2-3 questions about new game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-3 questions about new game

Here it goes... I'm trying to get a new (and first unaltered) deity game and I'm really not able to get by, even if I've read all post on this site, practically.

What is for you a good site from the start for your capitol ? and what is the difference between a good and a great site ?

so, Is it absolutly capital that we FIND a settler from goddy hut ? but if not, what is your work order for your first 2-3 city (including capitol) ?

and, is there a trick to do to get more from goddy hut ? I mean is there a way to always get something good (an dnot those barbarians tribe) from them ?

Is the Great Library the wonder that give the absolute edge from a winning game or a losing one ?

Now about my game. I'm trying to play the french, because of there industrious and commercial ways. Is it a good choice ? I now that on the forum you've all said what your best civ is.

the top number city have been able to create from a good start is 5 (have iron, horse and 1 luxuries=wine) And not able to keep up in military with other civ and in city. An other thing is that even if a try the day trader routine for tech, the AI is demanding ridiculus sum of gold from me to get it. And it seems that I'm the only on to have more than 50 gold when I want to sell my new tech to other civ, so there could be time where I'm selling Iron Working for 18 to 30 gold to 2-3 civ and I've bought it for 170 gold and 7 per/turn, is it normal ?

Well, that's it. It's my first post and I know that my writing is not perfect, but my understanding is quite ok

thx to all for your 2 cents

Re: 2-3 questions about new game

Originally posted by forwax
    "What is for you a good site from the start for your capitol ? and what is the difference between a good and a great site ?"

IMO a good site is one that has a cow and some bonus grassland and a lux near.
    A great site has two luxs close by and a second cow/wheat.

"so, Is it absolutly capital that we a settler from goddy hut ? "

Well until PTW came out I never saw a settler from a goody hut, so it is not required. If you want to get one, it is not hard. If the AI has more cities, you have no setter built or queued, you have a fair chance.

"Is the Great Library the wonder that give the absolute edge from a winning game or a losing one ?"

I don't get it emperor or deity more often than not.

"Now about my game. I'm trying to play the french, because of there industrious and commercial ways. Is it a good choice ? I now that on the forum you've all said what your best civ is."

Yes, it is fine.

Comment

How did you get on with monarch & emperor levels, forwax?

Comment

skiped it... Always, since civ1, played the easiest game to know what i'm playing (to what button do what and how it work) then sometime I will play 1 degree less than the tougher level or begin to play a the toughest game... all of this because I'm head strong (in french we say "tête de cochon" )

I'm starting a new game now at deity on pangea map and I think I have a great site for a start (cow and wheat + 1 luxurie from the start and another lux 5-6 tile from my capital... AND iron and horse 5-6 tile from the capitol too.

It just that at 16 civ even on a huge map every body is close (and worst of all, zulu, japan and viking are my closest enemy). will a to REX a bit better then what I'm used to.

Comment

forgot to tell that my capitol is on a river and that there is a lot of them on the continent (i guess)

Comment

Originally posted by forwax
            ... all of this because I'm head strong (in french we say "tête de cochon" )
            A sign of greater "head strength" would be to try and figure out how to beat the game yourself at a lower difficulty level, rather than asking others how to do it here!

But seriously, you don't need a great start, or a free settler, or the Great Library to beat Deity. In fact, there is no one way to do it, depending on the map. We know at least one person who beats deity even when starting alone on an iceberg.

Comment

alexman who was that? Aeson?

Comment

Yes, Aeson indeed, in his "So very cold..." thread, although the screenshots are now gone and it makes for a much less entertaining read.

Comment

Aeson sure is amazing

Comment

forwax sounds like you are in good shape to me.

Comment

Alexman and Cort Haus are right, so are my wiser side... I should play at lease 1-2 game at a lesser level... Maybe I'll do it if I'm not able to beat the AI with this game.

Comment

I did exactly the same as you, forwax. The difference is that I realized my mistake and went down to monarch. After beating monarch easily I went to empire and discovered that wasn't that much of a challenge either. Now I have to choose between a near guaranteed win and a near guaranteed loss.

*can't wait to try demi-god*

PS. Remind me never to play against Aeson in multiplayer

Comment

Actually, it wouldn't be all that hard to use the editor to create a "demi-god" level. I've thought a time or two about reconfiguring Deity to give the AI the other Deity-level bonuses but not the extra settler and see how that works.

Comment

Nathan, would you mind trying that with the latest iteration of the AU Mod? I've wanted to have an AU Mod+ to play around with for a while.
                            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

this is what my game look like for now at 70 AD... I think I got a "fair" game.

AD_70.SAV

Comment

Working...
                              X