AU Comments/Suggestions/Complaints Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU Comments/Suggestions/Complaints Thread

This is the thread to post in if you have comments, suggestion or complaints about the AU.

This is a comment

Maybe have a thread that lists the ongoing AU games and what stage they are in with links.

For a newbie that would be helpful

Thanks
    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

I have a comment, though perhaps my comment should be disregarded, as I never have had enough time to play an AU game to completion.

The DAR are great if you follow a game from the get go... but once the game's been going on for some time, it's nearly impossible, time-wise, to follow the whole thing, especially where images are at times lacking. The level of detail is, in other words, a bit much.

Of course, the DAR originated in response to lack of detail, and I certainly think the DAR is valuable, and good. But with so many different threads, and so many different DARs, it's a bit intimidating to follow the AU games. And if you can't follow the AU games, how can you learn from them?

That said, it looks as though everyone is having a good time, which is the most important thing. So take my comment lightly, if at all.
      You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

Great thread! I checked that out, all Im asking is maybe add to that thread the status fo the AU game.

For example a completed AU game would be:

AU 101-bla bla bla description-completed fall 2002

Ongoing would would be:

AU506-bla bla description-Started OCT 8, 2003-ongoing

Thats all Im saying and it is only a suggestion.

Thanks
        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

At least at a conceptual level, there is no such thing as a "completed" AU game. Newcomers are always welcome to go back and play the old ones and to add their results to the threads. (Admittedly, in practice, different patch levels can get in the way in pre-PTW games.)

If the games are (or would be) listed in chronological order rather than by course number, providing start dates would indicate not only when each game started but when the next one after it started. The last game on the list would be the current one.

Comment

Originally posted by Yahweh Sabaoth
            The DAR are great if you follow a game from the get go... but once the game's been going on for some time, it's nearly impossible, time-wise, to follow the whole thing, especially where images are at times lacking. The level of detail is, in other words, a bit much.
            I see where you're coming from, but lowering the level of detail to make it easier for more casual readers to follow the games would undercut AU's value for more serious scholars (including both newcomers who want a fairly clear picture of how the experts operate and experts who like to watch each other at work). Apolyton University, like most universities, is geared more toward serious students than toward people who just want to sit in on a class session every now and then.

Nathan

Comment

I agree that without the detail, they will not be of all that much value. You would be better off to read from the sotries section.

I wonder if what the answer is to the"completed questions" is to have a summurized page after the game has been finished by the the people that started it at the beginning.
              IOW take one of the finished runs and make a "completed AUxxx" with only that game and maybe remove the chit chat from the thread.
              This would give all late comers a place to go to see one full run and no side tracking. This could be useful to even those that followed all the way. They may come back 2 months later and want to read one complete run.
              The problem is if that is a good idea, who is going to do the work to make a thread and pull in all the pieces?

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                I agree that without the detail, they will not be of all that much value. You would be better off to read from the sotries section.

I wonder if what the answer is to the"completed questions" is to have a summurized page after the game has been finished by the the people that started it at the beginning.
                IOW take one of the finished runs and make a "completed AUxxx" with only that game and maybe remove the chit chat from the thread.
                This would give all late comers a place to go to see one full run and no side tracking. This could be useful to even those that followed all the way. They may come back 2 months later and want to read one complete run.
                The problem is if that is a good idea, who is going to do the work to make a thread and pull in all the pieces?
                Actually I'm planning to do just that with my completed run of AU209. I'll be writing an entire AAR in one thread instead of spread out through the DAR threads. That's why it will take me a little while before I post it. I want to write out the entire thing and post in succession so it's not spread out with chit chat.

Comment

Sounds good. Take Au208 as an example. If someone were to go into that thread and copy/paste one of the games into its own thread and then link it in the History thread, that would be a nice complete game for others.
                  I think nbarclay played it on emperor and finished, that would be a good choice. If later others come along and play 208, they would be encourage to post in the original thread and leave the completed thread alone.
                  The editor could skip over the non relevant post and include any that brought out useful information (regardless of who posted it).
                  Now what is good about some of the later stuff is that saves were posted along the way.

Comment

Yeah, IIRC, nathan crushed it. But I thought he played it on Monarch.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                      Yeah, IIRC, nathan crushed it. But I thought he played it on Monarch.

-Arrian
                      No he was on emperor. Both he and MS crushed it. I hit a stopping point on India when my forces started dying in droves attacked by all four of the remaining civs.

Comment

Forget about who crushed it, what do think of that idea?

Comment

I think it's a great idea!! We'll have to get badams52 in here though to edit his AU History post once it's done.

Comment

So does anyone feel like taking on the job of consolidating Nathan's and Mountain Sage's AU208 posts into one thread each? Another one to do would be Catt's Au204 AAR. Theseus has a link to the whole thread, but to get to it you have to wade through a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                            X