Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frostbite: The Vikings' tale

**I like the Winter Terrain Pack in PTW, It adds a nice feel to the game.**

The icy wind lashed the trees unmercifully. The pitiful hut stood, a bold tribute to man's defiance of nature, even in this he stood above the elements, protected from the earth by a thing of his own construction. He forced his horse to a halt, some leader's birthplaces were better honored. The hut stood alone at least, the former home of Prime Minister Ragnar was not a proud establishment, his meager origins were part of his appeal. Catherine's cradle, it was said, lay in a museum, it was golden. Brennus's parent's shanty had been replaced by a great palace, equal to the palace their son commanded from. Every other leader had also moved away from their childhood home, Ragnar had inherited it from his parents and continued to live there. His provincial nature was no mere political ploy. Ulrich knocked politely, yet firmly, on the door. A bearded, grinning face greeted him.
    "Welcome in old freind," Ragnar said, beaming.
    "My freind," Ulrich said embracing him,"It has been too long."
    They sat at Ragnar's meager table, where he served a stew, obviously made for only one.
    "The king should not feast while the peasant's starve," Ragnar said to him. Ulrich smiled, it was this type of attitude that had won Ragnar the heart of the people.
    "It is exactly that which brought me here this evening."
    "What would my greatest general want to know about the famine?" Ragnar seemed perplexed.
    "I have a solution."
    "What?" Ragnar seemed shocked that a cure to Scandinavia's greatest scourge could come from this particular branch of government.
    "We have recently experienced a bout of extremely supportive movements by the populace towards the state, yes?"
    "True, but i can hardly see what nationalism has to do with starvation."
    "I propose that we enlist the starving masses to their nation's defense, we put guns in the hands of the starving. We would take them under our wing, feed them as we save food for their currently starving families."
    Ragnar took his beard in hand and played with it as he spoke.
    "The Domestic department won't approve."
    "What of them? We are saving the people. Oslo could secede if we can no longer provide for her good."
    They had just won Oslo back, it had been one of Ragnar's promises during the election and he had fulfilled it. Russia had also won back Yatusk. Stockholm remained in their control, as it had since the early days of the conflict.
    "But peace has been established. We have no need of such troops."
    Ulrich laughed heartily.
    "You jest! You have been running tthis nation for decades and you still do not grasp the world entirely. You know our allies the British? Archeologists propose that London once belonged to them, it was even their capitail."
    Ragnar shook his head in disbelief, Ulrich's eye was caught by the shadows he threw to the wall distant from his hearth.
    "I cannot see any point in such ponderings, it is ours now, it has been for as long as anyone can remember."
    "The point is that the world has a way of changing it's mind. I present the spanish, we warred with them twice before they joined us against Russia in the first war. Our peace and their agreement to help were only three years seperated. The Celts have changed sides several times in the conflicts, they have simultaniously fought the Chinese with Russia and the Russians with us. Germany has fought on both sides as well. I daresay that if war comes we had best be prepared. If we are i daresay we could liberate Stockholm."
    "I suppose it is so. Command the conscription of one man from each viable, starving city."
    "Yes my leige." With that Ulrich stepped from the hut, remounted his horse and returned to a more modern world.

Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Two stories at once, my word you are going to be busy !
    I really like the sound of this one, nice teaser.
    A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Nice start, I hope you continue both stories SKILORD, I am definitely interested
      Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals....except the weasel -Homer
      Who's up for some scroungin'? -Homer

Comment

Why the two at once:

These stories are a duet, they both convey the same message, though they are antitheses of each other. One is the Story of a great empire, one of a diminuitive kingdom, one world is war torn, another is peaceful. One story is a nation's fall from grace, another is of a nation's ascent to civilized living from modern barbarism.

