• Show
Clear All

• HOW TO... Get rid of a city

1. Remove all units from the city
    2. Place one unit next to the city, with one movement left
    3. Give the city to another civ
    4. Take the city back with the unit next to it
    5. Raze it

Make sure that step 3 to 6 are done in the same turn, so it doesn't give any war-weareness.

Comments welcome.
    If you were in my movie...

Won't that provoke war?
    Regards,
    Michael Heilemann

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Technically it's exploiting a bug though...
        I HATE YOU

Comment

No bugs here, but definitely exploiting.

Comment

I admit that this solution is kinda cheesy. Not really a cheat or a bug or whatever, but still...

The problem is that there is no other way and with the huge corruption going on, sometimes you really want to get rid of a city.

O, and yes, it will provoke a war, so it's noting you can do sparringly (well, unless you do like 10 cities in one turn).

Comment

What's wrong with the old-fashioned method of starving it down to size 1 (2 now) and making a settler?

Comment

Originally posted by Grunthex
                What's wrong with the old-fashioned method of starving it down to size 1 (2 now) and making a settler?
                You can't do it. The game won't let you produce a settler in a size 2 or smaller city.

Comment

Originally posted by Anunikoba

You can't do it. The game won't let you produce a settler in a size 2 or smaller city.
                  I beg to differ. I've done it at least 20 times in my current game. The key is your food production must be 0 growth. Maybe negative. but not positive.

Comment

Starving it to death cost a looooong time...

And yes, you can still disband it when produsing a settler when it's 1 or 2 as long as you don't have any surplus on your food production.

Comment

It doesn't take THAT long. If it's a smallish city (less than 8), you only need 6 turns to starve it down to 2. Maybe 8, you might need 2 turns to empty the food box.

If it's a large city, sure it might take 12-15 turns, but those cities usually have improvements to sell off!

And either way, it avoids a war.

Comment

well, i don't know if anyone else is finding this, but I'm having an incredably hard time getting the AI to cooperate with negotiations (probably because i'm not a great player so my civilization is only 'in the middle' when it comes to power). One thing I have noticed, though, is that when I ask them what they'd be willing to trade me for a city (just out of curiosity, haven't tried trading one yet), they seem to be willing to give an arm and a leg for it. So, if you can live with helping the computer and having the city there and it just not being your problem, trade the city away for something you want! At least you don't start a war this way, and the city becomes 'someone else's problem...

Hope this helps someone...

-- adaMada
                        Civ 3 Democracy Game:
                        PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
                        Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

Comment

a suggestion
                          don't just starve it,
                          starve it, while building settlers
                          set all the workers to produce shields, which builds settlers faster
                          each new settler kills two citizens from the population
                          a pretty quick way to dissolve a city, plus you keep the settlers, which you can use to build new cities where you want
                          or add em to existing cities
                          vini vidi vici

Comment

Working...
                          X