Question for the strat people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the strat people

Does anybody know why sometimes when you connect your iron and are building warriors they switch to swords, and sometimes the que stays as warriors until that build is finished? I have noticed about a 50/50 chance in my games (when I am paying attention).

We are about to hit this in the C3DG and wish to do a bit of planning.
    If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

I am not sure (which is mind-boggling to me), but I think it has to do with how many shields a given city has at the time of the research advance... less than say, a Warrior, and it stays on Warrior, whereas if on that turn you end will end with more than a Warrior, then it switches to the Warrior-upgrade unit.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Good question...looking forward to a definite answer.

Dominae
      And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
        Good question...looking forward to a definite answer.

Dominae
        As am I.

I am not sure (which is mind-boggling to me), but I think it has to do with how many shields a given city has at the time of the research advance... less than say, a Warrior, and it stays on Warrior, whereas if on that turn you end will end with more than a Warrior, then it switches to the Warrior-upgrade unit.
        That sounds good, and makes perfect sense. Hopefully someon can conferm/deny it.

Comment

Interesting Theseus. I will have to do a mod and test that in the near future. Thanks. Any other ideas (or actual answers) are appreciated.
          If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Not sure, but I have noticed it too.

Comment

Just throwing a guess into the mix, maybe has to do with if the city is being manually managed or computer managed.

Where's a Firaxian when you need him.

Actually, I think they look at CFC more often than poly though.
              badams

Comment

Originally posted by badams52
                Just throwing a guess into the mix, maybe has to do with if the city is being manually managed or computer managed.

Where's a Firaxian when you need him.

Actually, I think they look at CFC more often than poly though.
                Well, CFC isn't down for 6 hrs during business each day. I would like the answer to this question as well

Comment

Just a thought, but are all of those cities hooked up. IOW does the city that stays on warrior show Iron in the box?

Comment

As far as I can recall, within the same game I've never seen some of my connected cities switch over to Swordsmen while others stayed on Warrior. It's an all or nothing thing. This leads me to believe it could very well be an update bug (like when you, say, Gunpowder through the diplomacy screen but cannot trade your extra Saltpeters until you exit and initiate diplo again).

Dominae

Comment

vmxa just hit on my first thought. In my games, I've never noticed a city that was connected fail to switch to the upgraded build.

I'm almost sure Theseus' proposition isn't the case, as I want to say my cities that were set that turn to build unit A also switch to unit B immediately.

The more I think about it, Warriors disappear from the build list when you get the Iron hooked up. On the premise that this is the trigger for cities to switch (which is shaky due to cities completing unit production when a resource is disconnected), I would say that the cities that don't switch still have Warriors in the list, and therefore are most likely not hooked up to the Iron.
                      Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

by 50/50 I meant to say the either the current builds in all cities switch, or none do. 50/50 was in the number of games, not the number of cities.

Comment

GodKing, that somehow makes more sense and is more puzzling all at the same time.

I've never seen none switch (that I remember), and all I can think of is it may have something to do with the governor settings, though off-hand, I'm not sure what.
                          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

The city switches to the last buildable unit in the upgrade path only whenever you discover (or trade for) any new tech. If you simply connect a resource, the build remains the same until you get a new tech.

Comment

So even if you hook up Iron while you're building Warriors you'll still get to build them until you research or trade for any arbitrarty tech, say, The Republic? It seems to me like the game also checks for the upgrade path when a city completes a unit/improvement, too...

Dominae

Comment

Working...
                              X