X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Granaries for pumps.

Barracks for military camps and cities.

Walls where needed.

I love temples, but unless religious I'd rather depend on luxuries early (Remember the 1337 challenge? 3-tile spacing and two nearby luxuries made for a Roman powerhouse).

That's it for the early game, except maybe the Colossus if I've got a great site. My next priorities will be markets everywhere possible, aquaducts for high food production cities not on rivers, and libraries if scientific.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by skizzed
      I build only settlers in all my cities until I reach another civ. I find defenders are unnecessary as the AI isn't too aggressive early on.
      I would prefer to use at least worriors for explorig or eliminating the destructive barbarians.

I build archers in my last game instead of worriors or spearmen. I used them for archer-rush later, that was quite succesful (eliminating India).

Comment

Originally posted by Konquest02

This strategy is mostly useful if you are playing an expansionnist civilization. Since you pass most of your time building a granary, you quickly fall behind the average number of cities of all the civilizations, a prerequisite for getting settlers from a hut. By making one of your first builds a granary, you maximise your chances to get a settler from a goody hut. Those chances are even higher if you use and exp. civ.

I did this in one of my games with the Arabs and got 2 settlers from huts, before building my first settler in my capital. With that kind of a boost, I managed to pull ahead easily, even in the ancient age.

--Kon--
        Well, yeah, 2 free settlers will do that for ya.

I typically go with 3-4 warriors, then the granary. If I'm non-industrious, I might build a 2nd worker first (depending on the food situation... if I have a lot, I will build the extra worker). The warriors run around popping huts & meeting other civs while I build my granary. I find that getting a settler from a hut is not really all that uncommon if - like you said - I fall behind the average # of cities per civ. And then, if my explorers can manage to bop an AI settler, I'm off to the races.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
        X