In one story evil will triumph, in another good will persevere, i won both games.
        Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

Chapter 2: Forging a new hope

The crowd stood in awed silence as the two giants of Scandinavian politics faced off.
          "I call for the abolition of the burguois republic and to form in it's place, the People's Republic of Scandinavia!"
          Luther Chariss's supporters shouted support.
          "War has gone on unhindered in this world, will the murder of your own countrymen sate you?" Ragnar calm voice doused Luther's supporters, and hushed the awed crowd.
          "My freinds, my neighbors. I am a common man, much like you. I understand your feelings of anger towards the government. But will following him really put more food on the table? How selfish is it to steal from your likewise starving neighbor? Yes, moan about the rich if you will. Truth be told there is no food to be had, you are our front line against starvation, in this you are true. But there is no-one behind you."
          Even Luther seemed stunned and silent in the face off this oration. Where he had brought chaos to the crowd Ragnar had brought a peaceful silence. Luther trembled, anyone can raise the proletariot into a frenzy, it takes a master to salve their wounds and calm their spirits.
          Luther stammered a few more phrases, nothing original, quoting Marx. He ended with the call to the workers worldwide to unite, though he felt noone heard him, noone listened. Ragnar's giant figure had entranced them. Peace, he thought was an oddity in this world, it must be fascinating to us to see a man at total peace with himself.

-

The election was close, frighteningly so to both candidates. Ragnar won in the end. A democratic state was to be instated. Luther Chariss faced him after the election, his once firey pleas to the people had been dying down as of late, becoming only halfhearted.

Luther looked into the victor's eyes, shook his hand solemnly and wispered,
          "Thank you."

Comment

A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Well, now that I have read this story, too, I'll say: this here is even better than the other one I am not sure how you will be able to write two stories at once, though. You must have a lot of inspiration there.

Both beginnings sound very interesting though. So, seeing how each successive chapter in these two stories is shorter than the previos post you made, I'd suggest that you finish up one of them and then work on the other. I think you could do a better job that way. Once both stories are finished, we can consider them as one.

Besides, there is no need to hurry, SKILORD. I don't know about everybody else, but I would rather read one great story, and then another great story than two pretty good stories at once.
              XBox Live: VovanSim
              xbox.com (login required)
              Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
              Spore page

Comment

Chapter 3: The Ascent's Begin

The Cossacks had grown tired of peace. Multitudes of soldiers marched silently, intently across the border, they ignored the screams of the farmers they murdered, they burnt the stagnant farms. Birka faced them bravely. Rifles left volly after volly embedded in dead flesh. Horse and man met their match. Russia probed again, but found Oslo too strongly garrisoned. They troops fell back, hoping for time to prepare a defense. They received no such mercy.

-

The horses thundered onward to Stockholm. The word was on every excited Norse lip, grins spread like wildfire as anticipation of conquest seized a naton. The Cavalry surgically destroyed the roads and fldgling railways, they had centuries of practice behind them in the destruction of needed roads. A handfull of remaining Berserkers held their axes high and marched alongside the mounted gods of war. Stockholm.

-

The walls collapsed before the cannon, a single volley found the defenders without defense, unprepared. Charge after charge lead to vistory upon victory. Retreat was not for the Viking troops today. Ulrich himself was to be found among the charging men. A flash came down on the city, a thunderclap left the Russians deafened and frightened. With shouts of "Thor" a final charge was mounted, Valkyres were imagined in every corner of the battle as countless followers of Ragnar found their way to Valhalla. More Russians made it there though. The day was held, and a Temple was quickly built, in the consuming religious fervor of the moment, and proclaimed the church of the Pantheon. A statue of Odin was found and raised high as the victorious soldiers paraded through the streets. Word came of similar conquest to the south, the liberation of Yatusk. Over many a beer was repeated:
                "To Moscow!"

Comment

Very nice. More screenies, please
                  XBox Live: VovanSim
                  xbox.com (login required)
                  Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                  Spore page

Comment

This is extremely good, SKILORD, how much research did you put into the cultural aspects?
                    Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals....except the weasel -Homer

Comment

Gripping stuff SKILORD, some more please !

Ive just realised I keep doing your name in lower case, sorry I'll try to get it right from now on,

Comment

None actually, that just came out, i don't know where from.

As for more screenies i dunno, i'll work on it though.

Comment

Inspiration comes from the heart they say.

Comment

Great job so far, SKILORD. Once again, it takes a lot of drive to sustain two stories at once. Keep it up!

P.S. Screenies please.

Comment

Personally, I applaud your lack of screenies, it forces you to have more descriptive and therefore, better, writing.

Comment

Working...
                              X