Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terrain improvements you should /should not do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrain improvements you should /should not do?

I started this thread, because I wanted to summarize the know-how about the terrain improvements. I read different threads, where I found what terreain improvements in which government types are useless or very usefull.

I mean things like: mining the shielded grassland or mining cattle on plains.... Or the "over-irrigation" in despotism.

I think a lot of civ3 players are wasting their workers' time for improvements, that doesn't bring anything.

Please post here all the tips or tricks you know!

cheers

cumi

mining shielded grassland and cows give you +1 shields just like mining normal grassland or plains not sure why you wouldn't do it if you need shields and its not already irrigated..

The only thing I know of is about irrigating in despotism, you can only irrigate plains, wheat, cattle, etc. I think to get the bonus
    ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Originally posted by ghen
      mining shielded grassland and cows give you +1 shields just like mining normal grassland or plains not sure why you wouldn't do it if you need shields and its not already irrigated..
      Actually, I always mine the shielded grasslands.

I also mine the grasslands without shield, but after despotism I irrigate them.

Comment

I always mine the shielded grasslands as well. You do get the extra shield which I really like. Unlike cumi though I irrigate the shielded grasslands when I leave despotism. This since a golden age gives you an extra shield from tiles that ALREADY produce at least one shield. Hence you'll get two extra shields during your golden age with this tactic instead of one.

Comment

How about plains? Grasslands are pretty much a no-brainer during despotism but plains are a trickier lot, do you irrigate or mine?

Usually depends on the city IMO, sometimes I irrigate some of the plains and mine the others to achieve a nice balance of food and shields (usually on cities which are surrounded by plains)

NEVER mine wheat or cow plains in despotism, I've seen some people do it and it's a total waste of food...
          A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Originally posted by Master Zen
            NEVER mine wheat or cow plains in despotism, I've seen some people do it and it's a total waste of food...
            I'll sometimes mine a wheat on plains -- especially in a city near flood plains where food is plentiful and shields hard to come by.

Although titled "Improving Your Opening Play Sequences," cracker's tutorial on the early game really focuses on tile improvements and is the best I've seen -- click on the link in the opening post of this thread.

Catt

Comment

I always irrigate plains. Always. In all circumstances. Grasslands are of course trickier, but in my mind you should always irrigate plains. 1f2s just isn't as good for the long-term growth of the city like 2f1s is. If you need shields, mine the grasslands, hills, or deserts that are surely in the city radius (I have yet to found a city that was ENTIRELY on plains).

Here's one you should never do: Never chop down a forest with Game on it. 2f2s and you can road it. That's a pretty good deal, especially when the Game is on a Tundra square.

Comment

Nakar: but if this forest is on plains i f you chop it it will be 2f2s if mined, 3f1s if irrigated and a bonus from RR; RR bonus don't work on forest.

I played DyP, it's quite fun with improcments. When it comes time when you can irrigate or mine you should have all the tiles roaded so irrigation/mining goes very fast .
                One thing is that that mine is available not till Middle Ages, but that's a different issue

Comment

Originally posted by Nakar Gabab
                  I have yet to found a city that was ENTIRELY on plains.
                  I had quite a lot of times cities with only plains and ocean available.

Here's one you should never do: Never chop down a forest with Game on it. 2f2s and you can road it. That's a pretty good deal, especially when the Game is on a Tundra square.
                  Yep!

Comment

Question about clearing forest:

How do you know (in case that's on a grassland) if there is a simple grassland or shielded grassland under the forest?

Comment

You don't.
                      Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

On a tundra tile, I'd agree with you. Otherwise, I disagree. Especially if you're industrious. I've had situations where chopping the forest & irrigating the game got me to +4 or +5 food/turn. Irrigated game on grassland gives you 4 food (under despotism). Irrigated game on plains gives you 3f, 1s. Toss in the 10 shield bonus for chopping, and I'd say there certainly are situations where chopping the game is worthwhile.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

On a tundra tile, I'd agree with you. Otherwise, I disagree. Especially if you're industrious. I've had situations where chopping the forest & irrigating the game got me to +4 or +5 food/turn. Irrigated game on grassland gives you 4 food (under despotism). Irrigated game on plains gives you 3f, 1s. Toss in the 10 shield bonus for chopping, and I'd say there certainly are situations where chopping the game is worthwhile.

-Arrian
                          hi ,

even when you are industrious you should not do that , only if you can rebuild the forest in the same or next turn , ....

have a nice day
                          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

I disagree, Panag.

2 food, 2 shields
                            3 food, 1 shield
                            4 food, 0 shield

That's what you can get out of a game tile (unchooped, irrigated on plains/mined on grassland, irrigated on grassland) under despotism. Better goverments will improve the food output. But the balance, I believe, remains. 4 food and no shields is just as valueable as 2 food, 2 shields. It just depends on what that particular city needs. If the city is short on food, I'd chop & irrigate. If the city has lots of food, I'll ljust road it.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I also disagree. If I start near a game forest, I chop it immediately, industrious or not. Extra food tiles are scarce under despotism, since irrigation of simple grassland has no effect, and extra food = extra growth, which can be the make or break especially on higher difficulties. It's always possible to make shields by mining.

Comment

Working...
                              X