What to do with a trillion workers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with a trillion workers?

In my current game(Ottomans) the game flows pretty slowly. Jungles prevented early contact and I wasnt tech whoring enough, so it's ~1400AD now and the advanced civs are researching Physics and Democracy...

Since the game is long, civs had plenty of time to build workers, and I warred a lot.

At this point, I have ~15 of my own workers and countless Indian, Scandinavian and Persian ones.

I dont want to kill them because it's wasteful, and I cant incorporate them into my empire since most of my cities are already at size 12.

I roaded every possible mountain tile and cleaned every jungle in my territory, and I just invaded the Persians against just to grab more jungle territory and have someplace to the send the workers to.

So what do you do with all the extra workers?
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

If you have that many captured workers and nothing to do with them, I'd consider disbanding your own workers to save gpt. Then just fortify your captured workers in various towns. Once you get to steam power then break 'em all out again and voila...instant railroad network (assuming you have coal in your city radii). Since the Ottomans are industrious your captured workers will still work quickly enough.

Comment

own workers work quicker than captured ones... just fortify them ad wait for railroad, as I do it

without early contact the AI usually outtechs me, why is it they suck so much in your game?

Comment

I usually keep the "captives" from civs that have been eliminated from the game as a cryogenic workforce (thaw when tiles become polluted). All of the captured workers from existent civs are then emancipated and sold/given back to that civ.

I feel so Republican when I do that.

Comment

Disband your workers and save the maint. So what if they work faster, just use twice as many slaves and come out at the same point with 1 gpt per worker saved. Join your workers to a city if that works else disband in a city that is building something for the 2 shields.
          In games where I have a lot of workers slaves and get to the point that I have little work for them, I just fort them up in stack around the empire. I do not put them in the city as it is a pain to get them out and to move them to one focal point city. They are easy to spot sitting on the map in plain sight. I tend to put them into stacks of 8 as that will clear pollution in one turn. Later after replacememnt parts, you can often do it faster, but I hold them together for mountain squares. The size can be any that works for you.

Comment

I'd wait until after you've finished railroading all your land and then get rid of your own workers. I like to keep my workers around while railroading because they work faster. But afterwords, join your workers into cities and keep slaves for the eventual pollution and you should be good to go.

BigD
            Holy Cow!!! BigDork's Back!

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?

Comment

Disband

With a glut of foreign workers, there is no need to pay to keep any of your native workers. Yes, your workers are twice as efficient as foreign labor but with such an surplus you really don't need the speed of your native workers.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDork
                I'd wait until after you've finished railroading all your land and then get rid of your own workers. I like to keep my workers around while railroading because they work faster. But afterwords, join your workers into cities and keep slaves for the eventual pollution and you should be good to go.

BigD

See my post above and stop holding those workers IF you have enough slaves. That is the key, if you have enough slaves to handle the work quickly.
                Those 15 workers he mentioned cost 15 gpt, that is better used else where. No work is going undone without the native workers. No work willbe completed sooner.

Comment

hi ,

build airfields , watchtowers , sell them to nations , .....

this a great deal to make nations agry at each other , .....

let them join cities , aldo slowly , one , max two foreign ones in a size twelve city , .....

have a nice day
                  - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                  - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                  WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

pang, he does not have Steam yet, so I doubt he can make airfields and watch towers.
                    Selling to others is an option, but I am not fond of letting them have workers as that may help them and depending on the level, they may not have money.
                    He said all cities were at size 12 already (probably not strickly correct).
                    Those are things to consider though. The bottom line to me is they do not cost me anything.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                      pang, he does not have Steam yet, so I doubt he can make airfields and watch towers.
                      Selling to others is an option, but I am not fond of letting them have workers as that may help them and depending on the level, they may not have money.
                      He said all cities were at size 12 already (probably not strickly correct).
                      Those are things to consider though. The bottom line to me is they do not cost me anything.
                      hi ,

he can find new cities , and as for the rest , he can stack them till he needs them , ..... you dont need steam for watch towers , ......

and other use ; plant forests on plains and tundra , ..... and all other places where you like it , you need loads of workers for that , .....

have a great day
                      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Hold them for RR, but don't fortify them in a city (unless they're in danger, of course). Go ahead and get four slaves (if you're in Dem) positioned on each square of your initial RR line, as far as you can make it stretch. Boom, one turn RR line connecting every city (assuming you have enough). If you aren't desperate for gold, I'd hold onto a dozen of those wonderful native industrious workers, if not all 15, and line them up around Istanbul, two per square, for RR purposes.

