Barbs that spawn next to my units?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbs that spawn next to my units?

OK, as far as I knew, Barbarian camps only spawn in land not visible to a civ. Thus I have at times in the past used units spread through unsettled areas close to my lands to avoid the great Barb uprising sof the change of era.

However, I am in the middle of my first real go at a Monarch game, playing as the Romans, and I have just seen a Barb camp spawn next to a stack of slave workers I have! I am posting the before save. At the end of this post should be the save. Go and have a look at the stack of slave workers between Malaca and Saldae in the far NW of the continent.

Then end turn, click through everything and when you can play again, go back there and notice the barb camp that has spawned right next to them! I will post a screenshot if I can, but I am unsure if I can manage before getting to work tomorrow as my modem screws me at times.

I would appreciate it if someone could correct my erroneous assumption about Barb camp spawns, or let me know if this is a bug, or whether it calls into question the whole idea that Barba only spawn in Fog of War.

This game was started and has been played completely in PtW v1.29f. My game is not cracked or hacked in any way, and the only "mod" I am using (or have ever used) is the Sn00py terrain mod.
    Attached Files
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Before - no barb camp is there. The one warrior you see is left over from a camp killed recently.
    Attached Files
    Consul.

Comment

After - perhaps my Legion of Carthaginian slaves does not strike fear into the hearts of Barbarians?
      Attached Files
      Consul.

Comment

Very odd. I've never seen that before.
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Barbs do not spawn within visibility of combat units. Workers, Settlers and Scouts don't count as combat units.

Comment

Really? Is that a a certainty or just an educated guess? I am all the more impressed if the game actually makes the distinction between visibility range of combat units/cities and workers/settlers/scouts.
            Consul.

Comment

It's a certainty. I have seen camps appearing next to my scouts and settlers wandering alone.

Comment

Yep - I have seen barb camps appear next to my slaves as well
                "No Comment"

Comment

Yes, I have had barb camps next to scouts and workers. I also had one spawn right next to an observation post once.
                  Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Yep, only combat units deter them. I lost several workers that way before I realized it.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

That's especially annoying in the period of barbarian horsemen, as they show up out of nowhere.

Comment

Re: Barbs that spawn next to my units?

They're called Groupies.

Comment

Barbs do not spawn within visibility of combat units.

I'm glad I learnt this here at poly and not the hard way
                          Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Interesting stuff. I suppose that, contrary to my previous comment, I must have seen this before, but just not been paying enough attention. That sounds like me.
                            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by bongo

I'm glad I learnt this here at poly and not the hard way
                              :grumble: Learned this one the hard way.......and I have a bad habit of relearning it the hard way every couple of games.
                              Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                              I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Working...
                              X