City Placement Scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Placement Scenario

Probably part 2 of the Glory of War Dtrategy series...

City placement, we see alot of theory and perfect examples, but how do the placements differ on one map?

Place your cities on the main part of this continent, if possible numbered for placement order. There are 2 other civs in the NW. Large map, continents.

I might make another one later on that is significanly different (ie an island or a straight of land).
    Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
    King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
    ---------
    May God Bless.

It helps if I attach the image...
    Attached Files
    King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
    ---------
    May God Bless.

Comment

Here's mine...

Numbers are not too accurate, but maybe +-2 or so. #12 might be a bit earlier if I need to block off that peninsula sooner.

edit: #2 is temporary.
      Attached Files
      ---------
      May God Bless.

Comment

Looks good to me, but it depends on your neighbors. Only two, eh? Probably pretty decent, and keeps your neighbors out. On the other hand, if your culture doesn't expand quick enough, there's room for some AIs to plunk down cities in your core area there (nice land, too!) You might want to pack 'em in even tighter... but if you're REXing well, your placement looks good to me. Then again, what do I know?
        You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

Just FYI, the newest discovery in city placement is called RCP, and it's described in a strategy article over at CFC.

Just make sure all your fancy plans place as many cities as possible at equal distances from your capital (or FP).

Comment

Interesting thread idea.

Allot would depend on the proximity of my neighbors. 2&3 are camps, 6&7 would be higher if I had a close neighbor, but after 4 or 5 I would be itching for someone to go and bonk on with archers, assuming I hadn't already. 11 is late because I rely on archer rushing allot, depending on civ chosen there as well I guess then...
            Attached Files
            One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
            You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by alexman
              Just FYI, the newest discovery in city placement is called RCP, and it's described in a strategy article over at CFC.

Just make sure all your fancy plans place as many cities as possible at equal distances from your capital (or FP).
              That was indeed very interesting. learning new ideas all the time
              One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Re: City Placement Scenario

Originally posted by Panzer32
                Probably part 2 of the Glory of War Dtrategy series...
                I don't think this is really a Dtrategy thread, more like a Dtrategic Exercise or Dtrategic Comparison.

In which case it would be Dtrategic Exercises - Volume One.

Comment

I see UnOrthO is a true "Zenner"
                  A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

btw, I'm surprised no-one has put the two southern gold hills on a city's immediate radius... with a commercial civ a city over there would not suffer that much corruption and can rack up major $$ for the empire.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

ok, here's what i'd do and why: (btw, everyone is doing 12 cities so me too)

1) capital. as is.

2) first core city, has 3 bonus grasses and can chop some forest for rushing early improvements.

3) first military camp site, can rush barracks with forest too

4) 2nd core city, gets the grapes

5) 2nd military camp should be of use for a planned swordsman rush

6) 3rd core city gets the iron, will be corrupt but for the moment, iron is all that matters

7) 4th core city, locks the dangerious 4-tile gap between 6 and 2 in case there's an enemy to the NE.

8) 5th core city, gets the cow, locks the 3-tile gap in the NW.

9) 6th core city, gets the gold (rush a temple to get both)

10) 3rd Miltiary camp. Pretty crappy land, not worth a core city there.

11) 7th core city pushes the border a bit to the NW and can get the horses.

12) 8th core city just to cover space, land isn't too good either but it's a safe spot.

Depending on the nature of the game, should a dangerous enemy be to the NW, then perhaps 8 would be built instead of 7. Either of these two cities are interchangeable depending on where the greatest threat is, to the NW or NE...
                      Attached Files

Comment

I hadn't notice that second gold, actually. I'm having a hard time making what ANY of this is at this res, actually.

I moved the capitol N to incorperate the mountain in it's radius. This also allowed my two camps to have immediate access to two bonus grass each while the capitol would work 1 bonus grass and the wheat to act as a settler/worker pump.
                        You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

I didn't move it because It's radius after turn 10 would have netted the 2 other bonus grasslands and wheat, since the granary would still have taken much more time to build by the time it did you could have gotten the wheat irrigated even with a non-industrial civ.

However, because of the mountain and also an extra forest to chop, moving the capital like you did also seems like a smart move.

Comment

On Master Zen's map, I would put #10 as #2. With a start like that, a Granary is a must, which means the Wheat tile will go to waste every three turns (4+4+4=12, but only 10 Food required to grow with a Granary). That extra Food is really useful in early growth. Food should always be prioritized early on, regardless of whether pure REX is the goal. Bonus Grasslands are fine tiles but not as good as bonus Food.

Edit: I'm wondering why Master Zen prioritized site 2 at all. It's not River-adjacent, does not have access to a bonus Food tile, and competes with the capital for Bonus Grassland tiles. It would probably be the last of the cities I build in that "ring" at ~equal distance around the capital.

Dominae
                            And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

By the way, unless you're playing Expansionist and get to take a better look Turn 1, it is impossible to know that there will be a Wheat tile within the starting location's city radius (nor much else, for that matter). Conceivably you could move the Worker NE before the Settler and spot the Wheat, but you could just as well have moved it NW as well (you might even decide to move SE onto the Silks for some early Commerce and Happy Faces). Anything beyond this is information you're not privvy to in a normal game.

With the information at hand, the right play is to build the city immediately.

Dominae
                              And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Working...
                              X