No announcement yet.

Best threads of the past year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generally speaking, if it was written by ToeTruck, it's worth reading.

to MS for taking on a whole bunch of work that none of us were willing to do.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Wow. Get a power outage, come back in a couple of days, and look at all the work....

Two things I didn't see much of while glancing through.

1) Demo games - might be worth mentioning what they are. No big deal as it is not really a strategy thing as it is just a method of playing.

2) Multiple team - mostly PBEM games. There is a lot of differences that must be taken into account when you are playing against another human. Don't knwo of much that has been writen about this though.
      If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Hi everybody,

some quick comments:

vmxa1: rtf file?
        why not? if I cannot do it myself, we'll find somebody who can do it.

Konquest02: nitpicking
        the number of chapters and their contents will change a bit, don't worry. We will vote about it later on.
        IFE: if it was a bug and it has been corrected, this thread will be dropped. Awaiting 'official' confirmation.

GarP2 and Arrian: ToeTruck thread about OCC will definitively be included. I'm just awaiting for more comments on/in it...

GodKing: PBEM and Demo games
        Why not putting in a chapter each? THanks, you just volunteered
        But nobody answered my question: who is going to volunteer for editing the threads?
        The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

I will do some. But it will not happen over night for me. Just ask me to do a topic and I will do some research, consolidation, writing, then post it for review. We can then go from there.
          If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

MS RTF is a file type that is used for Word or WordPad. It stands for Rich Text file. It allows for colors and highlights and such. This provides a format that can do a few useful things, but not require a non standard product. You can read it with notepad if it is not too large. Everybody does not have Word, I am guessing. No matter to me, as I have MIcrosoft Office.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Sage
              But nobody answered my question: who is going to volunteer for editing the threads?
              What type of editing are you looking for? Just putting a thread all into a single file with some removal of some items?
              Or are you talking about true editing as in proof reading and spell checking and such?

IOW are you wanting to get the threads pulled into seperate files for some one to clean up later or the whole 9 yards?

Comment

I would like to keep a guide a .doc file, but that's just my personal style. Hopefully the document will be printable easily, but then, not everyone has access to a velobinding machine like me and hence not everyone can make a nice book out of this when it's finished.

I would like to help edit this; I haven't been able to get on 'Poly for a few days. Power outage I guess?
                You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1

What type of editing are you looking for? Just putting a thread all into a single file with some removal of some items?
                  Or are you talking about true editing as in proof reading and spell checking and such?

IOW are you wanting to get the threads pulled into seperate files for some one to clean up later or the whole 9 yards?
                  vmxa1:
                  If people are willing to put a thread (or combine 2-3 threads) into a single logical file, then I can do the proof reading and spell checking.

Then, you post them as new threads with the mention 'Civ3 guidebook'. People will have a last chance of making comments. Then I will do the proof reading and spell checking and 'bind' them on my computer.
                  Once all chapters are done.. the manual is ready.

YS:
                  you could help me in editing some threads first, then, if you still have the courage, I mostly welcome your offer of proof reading and spell checking.

Therefore, for anybody wanting to help in this (I cannot do everything), your job would be most to 'cut & paste' those threads and/or combine some to have one logical thread.

Comment

I have been putting together the undocumented features (eg research costs, what the Demographics mean etc) for a while now, and have a large unedited wordfile of them. The only thing is that so much of it is from 1.17f or 1.21f of the game that it is really hard to know what still holds.

Has anyone got a way to resolve this, IMO the largest problem to deal with in compiling a guide full of USEful info?
                    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Fraid not MWIA. That is a problem with almost all of this. Unfortunately, C3C will also do so many changes I am afraid that whatever we do now will be of only partial worth.

Here is something that kring passed on. I figured it would be a good starter and is not expected to have changed or to be changed.
                      Mike B of Firaxis posted this information about unit promotion. It only applies to unit promotion and not Great Leader probability:

Odds of promotion are based on whether the civ has the Militaristic trait or not and whether the victory was against barbarians or not. Basically, chances of promotion are halved for victories over Barbarians and doubled for Militaristic civs.

non-militaristic civ vs. non-barbarians:
                      conscript to regular: 1 in 2
                      regular to veteran: 1 in 4
                      veteran to elite: 1 in 8

non-militaristic civ vs. barbarians:
                      conscript to regular: 1 in 4
                      regular to veteran: 1 in 8
                      veteran to elite: 1 in 16

militaristic civ vs. non-barbarians:
                      conscript to regular: 1 in 1
                      regular to veteran: 1 in 2
                      veteran to elite: 1 in 4

militaristic civ vs. barbarians:
                      conscript to regular: 1 in 2
                      regular to veteran: 1 in 4
                      veteran to elite: 1 in 8

If a victorious unit fails to get promoted, it will always be promoted upon surviving any other battle in the same turn . This gives an obvious advantage to defenders as well as an incentive to use the same offensive units for additional battles whenever possible.

Comment

Both .rtf and .doc are typically bad formats to write guides in. .ps or .pdf are the best choices, but .txt also works. The thing is that .rtf and .doc requires windows, which isn't something everyone has. Post Script and pdf works on all systems and so does .txt I think (I know it works in windows and unix, not sure about mac).

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Sage
                          Therefore, for anybody wanting to help in this (I cannot do everything), your job would be most to 'cut & paste' those threads and/or combine some to have one logical thread.
                          Sounds good to me.
                          You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

Ok,
                            I started on the Guide (chapter 2 so far).
                            I REALLY need some people to cut and paste chapter 18 'specific civs'. Can somebody prepare 1 updated document for each civ?
                            Thanks a lot,
                            MS

Comment

This is Really impressive. Excellent work.

MS: Have you visited the german webring forum? They have a similar structure. You should take a look if you need some inspiration.

If you still are working on this in november I'll volunteer to help. RL should be a bit more quiet by then.
                              Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

First time I have been able to get onto poly for a week. Still recovering from Lasik. Once done, I should hopefully be able to help out a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X