Diplomacy issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diplomacy issues

I'm really looking for comment on these points. They are not final observations, nor are they precisely questions; just simply notes on study-in-progress.

* SMAC's AI could easily be fooled into trading a huge city for your own small one. As a result, Civ 3's opponent AIs won't trade cities. I've experimentally tried offering as many as three large cities for one starter city of a neighbor, but my advisor hastily pointed out that my foreign friends would be insulted.

* There appears to be no mechanism for controlling the number of luxury or strategic resources you offer in trade. Your trading partner takes all they need, and you may not have enough to offer a second potential trading partner.

* The opponent AIs get angry when a worker builds a road on their territory, although this would appear to be necessary to create a trade route.

* AIs are aware of your relative strengths in many areas, much as you are of theirs--the advisors providing this information regularly is a subtle twist on earlier Civs with profound implications for gameplay.

* Oddly enough, when I prepared to offer a trade of territorial or world maps with an AI through the full trading menu (all trade options available), my advisor almost always said they'd be insulted. But offering the same trade by clicking on it without launching the full trade options screen was usually successful. I tried reloading and attempting this several times, with identical results.

Comments welcome.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    * There appears to be no mechanism for controlling the number of luxury or strategic resources you offer in trade. Your trading partner takes all they need, and you may not have enough to offer a second potential trading partner.

Explain this. No "mechanism" for controlling the number of luxury or strategic resources? When you trade the AI get's 1 of that type of resource. No "mechanism" needs to exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Auslander

Explain this. No "mechanism" for controlling the number of luxury or strategic resources? When you trade the AI get's 1 of that type of resource. No "mechanism" needs to exist.
      I traded luxury goods with China in a game earlier today. They took my full surplus of two dyes, in one trade.

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        I traded luxury goods with China in a game earlier today. They took my full surplus of two dyes, in one trade.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Either a bug or some kind of mistake. As far as I know once a Civ has access to a resource you can't trade them another of the same type. Anyone else experienced this?

Comment

I think you can get cities from another civ, not by trading it for another city but by trading it for money. Not sure though.
          If you were in my movie...

Comment

Use the option of asking them what they will give for a trade. Sometimes this is more than you wanted eventhough the advisor told you that they would be insulted.

Also ask them what they want.

later

Comment

Originally posted by teknokrat
              Use the option of asking them what they will give for a trade. Sometimes this is more than you wanted eventhough the advisor told you that they would be insulted.

Also ask them what they want.
              Tried that. It was a nice idea, but unfortunately, they won't accept even 1000 gold in exchange for a level 1 city, and there was nothing I had that they wanted. Not my iron, my dye, nothing.

Comment

If you capture the other AI a few cities, then you can "force" AI to give u a city with the peace agreement (maybe u need to give them some money or tech.)

ie. In my game, AI agree to give me 1 small citie after I got the AI capital. All citizens in that city become my nationality.

another example, when I agree to sign peace, I give them back a big city which is orginial theirs, and exchange for a small city but which locate near to resource.

Comment

Re: Diplomacy issues

Originally posted by Barry Brenesal

* SMAC's AI could easily be fooled into trading a huge city for your own small one. As a result, Civ 3's opponent AIs won't trade cities. I've experimentally tried offering as many as three large cities for one starter city of a neighbor, but my advisor hastily pointed out that my foreign friends would be insulted.

Comments welcome.
                  I had a smiliar experience. I really really wanted their Furs, so I offered horses, iron and ivory. My advisor says we are getting close to a deal. So I add a fine city with very nice inhabitants and my advisor turns sour and said they would be insulted if they were offered the deal! So I guess the AI doesnt want my extremely superior cities. Do they want any city ever?
                  This might or might not be a signature

Comment

Working...
                  X