Proposal: Summer Epic Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposal: Summer Epic Challenge

Would anyone be interested in a max-water, 250x250, 24-civ archipelago map game? I know a lot of people don't have the computing power to handle it, but such a game could be an interesting challenge for those who do. I'm thinking in terms of scaling the size-related factors up from a standard huge map (160x160) roughly in proportion to how big the map would be. I'm also thinking in terms of having the person who sets up the game (ideally a volunteer who won't actually be playing) choose a relatively poor and isolated (although not terrible or completely isolated) starting position for the human player. The game could be made a part of the Apolyton University series if there is sufficient interest, but I wouldn't want to put the rest of AU on hold waiting for people to finish such a monster.

By the way, the thing that got me interested in the idea is that I've never played a game with more than 16 civs in it. It seems like it could be interesting to do so.

Playing waterball on Civ3 this summer, with 23 other friends? I AM FOR IT!
    When do we start?
    The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

24 civs, max water, archipelago? I forsee a lot of civs being wiped out before you ever make contact. Sounds like a fun proposition - not that I have a lot of time for civving these days

Comment

Keep in mind that this map will have just over one and a half times the distance across and almost two and a half times the tiles (albeit mostly water) of a standard huge map, with only one and a half times the civs. The OCN will probably be high enough to make the AIs a bit more aggressive than usual, but even so, I don't see a lot of civs getting wiped out in AI vs. AI combat.

What I do see is a long game with real potential for interesting naval operations late in the game, especially if the human's starting position is tough enough to give at least some of the AIs a tech lead when the AIs and human meet.

Comment

Originally posted by nbarclay
          especially if the human's starting position is tough enough to give at least some of the AIs a tech lead when the AIs and human meet.
          WHAT??? The AIs don't already have a tech lead when they meet the human player? What am I doing wrong?

I'd try it... but I hate hard starts cause, well, I suck at Civ, but... what difficulty? Higher than Monarch and I'll just cry the whole game. (Which, although you may find it odd, is MUCH cheaper than heaving my computer monitor out the window.)
          If pigs could fly we'd all have to wear helmets.
          Please don't be envious of my little girlie brain.

Comment

dup post
            If pigs could fly we'd all have to wear helmets.
            Please don't be envious of my little girlie brain.

Comment

the Laughingstock of Apolyton hereby casts his vote: "yea".
              You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

I've been playing a game on Marla's world map (256 by 204 I think) with 24 civs as the Zulus who are isolated enough not to gain from early war.

It's not the wait between turns that takes time; it's more that at some stages of the game you can double your income just by trading world maps thoroughly. Having to talk to most civs every turn or risk losing out in tech does make it very slow.

Even though this is close to a pangea, warfare is not as common or as easy as you'd imagine. The weaker AI's have all been completely peaceful and distance makes war between the stronger civs more difficult.

I'd be worried that you'd end up with the same diplomatic or spaceship victory whatever happened. It's relatively easy to trade up to the front in tech if you are behind especially there's a spectrum of AI positions. Then it's hard to get ahead of the AI's at all even if you sucessfully conquer a few civs. The game is decided almost entirely by superior human trading and building wonders and SS parts faster. You might as well play a normal OCC which has the advantage of being slightly faster.

Comment

I will be fired very soon from my current job, so maybe I will have a lot of time for playing in the summer. Unfortunatly I must give my Notebook back so I will have to by a desktop PC....

Comment

Certainly an interesting exercise, but one that my comp refuses to participate in ("Come on Bessy, you can do it!!"...no such luck).

I therefore volunteer to set up the map. Please feel free to refuse me if you want someone else to do it (alexman and I have shared the last 6 or more AU scenarios).

Dominae
                    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
                      I therefore volunteer to set up the map.
                      Did you set up the map for the Total War AU?

Comment

Originally posted by mimi

I'd try it... but I hate hard starts cause, well, I suck at Civ, but... what difficulty? Higher than Monarch and I'll just cry the whole game. (Which, although you may find it odd, is MUCH cheaper than heaving my computer monitor out the window.)
                        AU games are set up as scenarios where you can pick your difficulty level (and that would make sense for this one whether it's officially part of AU or not). That way, if you're warned in advance that a game is going to be on the tough side, you have the option of stepping down a level from where you normally play.

Comment

Originally posted by cumi

Did you set up the map for the Total War AU?
                          Alex was responsible for creating that monster.

Comment

Dominae, how about if I set up a generic 250x250, 24-civ map scenario and send it to you, and you supply the specific map and starting positions? Sorry about your not having the computing power to participate.

Comment

Why do you need to send me a generic map (I can generate one on my computer just fine)? Just wondering if I'm missing something here.

Dominae
                              And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Working...
                              X