Does anybody else do this ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody else do this ?

Later in the game, when I have the tech to use these units, I will often use ICBMs as 'artillery' to clear a path for ground troops.

Example :

I am invading an enemy continent and my tanks/ modern armor have run into a 'knot' of enemy resistance. Usually a city that has 4 or 5 Mech Inf fortified or something similarly costly to beat down. In order to take such a city, I simply back my tanks away from the target and NUKE the defenders, then move right in. (and my tanks go rolling along).

I've seen many threads that basically say that other people NEVER use nukes under ANY circumstances. They refuse to use them because they are afraid of AI retaliation. I have never experienced retaliation from the AIs I've nuked. Not once. Ever. In hundreds of games. Does anybody else out there actually use ICBMs ?
    Thank god, there are no KENDER in Civ3.

Re: Does anybody else do this ?

Originally posted by KenderBane
    I've seen many threads that basically say that other people NEVER use nukes under ANY circumstances. They refuse to use them because they are afraid of AI retaliation. I have never experienced retaliation from the AIs I've nuked. Not once. Ever. In hundreds of games. Does anybody else out there actually use ICBMs ?
    I for one never use nukes out of considerations other than any AI response. If I get to the point that I can build nukes, I've progressed in the game far enough that I can win diplomatically, or I am close to a spaceship win, or the sheer power of modern units (MA, principally) in human hands means a domination win is already at hand with or without nukes. In other words, my reticence to use nukes comes from a desire to end the game efficiently (since I've played far too long already) rather than any ingame consequences to actually using the buggers. In this framework, nukes are worthwhile mainly as a deterrant to a similarly-powerful AI and/or as a prebuild for spaceship parts.

Catt

Comment

Later in the game, when I have the tech to use these units, I will often use ICBMs as 'artillery' to clear a path for ground troops.

Example :

I am invading an enemy continent and my tanks/ modern armor have run into a 'knot' of enemy resistance. Usually a city that has 4 or 5 Mech Inf fortified or something similarly costly to beat down. In order to take such a city, I simply back my tanks away from the target and NUKE the defenders, then move right in. (and my tanks go rolling along).

What level are you playing on? Try playing a game on Regent and see what a nuclear retalitory strike looks like. (hint: A lot of orange goo)

Also I find it hard to believe that any nation that has been nuked has not retaliated in kind if they have any in their arsenel. In my games any time I nuke an AI the entire world (except AI's I am currently allied with) immediately declares war on me.
      * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
      * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
      * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
      * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

I tend to use nukes only as an economic crippler of a civ I am at war with. I usually run around with huge stacks of Artillery that pound city defeneders to one hit point each then come in with tanks/MA to capture the city. If the civ I'm fighting is a production powerhouse, I nuke his core. Not so much to destroy units, but mainly for destroying city improvements and tile improvements (What use is a size 24 city that has the surounding 8 tiles covered in nuclear waste?). With a disabled core, it will be next to impossible for them to build additional units to fight me with in a timely manor.
        Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by donegeal
          I tend to use nukes only as an economic crippler of a civ I am at war with. I usually run around with huge stacks of Artillery that pound city defeneders to one hit point each then come in with tanks/MA to capture the city. If the civ I'm fighting is a production powerhouse, I nuke his core. Not so much to destroy units, but mainly for destroying city improvements and tile improvements (What use is a size 24 city that has the surounding 8 tiles covered in nuclear waste?). With a disabled core, it will be next to impossible for them to build additional units to fight me with in a timely manor.
          even better. Nuke the capital. Wait a turn. Nuke it again killing most of the workers trying to clear the pollution from the first strike. Nuke the rest of his core. This civ will now have no production power and very few workers to eliminate the pollution
          * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
          * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
          * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
          * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Bomber

even better. Nuke the capital. Wait a turn. Nuke it again killing most of the workers trying to clear the pollution from the first strike. Nuke the rest of his core. This civ will now have no production power and very few workers to eliminate the pollution
            This, and you, are so very evil.
            Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Oohhh... that's pretty wicked, Mad Bomber...
              I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Hardly get to the point where I'm able to build nukes (or I don't build them untill the AI starting to "nuking up"). But I might use them if a civ continously declare war on me and I have no interesest or ability to start an invasion of it's territory. Using Mad Bomber's (!) strategy is good then, yes (or I'll often bomb away the airport, harbor and roads of the capital. Quite effective in slowing a warmonger)

Comment

Using Mad Bomber's strat would mean a lot of pollution, and no workers to clean it up! Wouldn't this be bad for you, the human player, since your world might experience global warming?
                  Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Concerning Nukes, I have used them to take out concentrations of NAVAL units; the advantages here are:
                    1) No pollution to worry about, unless it's next to a coast.

2) a good way to eliminate several powerful naval units (Battleships) in one smackdown.

Usually the AI can't replace it's battleship or AEGIS force very quickly, allowing you to march on in, if you so desire.
                    Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

I actually used nukes in my last game. I almost finished the tech tree The reason was that I decided to win via 20,000 culture in one city, and well, even with a rockin' city that takes a while.

The turn before I won via culture, I decided "what the hell" and dropped 2 ICBMS on the Sumerian capitol. I didn't like that city. It was taking up the #2 city spot on the F11 screen. It had to go. And so it did, along with the northern 1/3 - 1/2 of the Sumerian empire. Then F11 looked right. Iroquois purple top to bottom.

If I had been fighting Sumer for real (instead of just doing as much damage as I could 1 turn before winning the game), I would not have nuked them. That's just pollution I'm going to have to clean up, which is irritating. Further, if the game had been closer (this was a blowout), I wouldn't have wasted the shields building nukes in the first place.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

"Do you know what those things can do? Suck the paint off your house and give your family a permanent orange afro."

Comment

Does anybody else do this ?
                          No, but I can do this:

Does anybody else do this?

Comment

bfg9000,

I don't know if I can do that, but I can pat my head and rub my belly at the same time ... but so can a whole lot of other people, too.

Mad Bomber,

What level are you playing on? Try playing a game on Regent and see what a nuclear retalitory strike looks like. (hint: A lot of orange goo)
                            I always play on Regent level or higher. And I've never seen the AI launch a retalitory strike ... probably because my tech lead lets me know where the Uranium is before they can use it, and I conquer all the Uranium tiles before anybody else has the chance to build nukes. But that's a different storty
                            Thank god, there are no KENDER in Civ3.

Comment

can people post some pics of the nuclear strikes? Before and after maybe

Comment

Working...
                              X