No announcement yet.

River squares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been wishing for navigable rivers since Civ I, and by navigable I mean rivers that ships can enter. I want to be able to sail a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies (sorry ).
    One OS to rule them all,
    One OS to find them,
    One OS to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.

Comment

Look!! The girl with collitis goes by!!!!!
      One OS to rule them all,
      One OS to find them,
      One OS to bring them all
      and in the darkness bind them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
        Yeah, I think it was clever to remove that bonus, wasn't very realistic. Too helpful for exploration.
        I think it was VERY realistic. In the ancient days the rivers were the main transportation roads.
        Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

I think the change was made more to deal with the switch to tile-edge-running rivers and to maintain game balance than to increase realism (and I agree that it actually reduced realism). Rivers already newly provide a free aqueduct and far more extra trade than in previous versions (almost twice as many tiles affected per river); keeping the movement bonus would be overkill. Also, now that rivers run between squares, deciding how to implement the bonus would be tougher -- if you have to stay on one side of the river, how is that realistic? And yet if you can flip among sides of the river while using such a bonus, then why bother adding a bridging ability (which otherwise is strategically very interesting) to the Engineering advance?

In favor of keeping the bonus (a moot point, but...), though, is the extra balancing factor of the movement penalty from rivers being even more brutal than in the past, since you can no longer build yourself a bridge pre-engineering just by founding a city on a river.

USC
          "'Lingua franca' je latinsky vyraz s vyznamem "jazyk francouzsky", ktery dnes vetsinou odkazuje na anglictinu," rekl cesky.

Comment

Perhaps we can wish for it in Civ4. Civ3 doesn't really have major river systems with many tributaries. I guess we could assume that the rivers on the map are major rivers and we just can't see the tributaries due to the scale of the map.

It would be cool to have the ability to have a huge river system such as the Amazon, Nile, Columbia, Yangtze, etc. that is navigable. Of course we would want to also include natural events such as floods that would affect your cities.

Comment

I've heard that Viking longships will be added as a pre-galley sea transport unit for all civs in c3c. Historically, one of the advantages of the longship was that it was able to sail in shallow water such as rivers. The Vikings sacked Paris with the aid of longships sailing down the Seine from its Atlantic mouth. They laid seige to the islands in the Seine and order theParisians to destroy bridges to the right bank so they could sail their longships South for more plunder. When the seige failed, the Vikings picked their longships out of the river and moved them past the islands on land , rolling them on top of logs. They placed them back in the water and continued South. I want to do that in a civ game!

Comment

They had Major and Minor rivers in Colonization so it is possible.

Comment

Working...
                X