No announcement yet.

Smoke-Jaguar versus Sid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I'm taking a (perhaps indefinite) break from this game to officially point out that Corruption is stupid in C3C.

In the screenshot below, the city of Bonampak (lower left) is producing 11 Shields per turn, of which 10 are lost to Corruption. It's a distance 6, and I have 3 other cities at that distance. I am using some pretty tight spacing in some places, but at a glance (from experience) I feel that a city like that should be producing at least 2 Shields per turn. Otherwise there is no point in going much further than 5CC, because all those extra cities are guaranteed to suck.

(Yes, I'm still in Desptism, but sheesh!).

On Sid difficulty, what this means is that even if you do manage to do some pretty successful REXing (like I believe I have in this game), you still have to wait like 200 turns before amassing a big enough army to put a dent in the nearest civ. This is indendepent of the tech issue, which of course is very much relevant.

I know it sounds like I'm angry at Sid, but really I think I would have this game in hand if Corruption were not so ridiculous. Sir Ralph was correct to not even attempt this one for this very reason.
    Attached Files
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Normally play Monarch - and OUCH!

Still alive in 500BC but basically surrounded by Mongols with no room to expand. Won a couple of skirmishes with the Spanish and Japanese but I don't have the tech to build anything useful in my productive cities....

At least I haven't been squashed yet, I suppose...

Comment

By the way, I'm now 4 for 7 with Enslave, and there's a nice big juicy stack of Barb Horsemen (from an uprising) just waiting to go to work for me!

Dominae

Comment

Well, I'm also normally playing at Monarch and all I can say is Holey Moley!

This is insanely difficult, my shoulders are starting to hunch over, I'm all tensed up and not enjoying it like I do a Monarch game, but what the heck, it was worth a shot. Got one Enslavement. Not sure I'll go any further. Just not "fun".

I honestly don't know what I'm supposed to be doing, what I'm doing wrong, how I'm going to catch up on tech, etc.

Truly painful.
          Newfound respect for those that can compete at this level.
          Attached Files
          "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
            By the way, I'm now 4 for 7 with Enslave, and there's a nice big juicy stack of Barb Horsemen (from an uprising) just waiting to go to work for me!

Dominae
            where did you find any barbs to enslave? The AI was all over the map clearing barbs beofre I even had any JT's. I killed a couple with JT, but no enslave. The rest were all warrior fights.

Comment

BTW I am trying to beat the corruption by not making so many cities. I have about the same land, but only half the cities you have.
              My original idea was to give the capitol some room, but that was dumb, since I will not be making any wonders until at least the industrial age, due to tech.

I also more or less headed straight to Monarchy and I am researching it now. I think I made a mistake in not making more cities as I cannot make more troops because of the upkeep.

Comment

I will play your Sid challenge after the game is fixed.

Comment

What's the OCN for that size map on Sid level?

The RCP "fix" is killing you. By my count, you have:

1 city at distance 2
                  3 cities at distance 3
                  2 cities at distance 4
                  2 cities at distance 5
                  4 cities at distance 6

Ok, then. As I understand corruption, the first city is ranked 1. Then you have 3 tied at rank 4. Then 2 at 6. Then 2 at 8. Then 4 at 12. Bonampak is therefore ranked 12. Ick.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
                    On Sid difficulty, what this means is that even if you do manage to do some pretty successful REXing (like I believe I have in this game), you still have to wait like 200 turns before amassing a big enough army to put a dent in the nearest civ. This is indendepent of the tech issue, which of course is very much relevant.
                    Hehe Deity in vanilla when it first came out also seemed ridiculous.........resources will be found I'm sure.

I'm interested in your progress; I suppose you are out of the tech race now. When you attack it will presumably have to be in large numbers against a well advanced and armed foe.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                      The RCP "fix" is killing you. By my count, you have:

1 city at distance 2
                      3 cities at distance 3
                      2 cities at distance 4
                      2 cities at distance 5
                      4 cities at distance 6
                      I even tried to spread them out as much as possible!

Hehe Deity in vanilla when it first came out also seemed ridiculous.........resources will be found I'm sure.
                      I've been playing the game long enough that I know what I should and should not be capable of. With the amount of land availalbe to me, I should have more than 5 productive cities at this point. This is independent of how strong the opposition is. It took a difficult game to show me how bad Corruptino is now; I could usually do just fine on Demigod and below with the power of those 5 or so cities alone.

Dominae

Comment

It took a difficult game to show me how bad Corruptino is now
                        "Corruptino". Maybe we can send Firaxis et al a picture of a big fat mafia guy with this one word caption so they understand how we feel abot c3c corruption..

Comment

I am still alive and have meet all the civs. I sent two cargs and one made it Nippar or one of Hammies cities, where I met the other two civs. That is about all the good news I got. 270BC someone finished Leo's. I am still working on Monarchy.
                          So basically I am a whole age behind already. The good news is the techs will be cheap to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                            I am still alive and have meet all the civs. I sent two cargs and one made it Nippar or one of Hammies cities, where I met the other two civs. That is about all the good news I got. 270BC someone finished Leo's. I am still working on Monarchy.
                            So basically I am a whole age behind already. The good news is the techs will be cheap to learn.
                            What's your attack timing plan? Go to early and you don't have enough..........go too late and they will have too many nice units.

Comment

If you build more than 2 cities at any spacing, you're getting screwed. I tend to build 1 at every possible distance, and only start doubling up at 5 or 6 if necessary.

I played this game tonight, and ran into a buzzsaw after doing very well at the start. The gpt bug and being behind in tech is a problem, because they can sign alliances and you can't. I also officially hate Zeus! More later...

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
                                If you build more than 2 cities at any spacing, you're getting screwed. I tend to build 1 at every possible distance, and only start doubling up at 5 or 6 if necessary.
                                Hehe one reason to delay these Sid games from my point of view is that I do not wish to start thinking like this.

But, another 6 weeks or so.

Comment

Working...
                                X