completely peaceful manner.
                Of course, this kind of takeover will not be possible too often, but still, it was kind of funny.

Comment

Which is why the only time I sell cities is to civs that I know I can beat, easily, so I never regret it. They don't pay so well, but at least I know I can take it back and sell it to them again for more money

Comment

Hmmm....interesting idea...trade in a small city that is soon re-absorbed culturally....then sell it again....
                    Attrition is not a strategy. Attrition is the apparent lack of strategy. - Sun Tzu

Comment

I think you should take Luxury Resources into account too, the AI does seem rather willing to trade Strategic for Luxury, I suspect its linked to the Trade Advisor telling you to go for more luxuries.
                      xane

Comment

I think you should take Luxury Resources into account too
                        Oh yes, absolutely. I won't hesitate to go to war over a field of luxuries if I think I can get them. I'm addressing strat resources in this post because you can't see them all at the beginning. So I'm emphasizing getting a piece of every tile type to increase your chances of getting that unseen oil or coal down the road.

With lux items, you see all of them right away and they never exhaust, so it's a bit different. I drop everything when I uncover a lux I don't have and rush a settler to it ASAP to claim the territory. And if the Romans beat me to the punch and plop a city on those four tiles of spices I was rushing my settler to and I happen to have some military in the area...well, it won't be the Roman's for long.

e

Comment

I hate it when you discover a field of _____ (fill in the lux of choice) and they're so far away, you have no realistic way of keeping them AND sending them back to your other cities. It's happened to me a few times when it's just way too far out. I hate it when that happens

Comment

I have not seen any real preferential tendencies for resource placement in any of my games, or at least those I have seen directly contradict observations printed here. For instance, I have seen coal almost exclusively located in Jungle settings. Most of the time I've seen saltpeter located in mountains. That the anecdotal experiences diverge suggests that the placement engine is working as it is supposed to.

I have a comment of another sort. In my experience the game tends to cluster resources of like type. For example, I frequently see four or five of the same resource within one or two city radiuses of each other. This is especially pronounced for luxury resources, but also frequent in strategic resources. I'm wondering if others have observed a similar tendency. I'm wondering if it's accidental, or if the generator actually has a tendency to place resource X near other instances of resource X.

Comment

This is especially pronounced for luxury resources
                              This was an intentional design decision. They wanted to more or less clump lux together to encourage trading. The clumps are generally near each civ starting point. Since you only need one of a given lux, you have extras to trade for those you don't have. They didn't want any one civ to land all 8 lux in their territory so they generally get clumped in only one spot on the whole globe. So always find your clump and claim it.

Yes, strat resources get clumped, too, but not as much. Though in my current game I have 8 of the 9 saltpeters on my continent since I started near a big desert. Buhhahaha

e

Comment

Working...
                              X