coal plant v. hydro plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coal plant v. hydro plant

Is it really worth the time and effort to replace coal plants with hydro plants. All that wasted production. Pollution did not even seem to get any lesser. Now if coal plants were not replaced, but augmented by additional hydro plants that would be different.

I never bother building Coal Plants, except in a few wonder producing cities. Just get the Hoover Dam and your problems are solved.
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

I do the same as Boney I just don't want to deal with the pullution coal plants give.
      "I am the alpha and the omega"
      "I am the beginning, the end, the one who is many"

Comment

well, I like build faster if I have those.

Comment

Re: coal plant v. hydro plant

Originally posted by Boney
          Is it really worth the time and effort to replace coal plants with hydro plants. All that wasted production. Pollution did not even seem to get any lesser. Now if coal plants were not replaced, but augmented by additional hydro plants that would be different.
          Yeah....i build Coal Plants too, until Hydro is available! The boost in production is real good, until you find plants more cleaner!

BTW, have you guys noticed that the production boost of the Nuclear Plant is 150% and not 50% as the other power plants?
          (at least that's what is in the civilopedia, i haven't reach there yet to see by myself)

EDIT: After seeing in the Civ 3 Editor, i found:
          - Nuclear Power increases factory output by 150%;
          - All other power plants increases factory output by 50%;
          - City must have a river in it's radius to build a Hydro Plant/Hoover Dam;
          - City must be near water (whatever that means) to build a Nuclear Plant;
          - Coal and Solar Plants are the only power plants that can be build in every city.

Portugal
          Nation of: Magellan's (from Magellan's Expedition);
          Vasco da Gama (Discoverer of the Maritime path to India);
          and Pedro Álvares Cabral (Discoverer of Brazil in 1500)
          "Every day Mankind fights a battle against Nature, forgetting if winning, Mankind will be among the defeated!"

Comment

I also noticed it.

It's either a mistake in the civilopedia, a bug, or a very good option. Unfortunately you can't really use it if the space race victory option is on.

I'm too lazy to check if it really adds 150%...
            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
              I also noticed it.

It's either a mistake in the civilopedia, a bug, or a very good option. Unfortunately you can't really use it if the space race victory option is on.

I'm too lazy to check if it really adds 150%...
              Yes. it does! I saw it in the Editor!!

Originally posted by Boney
              Pollution did not even seem to get any lesser.
              That is because Hydro Plants don't reduce the pollution caused by shield production! They just don't make pollution, but they don't reduced it, like in Civ 2! What i mean is that the production bonus of the Hydro Plant doesn't count towards pollution, but the production that existed before the Hydro Plant (Base Production, Factory, Manufacturing Plant) is not changed!

Pollution production goes as follows:
              - Hydro and Solar Plants produce no pollution;
              - Coal Plants produce pollution (same ammount as factory - don't know really how much, i think is 50%);
              - Nuclear Plants reduce shield pollution by 50%.

Portugal
              Nation of: Magellan's (from Magellan's Expedition);
              Vasco da Gama (Discoverer of the Maritime path to India);
              and Pedro Álvares Cabral (Discoverer of Brazil in 1500)
              "Every day Mankind fights a battle against Nature, forgetting if winning, Mankind will be among the defeated!"

Comment

I also just go for the Hoover Dam so I wouldn't have to build the damn things in every city.. but seems like I'll be switching to nuke power quite soon

Comment

In civ3 there is no such thing as pollution from production.
                  There are only pollution making buildings

Factory: 2 pollution points
                  Coal Plant: 2
                  Iron Works: 4
                  Manuf. Pl: 2
                  Nulc. & Hyd. Plants: 0 (ZERO!)
                  Res. Lab: 1
                  Airport: 1
                  Offshore Platform: 2

Every pop beyond 12 (until building Mass Transit): 1 polltution point

Recyc. Labs dercrease polltion from buildings for some amount.

Comment

Nuclear plants do give you a 150% bonus. However, there is the risk of meltdown. I've not had a meltdown yet, but I assume it's very very bad.

What bugs me is that if I build a hydro plant, coal plant still appears on my menu. A hydro plant should be considered an upgrade to a coal plant. There's no reason to switch back.

Comment

You can sell that Coal Plant.
                      Just right click on Coal Plant icon, and then click on sell building option.

Comment

this took me a little time to figure out myself. The civlopedia informs us: hydro plants require a source of water.

So even after you build a hoover dam you will still need coal plants in many cities.

Yet another wonder nerf'd.

Comment

Originally posted by jack_frost
                          this took me a little time to figure out myself. The civlopedia informs us: hydro plants require a source of water.

So even after you build a hoover dam you will still need coal plants in many cities.

Yet another wonder nerf'd.

Hoover damn gives hydro plants to ALL cities on the continent, even those without water access.

What it means by access to water is that in order to BUILD the hoover dam you have to have water nearby.
                          Yours in gaming,
                          ~Luc

Comment

I was suprised too, since thats how it worked in civ2.

Look again.

Comment

i'm wrong - Elucidus is right.

Comment

Working...
                              X