No announcement yet.

Another word on AI worker ineffieciency, and about combined arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About this naming thing, am I correct in assuming that is only in PTW? Is there a mod that could let me do that for regular civ3? If I could do that I'd be more obsessive than you. I'd name every unit and give every ship a unique name, except for galleys, galleons, and transport ships, I always thought they'd be more than one ship. I'd name carriers after leaders, battleships after cities, and everything smaller than that would be names like "Dauntless" or "Alacrity". I'd name the units after where they were built, like the "Leeds Rifles" or the "Seattle Volunteers". When you say you name divisions of consisting of a certain amount of units, are those armies that you name?

BTW, is there anywhere I can download PTW for free?
    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Not legally.

Comment

Not legally.
        Of course not. I don't care whether it's legal or not.
        "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

About this naming thing, am I correct in assuming that is only in PTW? Is there a mod that could let me do that for regular civ3? If I could do that I'd be more obsessive than you. I'd name every unit and give every ship a unique name, except for galleys, galleons, and transport ships, I always thought they'd be more than one ship. I'd name carriers after leaders, battleships after cities, and everything smaller than that would be names like "Dauntless" or "Alacrity". I'd name the units after where they were built, like the "Leeds Rifles" or the "Seattle Volunteers". When you say you name divisions of consisting of a certain amount of units, are those armies that you name?
          That still wouldn't make you as obsessive as me . All of my ships get named, starting with the first galley, which gets a name like Discovery or Pathfinder. From that point up to Mass Production my ship names are all over the map, depending on my mood at the moment and the circumstances of its building. My battleships are named after cities, my later transports are named after amphibious landings. My carriers are named after leaders, myself, my grandfathers, my dad, my brother, Pat Dye, Bo Jackson, Tracy Rocker, etc. My cruisers get named after battles throughout my history.

I'm not talking about armies, I'm talking about my own organization of my forces. For instance, my first eight tanks will become the 1st Tank Division, and as each is built, it will be numbered from 11th to 18th, then the next one goes to 21st and so on. My armies go down the phoenetic alphabet, starting with Army Group Alpha and going through Bravo, Charlie, Delta, etc. The 12th Armor Division may be assigned to Army Groups Golf and Hotel, for example, though. Like I said, for me, it adds a whole new dimension to late game war, as well as being practical (how many times have you wondered 'uh, which transport has six moves left and which is done again?') and letting you keep better track of your units with less effort.
          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I tried to name all my land units, but it got to tedious.

In my last standard map game, I'd give each unit a general name

ie: 1st Army Armor , 1st Army Artillery

Now, I just name my ships. More manageable. I give my transports different names depending on their duties. A transport carrying a Great Leader will get named something like

Washington ONE. A transport ferrying troops between two points are named depending on where they are ferrying goods to. One of my transports is called the Bombay Express.
            AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
            Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
            Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

Originally posted by johncmcleod

Of course not. I don't care whether it's legal or not.
              I paid for the right to use that software so why shouldn't you? People who pirate software raise the price for those who buy it legally.
              Formerly known as Masuro.
              The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

I paid for my Civ III and PTW, but being somewhat pratical here, people who use pirated software to contribute something back.

Some of them actually round out the communities of many games. I remember my StarCraft days and like half of the people on Battlenet would be illegals with pirated CDs. It was a little funny, but then again, they made sure bnet was busy and I could always play against someone when I want to.

I don't condone piracy however since I did work for that money, and $90 (Civ III + PTW) Canadian is no small change for a starving college student.
                AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
                Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
                Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

Let's stay on topic here

Before the thread gets closed...

I don't name any of my units, mainly because I like to see immediatly what type they are when right clicking on a stack.
                  Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
                  King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
                  ---------
                  May God Bless.

Comment

Late in the game, I will typically automate all my slave workers, and hold a few (2-3) native workers for special work (tweaking tiles to get my cities exactly where I want them, pop-wise, after RR's & Hospitals. My natives run around mining or irrigating until I have each city just where I want it, and then those guys get added to cities. The slaves handle pollution cleanup and that's it.

The only units I rename are leader-producers. Otherwise, I can't be bothered.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                    X