Please Help the Newb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems pretty good to me.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Looks much better! Some comments:

- Why are some of your cities building wealth? Let them build something useful, perhaps cathedrals, prebuild wonders, perhaps some more settlers.

- Why are three workers chopping forest east of Persepolis? That tile is not in any city radius, I'm not even sure if any city gets the lumber bonus. I would plop a city there, plain and simple, and the forest is gone.

- Why is the worker mining the ivory plains northeast of Tyre? You have fresh water near Intombe, chop the dye forest there and irrigate through the large basin.

- Don't care about the babylonian city. You can either flip or take it later. Build some more cities, or the AIs will.

- Great game!

Comment

May i give you also 1 suggestion:

instead of building your workers, try to buy (or trade for techs) as many as you can.

The cost of workers and settlers is immense. first realise a citizen is worth at least the 20 shields it could give you in a rush build and see workers and settlers cost at least 30 and 70 shields respectively.

you can buy the workers from your opponents for 30 gold usually on average, even though they are half as fast, it is still a very good price. Gold usually is pretty easy to come by anyway. you can of course also capture them.

My point is simply, try to build as little workers yourself as possible, keeping as many citizens in your cities as you can. try to get your opponents workers.

Usually i do this by checking teh diplomacy screens EVERY turn espescially in early game, and buy workers whenever possible.

Comment

WOA, you have to install the latest patch. Mostly due to Aeson (I think), Firaxis realized that buying Workers was an absurdly easy exploit at 30g, and raised the price to around 130g.
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

And even at 130g. it's most of the time worth it, especially while your neighbor is stuck in a difficult position (jungle or hills).
            Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

Thanks all.

Sir Ralph: I didn't realize none of my cities would get the lumber bonus. How does that work? You only get the bonus if the tile is inside your territory?

Comment

I think only cities, which have the forest in their cityradius, qualify for the lumber bonus, and only if they aren't producing a wonder. Cities that got a lumber bonus, or shields from disbanding units, cannot be switched to a wonder anymore.

Comment

Use the damn workers!
                  I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Konquest02
                    And even at 130g. it's most of the time worth it, especially while your neighbor is stuck in a difficult position (jungle or hills).
                    True... it's just not the exploit that it used to be. And, again, it provides all the more reason to invest in building up your own native Worker force. I fully agree with SR, 20 Workers (or more!) are called for here.

Remember... this is "Civ3: The Worker Game."

Comment

I read some where that forrest chops will go to the nearest qualified city, but I have never been brave enough to verify it. The point is still good, work tiles that are in the city radius.
                      You almost cannot have too many workers, until after you have RR all your land.

Comment

Hi Guitar man I DL your second save and took a look at it, I asked Shaka what he would give for peace and got Monarchy, Engineering, world map, Umtata and 3 gold

Couldnt persuade him to let go of Republic. Opened a embassy with the Babs and noticed only three spearmen protecting the capitol, IMO you should focus on attacking the babs when youre ready. By ready I mean switch governments and build some more pikemen, temples and Libraries. I think you have got enough barracks but more are always useful. The Babs are building Sun Tzu (along with several others) and if they get it first it will make them an even juicier target, plus the furs and inscense in the north of their territory.

It will be easier to prosecute a war with your neighbours than with Egypt. I think you need to spend a whiles improving your territory and building up your defensive forces and culture before your next war but you could go straight in with all those Immortals you got stockpiled, just without pikemen for support

I think everyone is right to say get more workers but you have done okay there and have enough for now so I would change build orders to Pikes or Temples
                        A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

I have not had a chance to download the game - I'm viewing this thread at work - but I just wanted to say, skip temples, build libraries! Libraries add to your research, generate more culture and are cheap for the Persians (as with all scientific civs). So, libraries galore!

All the points made above are excellent. I might digress from researching Republic, however. Republic goes around pretty quick. Monarchy will be fine if you've got war on the mind, and at Regent, building enough libraries and trading well, Monarchy will allow you to be the tech leader - once you've taken out your Northern neighbors, especially Babylon.

Babylon can give you a real run for the money if you let them live. They are often your chief competitor for Wonder building, and they always seem to have the resources to defind their empire to an insane degree. Your immortals are still good. Send up past the Zulus into Babylon. Destroy Babylon and emerge on top. With all those industrious workers, you can have a dual core which will be the envy of the world and basically assure your success, regardless of what victory type you crave (except Diplomatic I suppose, there's no garuntee of that).
                          You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

Working...
                          X