Also, go through and check all your size 12 cities, then minimize excess food by mining, thereby maximizing production before you get Sanitation and will want to re-irrigate some of those tiles. Once you start building RR's, do this again to account for RR in irrigated squares, and (IMO) beeline for Rep Parts, effectively doubling your workforce when you get it. Only after RP and San would I look at getting rid of my native workers, and then I'd give an instant boost to my powerhouse cities (as some wise poster said, more pop = more of everything). It may also be feasible to go ahead and disband those workers, then spend 15 turns production right before getting SP to build them back (obviously from your size 12 cities with full foodboxes). You'll end up with the same number of workers when you need them, but will save the maintenance costs until then.

Depending on your empire size, I wouldn't get too worked up about grabbing more jungle to clear, unless you're afraid of getting shut out on coal or rubber.

Panag brings up something that slipped my mind, too. Go ahead and forest all your tundra tiles, and every plain and grassland tile that isn't in a city radius (never too early to get a jump on global warming, if we ever did determine that trees help slow GW ).
                        Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi
                          Hold them for RR, but don't fortify them in a city (unless they're in danger, of course). Go ahead and get four slaves (if you're in Dem) positioned on each square of your initial RR line, as far as you can make it stretch. Boom, one turn RR line connecting every city (assuming you have enough). If you aren't desperate for gold, I'd hold onto a dozen of those wonderful native industrious workers, if not all 15, and line them up around Istanbul, two per square, for RR purposes.

Also, go through and check all your size 12 cities, then minimize excess food by mining, thereby maximizing production before you get Sanitation and will want to re-irrigate some of those tiles. Once you start building RR's, do this again to account for RR in irrigated squares, and (IMO) beeline for Rep Parts, effectively doubling your workforce when you get it. Only after RP and San would I look at getting rid of my native workers, and then I'd give an instant boost to my powerhouse cities (as some wise poster said, more pop = more of everything). It may also be feasible to go ahead and disband those workers, then spend 15 turns production right before getting SP to build them back (obviously from your size 12 cities with full foodboxes). You'll end up with the same number of workers when you need them, but will save the maintenance costs until then.

Depending on your empire size, I wouldn't get too worked up about grabbing more jungle to clear, unless you're afraid of getting shut out on coal or rubber.

Panag brings up something that slipped my mind, too. Go ahead and forest all your tundra tiles, and every plain and grassland tile that isn't in a city radius (never too early to get a jump on global warming, if we ever did determine that trees help slow GW ).
                          hi ,

planting forest does slow down global warming , ........

plains that have a forest on them cant change to desert at ones , the terrain shall change due to GBW in plains again , you see a small message , you can go back and plant it again , ......

not to mention that a forest slows down enemy movements , ......

have a nice day

Comment

plains that have a forest on them cant change to desert at ones , the terrain shall change due to GBW in plains again , you see a small message , you can go back and plant it again , ......
                            Good point, don't know why I never looked at it that way. I've been thinking of the issue as whether or not forests slow down the occurence of global warming, rather than the effects. Of course, that answers my other question of whether jungles slow it down, too.
                            Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi

Good point, don't know why I never looked at it that way. I've been thinking of the issue as whether or not forests slow down the occurence of global warming, rather than the effects. Of course, that answers my other question of whether jungles slow it down, too.
                              hi ,

it does , the jungle goes first and becomes grass , ......

have a nice day

Comment

Working...
                              X